The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: So Happy together... :: Why do you go to the SAM/IBM/KIDabra Convention? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
A very good thread related to conventions the SAM section sparked this topic.

Why do members/you go to a convention/conference? (Be specific: Name the Convention/Conference)

Is cost a major factor? (Travel Costs + Hotel Costs + Registration + Food)

In order of importance, what is the reason you go to a convention/conference?
(Location, Costs, Lecture, dealers, performance, contest, Other)

About how much do you spend in the Dealer's Room?

What lectures/performers would tip the scale and make the event most inviting?

Add any other comment which makes that event worthy of your consideration.
Dennis Michael
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Why do members/you go to a convention/conference? (Be specific: Name the Convention/Conference)
I go to the KIDabra Conference because it is an event that focuses on what I do the most, entertain children. A professional event for the professional.
I go to Bob Little's Super Sunday because it is cheap ($35), has great dealers, is local, and get to meet many of my magical friends.
I go to Magician Alliance of Eastern States because it is local, great dealers, meet friends, then lectures.

Is cost a major factor? (Travel Costs + Hotel Costs + Registration + Food)
Cost is a major consideration. At KIDabra it isn't because it is what I do and what I get paid to do well. I get new ideas, new concepts, and meet people who do exactly what I do. There are very little costs for the other events since they are local. SAM and IBM overall costs are much to high for me, for the "return in investment". I don't do mentalism, card tricks, and there is very little in children entertainment. I do like the illusionist in the show.

(Location, Costs, Lecture, dealers, performance, contest, Other)
Other: The event focuses on what I do, Entertain Children
Costs: Overall what iit is going to cost me.
Dealers: especially the one's I like or know personally.
Lectures: that focus on what I do.
Performances:
Don't care for contests, close-up magic, or card tricks.

About how much do you spend in the Dealer's Room?
About $500, and it does depend on if I like the item, I will go much more.

What lectures/performers would tip the scale and make the event most inviting?
Steve Taylor, Barry Mitchell, Duane Laflin, Tim Sonefelt, Terry Evanswood, Ken Scott, Mark Wade

Add any other comment which makes that event worthy of your consideration.
Local has a huge pull vs travel costs. Dealers of quality like Denny & Lee do make a difference. Comedy entertainers like Kohl & Company make a difference.
Sometimes, I consider the Auction, will I get more money to off-set expenses.
Dennis Michael
SeasideShowman
View Profile
Elite user
Myrtle Beach, SC
443 Posts

Profile of SeasideShowman
I ask myself these questions when considering an event:

Are there lecturers and performers being featured which I've never seen before? So many events here in the states seem to book similar acts/presenters. I prefer to see diversity in the lineup of presenters and look forward to seeing and meeting someone "new".

Is it being held at a location I've never been to before (or better yet a location that I enjoy returning to again)?

Do I think that the convention fee and room rates are affordable and a good value?

Is there diversity in the Dealer's Room or do I suspect that most of the tables will be selling the same old same old?

What will my travel expenses be? Air? Rental car? Or overland fees ie. Fuel, meals, etc.

--------------------------

I feel that I've merely stated the obvious here. Of all things considered, to me, the most important is the first question. Who's on the schedule, have I seen them before, or do I want to see them again?

Yours in Magic,

Seaside Showman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I didn't care if they were laughing at me or laughing with me ... as long as they were laughing" - Unknown
www.MagicAtTheBeach.org
"I'm with it"
mattmccoy
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of mattmccoy
Acts determine everything for me. I go to conventions as a way to become inspired and get rejuvinated. I want to see good magic that carries me away to a world I cannot experience in my hometown. If that is a good enough reason money is not a question. And I never buy anything in a dealer's room besides good books.

-M.
Dal
View Profile
Regular user
Dallas, TX
124 Posts

Profile of Dal
Great Thread Dennis—

Too bad it’s buried here and not readily seen on the S.A.M., I.B.M., or even the KIDabra sites.

