The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Mentally Speaking :: Review: Bill Abbott The Name / First Crush CT (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2849 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Several people recommended Bill Abbott's CT, as one of the most practical and deceptive.

Over the years I've studied and used a number of well-known CTs, but never really found them to be a good fit for me. For several reasons, I've come to prefer full billet peeks and stares using double blank cards or business cards.

Nonetheless, the recommendations to check out Bill Abbott's CT intrigued me enough to purchase his Penguin Live lecture when it was recently on special with Penguin's Cool Box.

I'm really glad I bought the lecture, which is excellent. The CT handling Bill teaches is outstanding.

The lecture contains a one hour master class on the CT, including three live performances (one walk-around, and two stage shows) followed by an in-depth explanation and discussion. Two routines are explained, one called The Name the other First Crush. Both use the same core method and handling.

Bill Abbott's handling of the CT is very well thought out and addresses all of the issues I had with other CTs. It's easy to do, and very deceptive.

Because it was on sale at the time, I paid half price for the 3.5 hour lecture. But after learning the Bill Abbott CT handling, I would definitely pay $40 for the lecture just to learn this.

Highly recommended.

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/18015

ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2504 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Bill uses a bog-standard, classic centre tear (which he originally learned from Al Koran's "Professional Presentations" book). He always does a delayed read, which (like anything else) has advantages and disadvantages. My own preference is for a tear that can be be done both "real-time" (i.e., reading while tearing) and delayed, as performing circumstances warrant. I also like to get a larger peek than the classic approach permits.

All that said, Bill's exposition in his lecture is full of excellent advice, clearly drawn from experience.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)