The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Not very magical, still... :: R.I.P. Alexis Arguello (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
"El Flaco Explosivo" was found dead yesterday, the result of an apparent suicide. Pound-for-pound, he was one of the all-time greats. He was voted best Junior Lightweight (130 pounds) of the 20th century, and also a top-10 lightweight of the century. 82-8, 65 wins by knockout. Two of those losses came to Aaron Pryor, when he moved up to 140 pounds for a payday, and the first was very controversial, with allegations that Pryor had an illegal stimulant ("Give me the other bottle, the one I mixed" (Pryor's trainer, between rounds)). A tremendous talent, and a classy guy.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
193 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Sad news indeed. I was also an Arguello fan and I can recall seeing most of his high-profile fights. Life is short.

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Alexis Arguello was my favorite boxer of that era. I'll never forget how handsom he looked in that white suit, straw hat, and I'll never forget how hard he punched.

I will also never forget his fight with Jerome Artis, a promising young fighter from West Philly. Jerome's career ended the night he found out how hard Alexis Arguello hit.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Yes,very sad news.He was a great technical boxer...that could also punch.He along with Salvador Sanchez were two of my favorites at that time.
Will we ever see a decade of quality boxing like the 1980's again?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I was also a huge Salvador Sanchez fan, and I think had he not been tragically killed, he would have been considered one of the greatest pound for pound, as well. I would love to have seen an Arguello-Sanchez fight.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2009-07-02 21:50, Al Angello wrote:
Alexis Arguello was my favorite boxer of that era. I'll never forget how handsom he looked in that white suit, straw hat, and I'll never forget how hard he punched.

I will also never forget his fight with Jerome Artis, a promising young fighter from West Philly. Jerome's career ended the night he found out how hard Alexis Arguello hit.

The also dead-before-his-time Jerome Artis. Was definitely never the same post-Arguello. Arguello had so many weapons. Could outbox a guy, or take him out with either hand.

R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
193 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On 2009-07-02 22:16, RicHeka wrote:

I was having this exact discussion very recently! It truly was the "golden" era of boxing imo. On practically any given weekend you could see a major fight on a major network. Names like Leonard, Hearns, Hagler, Mancini, Pryor, Duran, Benitez, Camacho, etc. to name just a few. And of course, Arguello, was a big part of that. Nowadays, who can even name the champions in the various divisions? Furthermore, aside from us guys, very few people have ever even heard of Arguello. The times they are a changing.

Anyway, although Arguello experienced tough times (he admitted to having a drug habit at one time), he was truly a gentleman and a class act. One fond Arguello memory is when he fought and defeated Boom-Boom Mancini. I remember how gracious and loving he was towards Boom-Boom after the decision was announced. He hugged him, praised him, and told him he loved his (Ray's) father, who was ringside. It was genuine and totally self-effacive. A true demonstration of character and class.

Ron
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I had no idea that Jerome Artis was dead.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2009-07-03 10:20, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-07-02 22:16, RicHeka wrote:

I was having this exact discussion very recently! It truly was the "golden" era of boxing imo. On practically any given weekend you could see a major fight on a major network. Names like Leonard, Hearns, Hagler, Mancini, Pryor, Duran, Benitez, Camacho, etc. to name just a few. And of course, Arguello, was a big part of that. Nowadays, who can even name the champions in the various divisions? Furthermore, aside from us guys, very few people have ever even heard of Arguello. The times they are a changing.

Anyway, although Arguello experienced tough times (he admitted to having a drug habit at one time), he was truly a gentleman and a class act. One fond Arguello memory is when he fought and defeated Boom-Boom Mancini. I remember how gracious and loving he was towards Boom-Boom after the decision was announced. He hugged him, praised him, and told him he loved his (Ray's) father, who was ringside. It was genuine and totally self-effacive. A true demonstration of character and class.

Ron

Arguello was extremely gracious. Mancini didn't quite make it long enough to hear the decision, though he got into the 14th (he would have lost a close decision nowadays, with 12-round championship fights).

One thing about that era, if you look at all the guys you named, they're all close to the same weight class, and a lot of them fought each other. I think that's what makes for a memorable era. Every era has some greats, but when they're in very different divisions, you don't get the superfights. From the late 60s to early 70s, you had a magnificent era...for heavyweights. Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Lyle, Norton...Golden eras for middleweights, a decade or two before. I think there are always the guys who are amazingly talented, and when the luck of the draw puts them around the same weight, you get a great time for boxing. It's been close, lately... the Vazquez-Marquez wars were as good any trilogy, and the cluster around the welterweight division lately has been fantastic and produced great fights involving Cotto, Mosley, Margarito...

Having said that, I remember the 80s very fondly...there were awesome fights on FREE TV, it seemed like one or two a month. And a lot of all-time greats were very active. I have a good hope it'll come back around, hopefully soon. By the way, if you get a chance to watch a free replay of last Saturday's Victor Ortiz-Marcos Maidano fight, grab it...I've seen it on once or twice since the fight. Phenomenal. Hagler-Hearns at 140 pounds.

Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Arguello vs Pryor was one of the best fights ever!

RicHeka,
Salvador Sanchez was freakin' awesome. Broke my heart when he was killed.
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
193 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On 2009-07-03 16:24, Jaz wrote:

Which one? Both fights were classics!

Ron
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Quote:
On 2009-07-03 16:24, Jaz wrote:

RicHeka,
Salvador Sanchez was freakin' awesome. Broke my heart when he was killed.

Yes Sanchez being killed right at the middle of his career was just awful.The thing I remember most about him other than his unbelievable boxing skills was his projection of great confidence...not cocky confidence...just a demeanor that he understood the amazing skills he possessed.That confident smile as he sat waiting for the next round to begin....I will never forget.
I was lucky to obtain a tape with many of his fights.I watch it now and then.

RIP Alexis and Salvador.

Rich