The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Not very magical, still... :: Legal info - Help please! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
jesswill7
View Profile
New user
London, UK
7 Posts

Profile of jesswill7
Hi everyone,

As well as being a budding magician I am also a final year law student. I am applying for a Master's degree, and for that I need to do an essay on any legal subject. I chose to do it on the legal protection of Magic.

It is quite easy to find lots of stuff on copyright law and patent law in general but much more difficult to find anuything specific on copyright in Magic or the patents of magical inventions, so I'd be very (very) happy if any of you knew anything about it and/or could recommend books and articles on the subjects.

Like most students (in England anyway) I always leave stuff to the last minute so it's got to be handed in soon, agh!

I really hope you can help!

Thanks,

Jessica Smile
Andrewdavidson12
View Profile
Loyal user
England
231 Posts

Profile of Andrewdavidson12
Jessica

I don't have anything specific to help you but I am a lawyer and have access to lots of legal journals, books, electronic info etc.

If I can be of help, let me know.

Andrew
Cliff
View Profile
New user
Warrington, England.
73 Posts

Profile of Cliff
I’d just like to say how nice it is to see two people who admit to being lawyers!
:bigsmile:

Only joking, I use to work for a Law Firm.
All the best

Cliff
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
I'm not a lawyer (and I don't play one on TV), but I would assume all the normal copyright and patent laws apply to magic props, ideas, and routines.

I see no reason that the law would treat them differently.

I HAVE noticed that the magic community has adopted a rather bizarre ETHICAL code, but that's not the subject under discussion.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5935 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Jes,

I have had two total crashes trying to post this d'rned message. Email me directly for some info on this topic. peppermagic@juno.com