The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Mentally Speaking :: Quinta By Phill Smith (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
backinblack
View Profile
Special user
910 Posts

Profile of backinblack
Hey guys,
any reviews on this? http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/5709

thx
Withnail
View Profile
Special user
974 Posts

Profile of Withnail
A good buy.
Yet again that oaf has destroyed my day
Celloboy
View Profile
Special user
London, England
534 Posts

Profile of Celloboy
It is a brilliant and multipurpose tool that you can do at a moments notice.
Highly recommended.
Orlan
View Profile
Loyal user
WA
223 Posts

Profile of Orlan
You may want to tune in for tomorrow's Penguin Live lecture: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/5441.
Phill will be talking about Quinta and a bunch of other material (see thread at http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......c=588969 ). You can then decide if it's worth exploring in more detail.
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3262 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Quinta is absolutely brilliant and, once you know the principle, you can tailor effects to suit you and your audience. Phill's book was one of my best buys of last year.
Jeff Wassom
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Jeff Wassom
Just watch Phil's lecture, and wow, Quinta is one of those gems where the method is as magical as any effect you could dream up with it.
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1799 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
I covered Quinta last of all and detailed a large scale application in the form of a chair test, and also in the form of The Universal, a propless method to force literally anything. I'm glad you guys enjoyed it.

Phill
The new Elysian Duets, marked cards featuring my unique Optical Marking System:
-+: https://phillsmithcreative.com/products/elysian-duets :+-
actorcoop
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of actorcoop
Without tipping anything, is Quinta the type of tool where you HAVE to use physical objects? Or can it be used as more of a purely mental/verbal force?
*I knew you were going to read this
WooverM
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of WooverM
Quote:
On Jun 26, 2015, actorcoop wrote:
Without tipping anything, is Quinta the type of tool where you HAVE to use physical objects? Or can it be used as more of a purely mental/verbal force?

It works much better using physical items in my opinion. However Phil covered in the lecture how he uses this principle with 5 named locations or animals, either way, it will probably work best when it's not over the phone, and the spectator is able to see you(it will work on Skype's video chat). Writing that, there might be more information in the ebook/book that I'm not aware of, and you should wait for a response from Phil about additional applications.

When I saw it in the lecture I understood how it worked during the performance, however even the one or two laypeople who might vaguely guess how it is done, when combined with other baffling effects, will not cause you any problems. Because of it's amazing deceptiveness and versatility, it is much better than most if not all Eq****k* methods and even streamlines the proccess.
Woover
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, OH
1888 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
Hey guys,

I bought all of Phill's works last week at the lecture and...they really sucked me in and I read everything, all of the over 800 pages of content, in a week. I've taken some really sound concepts, I LOVE Quinta and the framings that Phill places on the various effects...come to think of it, I loved everything so much that I recorded the review for the Phill Smith Trio and Quinta on Ten Minute Mysteries! Hope you all enjoy and find Phill's work as amazing as I did.

http://bit.ly/1LCl8FX

XX,
-Jakob
actorcoop
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of actorcoop
I am super fascinated by the Quinta principle, so whatever material I purchase it would be something that included Quinta. However, the technique seems to be covered in a few different offerings by Phill- so I suppose I am unsure where to start…

Quinta, Yokai, or perhaps even just the Penguin Lecture?
WooverM
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of WooverM
Quote:
On Jun 27, 2015, actorcoop wrote:
I am super fascinated by the Quinta principle, so whatever material I purchase it would be something that included Quinta. However, the technique seems to be covered in a few different offerings by Phill- so I suppose I am unsure where to start…

Quinta, Yokai, or perhaps even just the Penguin Lecture?

I think you should get the lecture as a gateway drug, see what kind of material draws you in the most and start from there. He has a list of effects in every book's description so you will be able to know what effect is from which book, I'm sure that once I finish my current books/dvds I'll delve into more applications of his work, and whatever you choose to do, get his DMC deck, it's really amazing.
You might also want to check the other threads on the forum reviewing his material, and Jakob's(or is it spelled with a 'c'?) review.
Woover
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, OH
1888 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
Hi Actorcoop,

I'll say this about the Quinta book, it contains some things that appear in the trilogy, but it also contains a lot more including extra bits of psych as well as premises to make it fit better. Honestly, Quinta on it's own without justification isn't super effective, but the work Phill has created with it makes it truly stunning and a real gem. I want to see Phill succeed and at the same time I want to be a greedy (person born out of wedlock, insert here) and keep it all for myself...I hope everyone who saw the Penguin Lecture saw the value that I saw in Equifingue as well. I'm a huge Equivoque junkie and Phill's usage is one of my favorites as of late...it can also be found (I believe) in Yokai.

XX,
-Jakob
actorcoop
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of actorcoop
Hm.. good thoughts Jakob, thank you!

WooverM, I love the Penguin Lectures for just that purpose. They have opened up fantastic doors for me for getting to know more thinkers in our craft! Looch's first lecture if the perfect example of that. The only reason I'm more inclined towards a book format, is that a book sometimes goes deeper with a concept- I'm mostly leaning towards the entire Quinta book UNLESS it's more practical to learn that methodology along with other different effects by Phill.
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1799 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
Hi guys - the Quinta book does go WAY deeper into the idea than the lecture does, but of course the lecture gives a good fast insight into the method and the chance to see it in action. In retrospect I could have / probably should have planned to spend longer in the lecture talking Quinta because afterwards that's what everyone came and wanted to talk about.

Phill
The new Elysian Duets, marked cards featuring my unique Optical Marking System:
-+: https://phillsmithcreative.com/products/elysian-duets :+-
actorcoop
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of actorcoop
Thanks Phill! I'll definitely keep that in mind when I'm ready… Honestly I've heard fantastic things about all of your work, so I may just hold out a bit until I can afford both Quinta AND the Penguin Lecture!
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, OH
1888 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
Get it all, it's part of a mentalist's healthy balanced breakfast.

XX,
-Jakob
actorcoop
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of actorcoop
Quote:
On Jul 2, 2015, magician 336 wrote:
Get it all, it's part of a mentalist's healthy balanced breakfast.

XX,
-Jakob

Magician 336, yesterday I watched your review for this material and I decided I'm going to order Quinta tonight! I find your reviews/interviews very helpful and entertaining…

Phill, thank you for your input! I've seen so many wonderful comments about your work, I'm very excited to read Quinta.

Cheers,
Coop
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, OH
1888 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
Hey Coop,

Thanks man, I'm glad I could open you up to Phill's works, I really really have enjoyed reading his work!

XX,
-Jakob
ko_brian
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of ko_brian
Just finished reading Quinta, and I love it! Simple, direct.... I truly understand why Phill Smith is crazy about it. Very nice work and method.