The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Not very magical, still... :: Are Magicians & Mentalists negative people.. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1434 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
Or is it just me??
Self concept is destiny..
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I wouldn't have been doing this for 50 years if I was anything but an optimist.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16557 Posts

Profile of tommy
Both negative and positive, otherwise the power wouldn't flow.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
It would seem so from the postings here...

I hope not though. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1434 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
I don't have another gig until 2 months from now, so maybe that's got me bummed out.

I've taking the Briggs / Myers pesonality test twice now, and both times they tell me that I am a INTJ i.e "intuitive introvert" which is they say, is 1% of the population..also known as a "mastermind". I rarely meet people like me, that could have me bummed out too.

I don't know.

Smile
Self concept is destiny..
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21288 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am always amused when people make claims lime Pakar just did.

When you read things on the internet there is almost no context. The tone is added by the reader. It is all about how you read things and not about how they are written. Many posts written tongue in cheek are greatly misinterpreted. So if so many are negative it might be more about you than others.

As for the claim it has not been my experience. I have never once paid for a magic or performance lesson. All of the mentors have just taught me. I do the same. Nothing negative there. Not by a long shot.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Logan, I scored "Mastermind" on the Briggs / Myers, too. Then just as I was planning my evil empire, I had to retake it as part of another project... and got a completely different score.

I'm not so sure it's as useful a tool as some people make it out to be.

Anyway, I consider myself a positive person, but don't have much patience for dealing with difficult people. So to some I would probably come across as fairly negative.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I have taken Myers-Briggs many times (psych major) and always score INTJ. I consider myself relatively jovial.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
I think most magicians I've met have come across as likeable and happy people. However,sometimes "stuff" gets in the way and one might find themselves in a funk but hopefully see it as only temporary.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Also, it's interesting that you ask this in "Not Very Magical, Still," where everybody vents their spleen.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I get down sometimes from the clinical depression and overwhelmed sometimes by the OCD and migraines, but Yoga and meditation have helped me get better at compartmentalizing those problems when they happen. I'm able to tell myself when negative thoughts start pouring in that it's a trick that depression plays, and life isn't all doom and gloom just because that's how I feel at the moment. That usually helps me get out faster. So I think I used to be a very negative person but am mostly positive now.
~Will Rogers
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I think the last time I looked (30 years ago?) I was an INTJ also.

If the criticisms here are accurate it seems fairly worthless as a serious tool: low validity and reliability; lack of positive studies other than in venues supported by the folks who put it out.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
It's particularly useless in the business world (where it seems to be most popular) because it's too often applied by people with poor training, or the wrong training. In psychological assessments it's usually part of an overall battery of tests which are combined to show patterns. At least, that's how it was explained to me in theories of personality class. Luckily, I'm no clinical- so I don't have to do that stuff Smile
~Will Rogers