The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Mentally Speaking :: Bobby Motta (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I just watched the Bobby Motta Live lecture from Penguin.

Here is the description:
Quote:
The material Bobby teaches is powerful, practical and has even fooled many magicians. In this lecture Bobby will teach his closer which he's kept to himself and guarded for many years. This is the closer that has built Bobby's reputation and has made him one of the busiest in the industry. Bobby will discuss Blackmail and Informant. Both have many uses and Bobby will go into detail with different handling and routine ideas. Bobby will teach BP which is a clever take on a peak that that uses a business card which has been fine-tuned with the input of Andy Nyman’s ingenious mind. One of Bobby’s go-to effects is STD. This is the one that is worth the entire price of the lecture. Enough said.

I found him to be a very friendly and likeable person, his material all well thought out, and all of it very workable.

The BP is a method I've used quite a bit, but I found his touches and his thinking behind them add a lot. This will be the go-to piece for anyone who spends a little time and works with it. A pen and some cards are all that are needed. For me, the best part was not the method, but the routining and thinking around it.

STD is a fantastic routine. As performed, he borrows a deck, has an audience member cut the deck, look at a card or just remove it and put it in his pocket. Then he replaces the deck in the box and closes the box, all while the performer's back is turned. The performer turns around, recaps what has happened and tells the person to remove the "name of the card" from his pocket. Now, I've done a similar routine and when I watched it thought, "OK, I've done this for decades." I was wrong. Yes, he did use the method I used, but that was only a part of it. My method is about 80%, his is 100%. And he turned this into a major show piece. He explains the thinking behind it, and the handlings, it is clear he has spent a great deal and time with this, and it shows

Bobby spent a good deal of time discussing the Informant and handlings, highly recommended for anyone using a similar tool. (I still feel the Informant is the best in its device of it's type.)

He tips his Black Mail, another of his commercial items, as well as a soon to be released item.

Bobby's closer is an act unto itself and I won't do it the injustice of trying to describe it, plus it could be criminal Smile .

This was the most fun and enjoyable lectures I have seen on Penguin in a while.

Tony Iacoviello
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1664 Posts

Profile of elimagic
I enjoyed the lecture. Nothing really revolutionary but fantastic working material that you can tell he does in his shows on a regular basis. I enjoyed his thinking behind things. Worth the price for sure and a re-watch.

-Eli
nbl
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of nbl
Brilliant material discussed. And the final routine is worth 10 times the price!
Schaff
View Profile
New user
Fargo, ND
75 Posts

Profile of Schaff
I agree completely, he is very likable, and his thinking is outstanding! Sometimes the simple things get me the most... The d'l*te effect.... why didn't I think of that lol.
magicsachin
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
132 Posts

Profile of magicsachin
The closer is a real KILLER routined very well !!
Thank You Smile
domclarke
View Profile
Regular user
Windsor, UK
147 Posts

Profile of domclarke
This is an old thread but the content of the Penguin Live lecture looks to be the same as his At the Table. Could anyone advise if there is a major difference to warrant buying the Penguin live lecture? Many thanks.