I go to several conventions/conferences EVERY year. In 2010 I plan to be at Kidvention in Jaunary (because I am a family entertainer), World Magic Seminar in February/March (because I enjoy seeing my friends in Las Vegas and this year Max Howard, Finn John & Soma are there), S.A.M. in July (because of my commitment to The Society of American Magicians), and T.A.O.M. in September (because it’s local, has a fantastic line up and because of my many friends who attend). I am also considering KIDabra this August and I will also attend the TAXI Road Rally in November (this is a songwriter conference). I might even attend one of the Haunted Attraction conventions this year.

What attracts me to most conventions? Content, Content and Content. Ray Kroc (the Founder of McDonald’s) used to say “When you’re green you’re growing and when you’re ripe you rot.” I like to see new ideas and cutting edge magic. This is what inspires me to create the kind of shows that I write. Don’t get me wrong, I love watching the classic acts in our art. You know what I’m talking about, the ones that you are so familiar with, that you know where every wow or laugh is before the performer comes on stage. What brings me to conventions though is seeing something new and fresh. I also enjoy the fellowship I get from hanging with other magicians.

Location isn’t really a big factor; if I can find my way to Pigeon Forge then I can find my way anywhere. I do like to have several restaurant choices near the hotel…I usually hate hotel food. I have discovered that Cost isn’t really an issue for me either…no I’m not rich, it’s just that I’ve paid big bucks for terrible conventions and some of the best conventions I’ve ever been to were free. Yes, I said free. For instance, most Songwriter conferences (including the TAXI Road Rally) come free with a membership to the organization. The same is true of many of the Haunted Attractions shows. You still have to pay for hotel & travel but that’s it. The annual dues might be higher but there are other benefits available (including an up to date list of job opportunities).

As far as the dealer’s room is concerned, be nice to me and not too pushy and I will spend money. If I can see that you are a truly good person I will spend more. It also helps if you have innovative, cutting edge ideas to sell but the main factor in getting me to spend money is how you treat me and your other customers. I don’t like giving money to jerks.

Well guys, that’s about it for me. Remember, this is just MY opinion, I could be wrong.

—Dal Sanders
Dal Sanders International Comedy Magician and Illusionist Based In Dallas, TX

The Society of American Magicians Past National President
M.I.M.C.*
Craig Dickson
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Valley, NY
353 Posts

Profile of Craig Dickson
Dal, yes is is a great question and belongs in the SAM section as well. So at least, on the Café, it is there now as well. It should also be a feedback section of every organization as well on their own websites. I think it can only help convention planners to know what is most important. That is if the convention planners ever listen, many don't. As far as SAM site, well maybe in time someone will wake up. I know you care.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Because it involves more than SAM IBM and KIDabra, I felt it should be somewhere and this seems like a good place.

Two convents I want to go to are the Haunted Attractions and Vent Haven.
Dennis Michael
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Why do members/you go to a convention/conference? I go to 5 conventions in the states, 4 of them are S.A.M

Is cost a major factor? Well, I spent money, yes! (Travel Costs ( $350 minimum of plane ticket + Hotel $250 + Registration $250 + Food $500-$600...So yes I spent money!

People & Friends, Dealers,Location, Shows, Lectures...

About how much do you spend in the Dealer's Room? $800 - $1,000

What lectures/performers would tip the scale and make the event most inviting? New ones...Put as a Headline a past year competition winner for me is a mistake! Why I want to see the act twice? or maybe triple? In the convention community theres a magician that I'm tired of see his beauty and nice but for now exhausting act!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Craig Dickson
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Valley, NY
353 Posts

Profile of Craig Dickson
Dennis
I actually disagree. It does not belong somewhere else, it belongs in all those sections, as well as here. Let me tell you why. The dynamic of SAM, and IBM conventions are quite different from KIDABRA. The average attendee of KIDABRA is in the entertainment business. The average attendee of IBM-SAM conventions go for the show, the vacation, and lectures, etc. Quite a different dynamic. Of course there is overlap, but not to be compared. Most who attend the big conventions here in the US are hobbyists, and nothing negative about that at all, it’s just fact. Not everyone surfs the entire Café like us. Having it also in KIDabra, SAM, and IBM areas makes it visible to those who do not surf the entire Café like us who have no life. Smile
tpax
View Profile
Elite user
Columbia, Maryland
443 Posts

Profile of tpax
I live in Maryland and go to
MAES - Local, always a good lineup of entertainment and lectures.
Magi Whirl - Local and support my IBM Ring. Also have good lectures
Mindvention - This was my first year, went to see the lectures!

