The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Not very magical, still... :: Film Festival!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Okay, if I don't write this up I'm going to go crazy. It's going to take a bit of writing, so get a cup of coffee.

Anyway, my digital feature DEN played in three festivals this weekend. I just found out that my lead actress, Dana J. Ryan, won her second BEST ACTOR award for her part in the movie at the New York City Horror Film Festival. She had previously won at the Melbourne Underground Film Festival. So that's great for my movie and for her.

But now for my strange weekend: I went to the San Francisco Underground Film Festival where my feature was to play on Sunday. The attendance was very poor throughout the festival due to San Francisco being in the world series. What that has to do with filmmaking, I'll never know. Anyway, we couldn't get any coverage or press to come out. It was dismal. On Sunday I decided to try to stir up a crowd. I started performing magic in front of the theater. No one stopped. I walked into the middle of a busy street holding a sign I wrote saying, "Last Film Festival Before Highway." No one stopped.

I finally got angry and told the head of the festival it was time to get arrested. I phoned all the hotlines to the local papers and TV stations and said there was a crazed man spitting fire on one of the Bart platforms at 600 Embarcadero. (The Bart is the railroad system in San Francisco.) I then went to the local store and bought a large bottle of Barbecue lighter fluid, a gallon of water and some wood. I started setting up and proceeded to walk onto a Bart platform and started spitting fire, the whole Gene Simmons thing. I got no response from passersby and even one of the Bart engineers saw me and did nothing. I got madder and dropped my pants and continued to spit fire. Now it's a pantless guy spitting fire on city property. I purposely left my pants around my ankles so I would have to shuffle to walk so I looked crazier. I kept shooting fire and walking around and another engineer saw me.

Okay, what do you think happened? Nothing! I had phoned the press to warn them and had been spotted by two employees of the Bart system and nothing happened. Apparently, I can't get arrested in San Francisco. Right now I have a severe cold from dousing myself with water to prevent a bad burn. I still burnt off my mustache by having the wind change quickly and getting three fireballs hit me in the face. I have a bad rash on my neck from all the lighter fluid that ran down my throat. All that and not one line in any of the papers.

I had to get that off my chest.

Greg Smile Smile Smile Smile
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Dude you're insane!!! Smile

I'll have to remember that the next time I'm in San Fran though.

I've always wanted to walk around with my pants around my ankles, spitting fire, now I know where I can do it, legally.

On a tad bit more serious note, sorry the turn out was not what you expected. I have had publicity stunts where few showed up to see me risk my life. So in a small way I know what your going through.
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
knave
View Profile
New user
UK Newcastle
72 Posts

Profile of knave
You should make a movie about it - how about a remake of The Invisible Man?

Dave
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
And there's actually something else I tried that weekend that could have been so illegal and yet no one took notice. As a matter of fact, I'm afraid to write it up for fear that too many eyes will read it. If you want I can send a PM to any who want to know.
It was a crazy weekend.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Billy_zoom
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Billy_zoom
Only in SF!
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
If I had known about it, I would have come & help you do crazy stuff to get people in the theatre Smile

Sorry it didn't work out, I for one really want to see the film.

Smile