The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Not very magical, still... :: An entirely predictable result (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I support gun rights for law abiding citizens. I have financially supported the NRA, though I stopped when I felt like they were going a bit beyond what I was comfortable with.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-10-04 11:35, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-10-04 11:09, balducci wrote:
Believe it or not, I'm far from anti-gun.

Do you think that people should be legally allowed to own and keep loaded handguns in their houses?

My understanding is that at least one of my best friends does. He did the paperwork and training so as to this. So, sure. Why wouldn't I?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
Quote:

Do you think that people should be legally allowed to own and keep loaded handguns in their houses?

What good are unloaded weapons when one is in the midst of a break-in or home invasion?

All of my weapons are loaded and accessible (unless children are visiting).

Brian
"Lulling the minds of your company is more important than dazzling their eyes." Ed Marlo
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-10-04 12:18, balducci wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

My understanding is that at least one of my best friends does. He did the paperwork and training so as to this. So, sure. Why wouldn't I?

I have to qualify my answer as to what my friend does. I'm not sure whether his guns are loaded or unloaded. Either way, it doesn't matter to me. I'm okay with what you asked.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-10-04 12:18, balducci wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't know why you would or wouldn't, but many people don't.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
In case anyone cares, I have no objection to citizens having guns. But I also have no objections to gun control/registration/mandatory training legislation.

I used to hunt, and owned a shotgun and rifle. I would NEVER have considered having them loaded in the house. I wouldn't even store the gun and ammunition in the same place. I believe that the likelihood of an accident is much higher than the likelihood of my suffering a home invasion.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
That's your decision to make for you and your family, Magnus. Others' mileage may vary . . . .
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2011-10-04 13:23, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
In case anyone cares, I have no objection to citizens having guns. But I also have no objections to gun control/registration/mandatory training legislation.

I used to hunt, and owned a shotgun and rifle. I would NEVER have considered having them loaded in the house. I wouldn't even store the gun and ammunition in the same place. I believe that the likelihood of an accident is much higher than the likelihood of my suffering a home invasion.

John

The odds of home invasion are definitely in your favor of not happening. It will probably never happen to you. Be thankful. However if it does feel free to call the police and defend yourself until they arrive. Punch them in the nose or just yell out "Stop and get our of my house" that might work. However if it does not work, you nor your family are not likely to tell us so.

As they say, "Good luck with that". You probably don't purchase lottery tickets either. Not much chance of hitting it.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16557 Posts

Profile of tommy
The best policy today is the GGG policy: Gold, Guns and a Getaway plan.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
Quote:
On 2011-10-04 14:15, acesover wrote:
Quote:

John

The odds of home invasion are definitely in your favor of not happening. It will probably never happen to you. Be thankful. However if it does feel free to call the police and defend yourself until they arrive. Punch them in the nose or just yell out "Stop and get our of my house" that might work. However if it does not work, you nor your family are not likely to tell us so.

As they say, "Good luck with that". You probably don't purchase lottery tickets either. Not much chance of hitting it.

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away."

Brian
"Lulling the minds of your company is more important than dazzling their eyes." Ed Marlo
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
Quote:
On 2011-10-04 14:42, tommy wrote:
The best policy today is the GGG policy: Gold, Guns and a Getaway plan.

Nah, the best policy is SSS: Shoot, Shovel and Shut-up.

Brian
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
Quote:

I have no objection to citizens having guns. But I also have no objections to gun control/registration/mandatory training legislation.

John

What form of control and registration?

Other than the obvious of keeping firearms out of the hands of felons and the mentally ill.

Brian
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-10-04 14:58, bblumen wrote:
Quote:

I have no objection to citizens having guns. But I also have no objections to gun control/registration/mandatory training legislation.

John

What form of control and registration?

Other than the obvious of keeping firearms out of the hands of felons and the mentally ill.

Brian

That's pretty much it. I don't see a problem with requiring that firearms be registered, much like automobiles.

BTW, Canada totally screwed up the process and took what should have been a fairly straightforward process and turned it into a massive institutional failure. The problem wasn't that guns were required to be registered, the problem is that the program developed to do it was absurdly mismanaged and highly over budget. I suspect that the current government will close the program with hardly a complaint from a public that does not believe it got value for its money.

John
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
Quote:
On 2011-10-04 15:09, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

That's pretty much it. I don't see a problem with requiring that firearms be registered, much like automobiles.

John

So, the government should have a registry of every law abiding citizen that owns firearms?

Your analogy to firearms and motor vehicles is ridiculous!

Motor vehicles are registered to allow local governments to collect fees (or, at least, that is the way it used to be).

Maybe we should register ammunition as well?

Brian
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Arent cars also registered so they could be found in case of an accident, crime, stolen parts ect? Not just for money for the evil gov. The real issue is far to many people own guns that shouldn't and many of these guns are able to do things other than hunt. Why would someone need a silenced M4? Or a .50cal sniper rifle? Playing army was over when we turned 12.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I don't own a gun. I never have, and maybe never will. But I strongly support the right of law-abiding citizens to own guns. It's a cliche, but it is also a truism: "If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns."
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
The real difference is that owning an automobile & driving an automobile are not God-given rights that the Constitution obliges the government to respect.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-10-04 15:59, Woland wrote:

The real difference is that owning an automobile & driving an automobile are not God-given rights that the Constitution obliges the government to respect.

God given rights. Where were guns mentioned in the Bible? Smile
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

May I also point out that I live in a country that does mention arms in its constitution, and that may have something to do with my opinion.

Also, I agree with kcg5 that by having all legal firearms registered, it gives the courts one more weapon with which to fight crime.
John
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
The origin of the rights that the Constitution protects is stated in the Declaration of Independence: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights . . ." The right to self-defense is God-given and inalienable. No man-made law can trump that, at least in so far as the laws of the United States are concerned.

Let me add, that the privately held Pennsylvania long rifle of 1790 ("Kentucky rifle" if you prefer)was nearly infinitely superior, in experienced hands, to the smoothbore musket with which military units were equipped, and at ranges of up to 200 yards, every bit as accurate and deadly as a modern rifle.