Reasons for going
I go for the lectures and I like to see different lecturers.
Cost is important to me. Mindvention was nice because the rooms were nice and well priced!
Dealers are my last consideration for going, but are important. I average $150 in dealer purchases per convention.
Peter Pitchford
View Profile
Elite user
Philly
423 Posts

Profile of Peter Pitchford
Dennis,

Up to this point in my life, I have usually gone to conventions to compete.

Now? I suppose to network with other magicians and see the talent.

Unless one is fabulously wealthy, cost is definitely a factor (especially because most conventions are held on weekends). For the full-time magicians, nearly any convention is super inconvenient. We don't get paid vacations and have to miss the bulk of our work week (biting the bullet ourselves) to pay to go to a convention. So it's really a catch-22.

Peter
mattmccoy
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of mattmccoy
How can you say the national conventions such as IBM and SAM are for the hobbyists?? I think people go to that beacuse they are teh largest....you get more bang for your buck. I would rather go see ten top names on a bill and pay a little more in registration than go to a state convention and see five headliners, three sub-headliners, and two locals. Those bigger conventions have bigger budgets and put on a better product of a convention...if what you are looking for is premiere talent in magic with new lectures and great shows. If you are a kids entertainer...not so much.
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Quote:
On 2009-12-16 06:22, Craig Dickson wrote:
The average attendee of IBM-SAM conventions go for the show, the vacation, and lectures, etc. Quite a different dynamic. Of course there is overlap, but not to be compared.

I AGREE!
Follow Me...
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2870 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Abbott's Magic Get-Together is the convention for me- just because it is MEMORIES. I started going to them in the mid-sixties with my Dad, then on and off over my college years and into adulthood. I practically cry when Wilma Rench starts playing the organ, sometimes acts will flood to mind when she plays something that reminds me of seeing Monk Watson there, Senator Crandall, the Blackstones, Jay Marshall, Neil Foster, Dale Salwak, or whoever. I like it too that FAB Magic has a nice little stage area now to hang out in Colon. So in two words: FOND FAMILIARITY. For the national or regional conventions I attend, I hate to admit it, I look for a tourist or city location that I'd like to visit that my wife would enjoy seeing too ... a location that just so happens to have a magic convention going on at the same time. The World Magic Seminar I attended in 2008 was due to this logic- happy wife, happy life. I signed up for KIDabra! in 2009 due to this location factor, had to cancel at the last moment due to an unrelated time conflict... but the spouse wanted to see Pigeon Forge... You married magicians know what I mean- although my spouse likes magic- she does not have any interest attending lectures all day or staying cooped up in a hotel room. Fortunately, I live close enough to Colon where this is not a problem. So I really think in the above thread the location factor is actually pretty important-and maybe not to the magicians attending but to those traveling WITH them.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2870 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
By the way, for you younger married magicians, if your spouse doesn't want you going to a magic convention by yourself because you already are spending too much time away from home, it is a big plus to find a convention site she/he can enjoy too to go shopping, gamble, walk on the beach, sun, etc.. Then you can attend the convention activities guilt free!
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
IM NOT MARRIED....WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO
Sorry,
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Rick Fisher
View Profile
Elite user
Rick Fisher
471 Posts

Profile of Rick Fisher
Where else in the world could you go for more magic than the law allows? Colon, Michigan. Between FAB and Abbott's in 2010 there will be more events,lectures,dealers,open mic sessions,close up,stage shows,mini shows,busking competition, ladies events, competition and so much more! More than anywhere in the United States in 2010! Abbott's charges a nominal fee for registration..our FAB events are FREE! Free seminars by Kozmo,Devin Knight,Krag Ryal and others....there is nothing like Colon Michigan - NOW is the time to start planning for August 4-7th. Like, Roger, I have many memories here....that put me on the road to magic....
Rick Fisher, President FAB Magic

"One of the largest magic shops in the world!"

www.fabmagic.com