The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Not very magical, still... :: Snooker (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
P T Flea
View Profile
Regular user
Engelfield Green, nr Staines - innit
194 Posts

Profile of P T Flea
Hi there, I guess this is the most relevant place on this site for this question, which is directed at anyone from the US:
How big is snooker out there in the States?
I know you have pool n' all but I just adore snooker and play for my university and just wanted to know whether it would be possible for me to emmigrate to the States, because obviously if they don't have snooker tables this would be out of the question!

PT.

Smile
Good judgement comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from
bad judgement.
Smile Smile Smile Smile
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Wow, good question. I worked in pool hall for 7 years & we had a snooker table, I was pretty much the only one who ever used it.

I have been out of the loop for quite awhile, we had a table at the hall here in town & they got rid of it because no one used it (I never got a chance).

You can usually find at least 1 snooker table in the bigger pool halls, finding someone to play with is another story. Most people over here are not used to the size difference & the pockets being so much tighter.

I wish you the best of luck.

Smile
Jim Morton
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Jim Morton
Many pool halls in the bigger cities have one or two Snooker tables. In fact, it's easier to find a Snooker table than a Billiards table.

Jim
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
P T,
I wouldn't count on finding one when you come to Marquette.
You may find one somewhere in Witchita if you're exceedingly lucky.
Best I can offer you is the pool table at honkers and the several pool tables at the senior centre (which are free).
Hope this will satisfy your craving when you come over.

Gonz (LB Magic Inc.)

:carrot: Smile
Hello.
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
Hookers? They're pretty popular but I think they're illegal.

Actually I've been in many a Crud match over here with RAF dudes. That's almost like snooker, except without the cues.

I'll teach you how to play if you make it across the pond (bring your own mouth guard). Smile
Yakworld.
P T Flea
View Profile
Regular user
Engelfield Green, nr Staines - innit
194 Posts

Profile of P T Flea
Wow, thanks for all the help guys. I shall just have to thoroughly research the local facilities then before I move anywhere.

Yes Gonz that ought to quench my thirst for cue sports for the while.

Fancy a frame sometime Ichazod?

Just to let all you snooker/magic fanatics know, we are just about to commence the Benson and Hedges Masters competition over here. Quite a big competition (televised). In case you guys want to follow it:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/snooker
It's updated very frequently.

PT (LB Magic Inc.)

Smile
Good judgement comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from
bad judgement.
Smile Smile Smile Smile
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1031 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
I only know of one place in this area that has snooker tables and it is in Washington, DC (Buffalo Billiards). Larger tables and tighter pockets don't jive with your typical 9-ball crowd, although Allison Fisher could testify that snooker helped her game.

There is a place near me that has several 3-cushion billiards tables and there is a 3-cushion competitor that lives in Arlington, VA.

Most places around us feature the typical 4 1/2 X 9 tables and you will usually see people playing 9-ball, 8-ball, one pocket or 14.1 Continuous (Straight pool).
ME