The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Not very magical, still... :: How's this for a Scam, and it's Risk Free too! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Quote:
On 2009-07-08 10:31, Cliffg37 wrote:
Does anyone know what would happen if we all started to send email to these people at once. I am not talking about interest in their scam, I am talking about dozens of e-mail loaded with nothing but gibberish. Would that mess them up or backfire on us?
Wouldn't make a dent. The volume of stuff they put out is massive. I've actually heard somewhere that many of the Nigerian scams are run by organized crime. It may not seem too profitable, given how few suckers fall for it, but given the average income in the region, all it takes is one big one to fund the operation for years.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Yes - it's mostly organized crime. The more money they get from a victim, the higher up the chain of command the mark is passed until eventually they have bled him or her dry.

Some people have actually travelled to Nigeria to get their money back, only to be kidnapped. The family then has to pay even more money to get them released.

Many newspaper articles claim that the this scam is the second largest industry in Nigeria although none provide a source for this factoid.