The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Not very magical, still... :: "It's worth paying more for...." (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Windows (the kind on your house, not on your computer). I've had cheap windows that leaked air (installation could have been a problem as well), were hard to open/close, difficult to maneuver in order to clean, and were not as energy efficient. If you are going to live with something for years, may as well get good quality.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Quote:
On Mar 22, 2015, Starrpower wrote:
If you are going to live with something for years, may as well get good quality.

mail order brides.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I thought I covered that with the love of a good woman, but I guess it's possible you aren't looking for love. Or, maybe you're not looking for a good woman.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Cameras.

Computers.

Microphones.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Dishwashing liquid.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Quote:
On Mar 22, 2015, landmark wrote:
Dishwashing liquid.

absolutely, because I am the dish washer.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16557 Posts

Profile of tommy
Things made from old coke cans.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
As opposed to the can from an off-brand of soft drink? (When I was a kid they used to make crocheted hats and soda or beer cans)
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16557 Posts

Profile of tommy
I some things made from old coke cans for sale: Trains and Boats and Planes.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Oh sure, I've seen that! I think some of them are true works of art.

Surprisingly, I bought a bag of safety pins at the Dollar Store a few days ago. They are noticeably inferior to non-bargain pins (not as sharp, the clasp was weak and poorly aligned, and the gauge of the wire it was made from is thin). So I'd say is worth paying more for safety pins, particularly if they are going to be near the tender body of a baby.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4389 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I can think of four categories that warrant paying more for:

1. Your health, as in foods with healthy ingredients.
2. Things that will last longer depending upon what you buy. For example, I only buy REAL wood furniture, no particle board for me. Particle board can only take one or two moves before it is destroyed, real wood can last forever if taken care of.
3. A house where you feel like every day you live in a resort.
4. Education. If your child gets accepted into an Ivy League school, figure out how to make it work.

KJ
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5171 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On Dec 29, 2023, 1KJ wrote:

2. Things that will last longer depending upon what you buy. For example, I only buy REAL wood furniture, no particle board for me. Particle board can only take one or two moves before it is destroyed, real wood can last forever if taken care of.
4. Education. If your child gets accepted into an Ivy League school, figure out how to make it work.

KJ

These are so great KJ, and attainable for most except for no. 3. A resort is a pretty high standard to aim for at a costly price, when for me at least, a home doesn't necessarily mean a resort.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4389 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Dec 29, 2023, Wizard of Oz wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 29, 2023, 1KJ wrote:

KJ

These are so great KJ, and attainable for most except for no. 3. A resort is a pretty high standard to aim for at a costly price, when for me at least, a home doesn't necessarily mean a resort.

It goes back to playing the cards you have been dealt. For example, my first home out of college was a basement flat in San Francisco. Fortunately, the basement had the tiny backyard. I dug a hole and created a koi pond and a mini resort-like experience I also discovered underground treasures from the "great San Francisco fire".

KJ
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Feb 23, 2015, stoneunhinged wrote:
What?

I'll give three of my own:

1. Real Parmesan freshly grated. (By "real" I mean this stuff: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parmigiano-Reggiano )
2. First quality salted capers. (I buy mine here: http://www.manufactum.com/int-de/gesalze......1510980/ )
3. Shoes. (Unless your name is Paul Pacific, you wear cheap shoes at your peril--not to mention the potential for fouling the noses of others.)

Please add to the list to the benefit of all.

In the "Discworld" series, we meet Commander Vimes, who has a very interesting viewpoint on socio-economics;

"The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money. Take boots, for example. ... A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while a poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet."
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax