The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: So Happy together... :: SCAM 2010 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11 [Next]
WayneCapps
View Profile
Special user
Charleston, SC
769 Posts

Profile of WayneCapps
I agree John, two conventions on the same weekend just seems silly. I really want to attend both.
hagemagic
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of hagemagic
I agree. It's more than silly. It's ridiculous to even have two conventions in the same month in the same state. You're still competing for the same people (talent and registrants). A lot of people will still have to choose one or the other. I hope something can be worked out so that the state can have the optimum magic convention possible. Let's hope something positive comes of the meeting on thursday.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
I hope they realize that as well when they discuss things. I'd like to attend both, but can't be in two places at once.

Also agree it would be nice to have it in another month. That's why we hold our "May Magic Madness" one day convention in May! Gives plenty of time between things so everyone that would like to come has a chance to attend. How about Columbia in March? Just remember March Madness for us basketball fans.

Hmmm....what an idea!

Mark. Smile
hagemagic
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of hagemagic
Winter Carnival is in March. A lot of the same people go to that one.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Ahhh...February???

Mark.
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1268 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
I;m thinking the Myrtle Beach convention could easily move to February. That would have SCAM in late Jan. and then Magic at the Beach in early Feb. That would make for a great two month period that is usually slow for performers/talent what with the Christmas lag.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
WayneCapps
View Profile
Special user
Charleston, SC
769 Posts

Profile of WayneCapps
Well it looks like the folks at SCAM did it. They scheduled their convention for the same weekend as the scheduled MATB. Kind of a shame!
maurermagic
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of maurermagic
The other way to look at it is that MATB has scheduled their convention on the same weekend that SCAM has had for 15 years. It all depends on your perspective. Kind of a shame.
doormouse
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of doormouse
I think we all know that agreements were made last year. SCAM reneged on their part of their agreement. MATB was first to announce this year. Considering the quality of the conventions over the last few years, I think MATB has earned the right to carry the torch. Personally I am happy to see change come. SCAM was a dead horse.
rach18el
View Profile

0 Posts

Profile of rach18el
There was never any agreement on this date between SCAM and MATB. There was a request made from MATB to SCAM and it was rejected.
doormouse
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of doormouse
But it was originally agreed upon. Was it not?
rach18el
View Profile

0 Posts

Profile of rach18el
No it was not. We told them to send us a proposal and the committee would discuss it and it was rejected.
John Tudor
View Profile
Loyal user
Columbia, SC
209 Posts

Profile of John Tudor
SCAM and Magic At The Beach. Both sides have justified their positions, the bottom line is that we are left with this very screwed up scene. We have now heard what the committees of both conventions want: to have the same calendar date.

I have to ask, what do the magicians want?

Does ANYONE out there (besides the convention organizers) who would pay to attend either SCAM or Magic At The Beach want them to be on the same weekend?
"Ars longa, vita brevis." (Life is short, the art so long to learn) -Hippocrates
SeasideShowman
View Profile
Elite user
Myrtle Beach, SC
443 Posts

Profile of SeasideShowman

For Immediate Release

We at Magic At The Beach wish to thank all of the guests at our most recent event here in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, January 14 - 16, 2010. It was because of you that our event was such a tremendous success.

Our dates for 2010 were announced believing that there would be no conflict with any other events. In the end however our event was run concurrent with another event here in South Carolina. We are aware and concerned about the controversy of holding two events here in the state of South Carolina on the same weekend and the negative impact it had on the magic community. This was never our intention. Although the holiday weekend would have been ideal for us at the beach we realize that our brothers in Columbia have strong ties for that date in 2011.

Magic has been first and foremost in our lives and it is our wish that we all move forward together towards unification and with the over all goal of having fun and a good time. Therefore Magic At The Beach is announcing a date change for our event. Our sole reason for changing our date is in order to help maintain that unity here in the state of South Carolina. So with that in mind we have decided to schedule our event for January 20 - 22, 2011 to allow all magi the opportunity to attend both events if they wish.

We were pleasantly surprised with the incredible success of our event last year and it is our hope that Magic At The Beach can continue to move forward as we strive to bring professional acts, incredible lectures, top notch shows and the best of fellowship for our brothers and sisters in magic.

Thanks again for all the support you have shown us and hope to see you next year at Magic At The Beach 2011.

Sincerely,

David Tanner & Roman LePree
Magic At The Beach 2011

"I didn't care if they were laughing at me or laughing with me ... as long as they were laughing" - Unknown
www.MagicAtTheBeach.org
"I'm with it"
John Tudor
View Profile
Loyal user
Columbia, SC
209 Posts

Profile of John Tudor
Bravo and kudos to Magic at the Beach!
"Ars longa, vita brevis." (Life is short, the art so long to learn) -Hippocrates
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
998 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
This is excellent news. Thanks for stepping up to the plate, Dave and Roman.
THE FIVE OBLIGATIONS OF CONJURING: Study. Practice. Script. Rehearse. Perform. Drop one and you're done.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Congratulations MATB, for taking the high road. Your attempt to bring unity across the state is admirable. That is first class. See you in 2011!!!!

Mark. Smile
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1268 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
High road, low road, does it really matter? This means there will STILL be two magic conventions in South Carolina in January. I can't believe people will be able to afford both, but I hope it works out well for everyone involved. Truly I do.

For myself, I'll have to see what talent interests me, but I will only be able to attend one if I can attend at all.
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1268 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
As for doormouse's statement that SCAM was a dead horse, I disagree. SCAM has had some good talent in the last few years that have not been to the SC area before and scored one of the best lectures I have heard in many years in Harry Anderson this time around. I look forward to see what they offer next year.
doormouse
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of doormouse
Everyone has a different opinion Sam. Some say it was good and some say it was lousy, depends who you ask. I base my observation mainly from declining attendance numbers. When you have only 48 in attendance (last year) I would call that a dead horse. Harry's been around the South pretty heavy, glad you enjoyed it.