The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Not very magical, still... :: Amanda Knox (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I've been following this case off and on for nearly a year, and I just looked for new information and found out she was found guilty early in December.

Any thoughts?
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Based on what I read, I think she was guilty of something for which she deserved jail time. I'm not entirely sure what. Maybe they are just guilty of misleading police, in misguided attempts to construct good alibis for themselves. But there seemed to me to be too many inconsistencies in her and her boyfriend's stories and actions for me to accept their innocent pleas. (If I was on a jury, maybe that would not be enough for me to sentence them to jail; but I wasn't on the jury and I also did not see all of the evidence presented, so I can only comment based on what I saw and read.)

[Example of what I've read: "Knox, during an interrogation days after the murder, admitted to being in the house when Kercher was killed, and then accused Patrick Lumumba, her former boss, of the murder (he was later cleared). Sollecito at first said he didn't remember if Knox was with him that night and then said he was at home downloading cartoons, even though his computer and Internet records said otherwise. Confronted with records showing that the cell phones of both suspects were turned off at the same moment the night before the murder and then turned on again the next morning about 6 — Knox and Sollecito told police that they slept until after 10 a.m. — the two changed their story. They also said that Sollecito called the police the morning after the murder, though phone records show the call was made after the police had already arrived at the at the scene of the murder."]

The days after the sentencing, I did not see much about this story the media. But as far as the little I saw went, I was surprised at how the talking heads on television almost uniformly said that she was railroaded. I sort of got the impression that they were pandering to the home team.

What are your thoughts, and what was sentiment like in your part of the world?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
It's been totally under the radar here. There was an article in Der Spiegel about a year ago or so, which I found very interesting. But remember I don't watch television. Maybe there have been a lot of TV reports. I doubt it, though.

I watched a documentary on the case on YouTube and had mixed feelings. If the young woman was railroaded, she certainly did little to help herself with such conflicting testimony. But there seems to be no motive whatsoever for the murder (assuming Knox and Sollecito were involved). I don't buy the "weird group sex thrill kill" scenario.

It's one of those things we'll never know, I suppose. But such cases interest me. Though they shouldn't. It's a voyeuristic sin, to be sure. But how many of us followed the OJ case? That wasn't any of our business, either.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Why would Germans care about the case?

I've watched the case from the start and had mixed feelings. Her reactions at the start were not smart and put her in a bad light. Basically, without getting into it, there was a lot of nonsense going on in that case from the prosicution and while she may have known what the truth was it just doesn't all add up. If Italian prisons have not changed their way drastically then I think she will not have a very good rest of her life, which may not be long. I do feel great sympanth for the victims family as well.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Her appeal is winding down, and she is awaiting the verdict (along with her co-accused and co-convicted former boyfriend).

Will they go free? Or not? Place your bets.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/sep......y-appeal
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
According to Ockham's razor, I think that the prosecutor's hypotheses are far more involved and far more far-fetched than necessary to account for what probably happened. Far more likely that Rudy Guede committed the murder for the usual reasons, and that Knox's and Sollecito's conflicting testimony was the result of what would in the Anglo-Saxon world be considered police and prosecutorial malfeasance.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
I haven't a strong opinion about the case. It will be very interesting to see what happens. However, it is a puzzle to me that she accused her former boss of committing the crime. (Would you accuse an innocent associate of a murder and then let them be arrested and rot in jail for 2 weeks while you go on with your life?) And his testimony about her earlier behavior certainly raises some questions.

Well, we will see.

---

Just saw the item below in the news. At least she is enjoying herself in prison. Smile

It’s jailhouse rock for Foxy Knoxy as ......her fate

If she wins her appeal, you just know she is going to be the new U.S. media darling.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2735 Posts

Profile of RS1963
It's a tough call as I haven't followed this case that much. I have a feeling she was involved in it somehow. I don't know that she was involved in the actual murder but I wouldn't be surprised if she's withholding key information on just who did kill the victim. Why? I don't know could be that her boyfriend was the murderer. The things that don't add up are probably the same thoughts that ones that everyone that thinks she is guilty has.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2011-10-02 18:56, balducci wrote:

If she wins her appeal, you just know she is going to be the new U.S. media darling.

Make that a world-wide media darling.

If she had any tact, she'd go home and hide for a few years before cashing in. As it is, there are probably about fifty ghost-writers out there with FINISHED books just waiting for her to sign the dotted line. Maybe a Playboy photo shoot, too.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I think it is accepted that Rudy Guede was the killer, the question is to what extent Knox and Sollecito were involved.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Rudy Guede was sentenced to 30 years in prison, which on appeal was reduced to 16.

I'll go out on a limb and suggest / predict that something similar happens to Knox and Sollecito. That they have their sentence reduced, or their conviction changed to something less serious with a shorter term to serve.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I suspect that Knox and Sollecito are guilty of nothing more than being too stoned the night of the crime to realize what was going on in the other room.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2735 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2011-10-03 13:52, Woland wrote:
I suspect that Knox and Sollecito are guilty of nothing more than being too stoned the night of the crime to realize what was going on in the other room.

I don't doubt that they may have been impaired but I think they are very far from not knowing exactly what happened.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16557 Posts

Profile of tommy
Her trial was an utter waste of time and money when Obama could have simply put her name on his list.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2735 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2011-10-03 14:02, tommy wrote:
Her trial was an utter waste of time and money when Obama could have simply put her name on his list.

She may very well be on someone's hit list over there anyway and if freed may not even make it back to the U.S. without being in a casket.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Whose do you think?
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
They will announce the verdict at 3:30pm Magic Café time.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2735 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2011-10-03 15:02, Woland wrote:
Whose do you think?

I don't know just someone there that may have been close to the victim or some lone nut could off her. True it's doubtful but there's always that small chance.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
This being 2011, we don't even have to turn on the TV:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/20......deo.html
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Quote:
I don't doubt that they may have been impaired but I think they are very far from not knowing exactly what happened.

The troublesome word in there is "exactly."