The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Mentally Speaking :: Occult Magic books by Freddie Valentine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Danyel
View Profile
Loyal user
Italy
293 Posts

Profile of Danyel
Freddie is a UK based Occult Entertainer known for his valuable books about Tarot, Pendulums and the Ouija Board, who together with his buddy Dale Shrimpton and the delicious Holly Blue offers seriously dark experiences to the daring. I post here my review of these books in order to make his approach more widely known also among mystery and psychic entertainers, and not only in the bizarrists' community.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

***Occult Magic: An Introduction***
***Occult Magic: Into the Darkness***
***Occult Magic: The Outer Circle***

*****The rationale: style and approach*****
These three books are a very peculiar and welcome add-on to the literature on mystery / psychic entertainment, written by an original and very expert professional.
Many of us are magicians in the broader sense of the word. Many prefer to define themselves ‘mentalists’, in order either to separate from the conjurors’ approach and to get tied to a noble and darker tradition. Others have assume onto themselves the names of mystery or psychic entertainers, and among these some are still looking for an even more precise brand which describes their personas, style and stuff.
Freddie offers ***occult*** entertainment, centred around -but not limited to- dark séances. He is a purveyor of dark secrets, a storyteller who relates to the local lore, a channeler of unseen forces, possibly of an obscure nature. These three books are aimed at the professional and the semi-pro or expert amateur, being a serious and demanding methodological approach to a style of performing.

*****Structure and content*****

***Occult Magic: An Introduction***
The first book opens with an in-depth discussion of the nature of the persona one wants to portray / could believably portray. This first part is completed by an accurate analysis of the importance and nature of props. Believable props, that is.
And the concept of believability (and that of plausibility) is the second core part of the book. Here talks the really committed professional who has a great field experience, but who has also reflected upon that experience. Freddie’s analyzes the concept of plausibility in relation to the present state of things –the society of instant information- and as a sociologist I can say I would not add much to his considerations.

The second part of the book is devoted to the tools of the trade (tarot, pendulums..) and, most of all, to the importance, prior to the performance parts, of priming people (and the role of your knowledge of local history and legends in this regard).
The role of relics and the use of pendulums, and the nature of the séance, conclude the book.
Some very interesting essay by Paul Prater and Stephen Ward are to be found in the appendix.

***Occult Magic: Into the Darkness***
The second volume of the series starts at a higher level, and examines issues very seldom considered explicitly in the literature. Bear in mind that Freddie offers what is a total experience to his clients, and that here we are talking about the ***real deal***.
The first part of the book is devoted to the techniques of suggestion and mental conducting of people –again: not in general, but in the frame of a little group gathered together for a peculiar experience which will culminate in a séance. This is not a critic, but a merit: everything which is said in these pages is very context-specific, and hence seriously workable.
The second, very interesting part, deals with the role of hypnosis in performance. Hypnotic routines which fit perfectly into this style are discussed.
The third part of the book is a very practical one, and one whose importance is extreme: avoiding any suspicion or even the possibility of trickery, and pre-empting questions on the part of then participants. Here, pages and pages of down-to-earth and very sound advices and lines are offered about four topics: ghosts, the Tarot, Ouija boards, and naturally about yourself –the persona you portray to be.
This time, the Appendix sees Nik Taylor and Stephen ward as contributors.

***Occult Magic: The Outer Circle***
The third release in the series is a book more clearly aimed at pros and semi-pros.
The first part, in particular, is devoted at an interesting analysis of the several ways –strategies and styles alike- for the promotion of the dark events. Several forms of presentation are taken into account.
The problem of dealing with different categories of believers –a great part of these audiences, and quite often very knowledgeable people about their matters of interest- is also discussed as one of the main points for building one’s own credibility.
The entire second part is devoted to the explanation of how to structure an occult entertainment performance, from the reception of people, to the first signs of abnormal events, the use of pendulums and the Ouija boards, and the climax –the dark séance.
As usual, essays by Stephen Ward, Reverend Tristan and Kotah in the Appendix.

*****Pros and cons of the books*****
As already said, these three books are a great contribution to the field, made by a serious professional for serious people. They make for an incredibly interesting reading for any psychic entertainer or even the bizarrist magician who wants to reproduce the real thing. Even if you could define this kind of entertainment a niche market, don’t forget that the appeal of séances and like events is always very, very strong also among self-defined sceptics –and that in people’s minds the distance between a Tarot reading, palmistry skills and a séance is not so great: we are, generally, seen as mystery people –in the dark sense of the word.
In detail, my advice runs along these lines.
OM-An Introduction is a book which should be read by any mystery/psychic entertainer, for it gives very good ideas and advices of a broad range of topics which are of general interest. For beginners in the specific field.
OM-Into the Darkness should as well be read by those who, even if are not into occult entertainment properly, are interested in creating a really believable persona and consistent presentation of self. Needless to say, it appeals a lot to those who wish to mix dark events and deep suggestion/hypnosis.
The third book, OM-The outer Circle, is more aimed that the previous two at the pro or semi-pro. But its second part, how to organize a (believable and consistent) performance, could be of great value for anybody who wants to organize a psychic event –even if one doesn’t want to get involved into séances.
'People who lean on logic and philosophy and rational exposition
end by starving the best part of the mind' -William Butler Yeats
espkeith
View Profile
Veteran user
CT, USA
354 Posts

Profile of espkeith
Thanks very much for posting this. I've had my eye on these for a while, being a fan of the Menagerie. Been keen on buying, but had not seen much in the way of a review.
chami79
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of chami79
Thanks very much for posting this
daleshrimpton
View Profile
Regular user
the u.k
135 Posts

Profile of daleshrimpton
Ta Danni. great reviews
Anthony Black
View Profile
Special user
Tamworth - Albion
855 Posts

Profile of Anthony Black
Freddie's book's are essential reading for any performer that wishes to explore the world of Paranormal entertainment.

I cannot recommend them highly enough, no filler, no fluff just real world advice and ideas from somebody who has the knowledge of working in this field.

- Anthony
Lord Freddie
View Profile
Inner circle
1093 Posts

Profile of Lord Freddie
I appreciate the kind words. I will be releasing Occult Magic Volume 4 very soon and this will not be on general sale but only available from me directly at valentineentertainments@googlemail.com
I want to keep this material aimed at occult performers and available only to them as it includes information specific to people who perform in the field. In this volume I will be revealing some things that are exclusive to us and some methods and ideas that will be of solid use to anyone interested in this area. If anyone is interested in purchasing a copy of this volume then please drop me an email at the address above.

Freddie
Danyel
View Profile
Loyal user
Italy
293 Posts

Profile of Danyel
Great news for all of us, Freddie.
By the end of October I will be at last able to post a review of your three books about the Tarot, the Pendulum and the Ouija board.
Speak soon
Dan
'People who lean on logic and philosophy and rational exposition
end by starving the best part of the mind' -William Butler Yeats
Lord Freddie
View Profile
Inner circle
1093 Posts

Profile of Lord Freddie
Bless ya Dani! Glad you enjoyed them. The 4th volume will be available directly from me and features things directly from our show.
Lord Freddie
View Profile
Inner circle
1093 Posts

Profile of Lord Freddie
I'm pleased to announce that today, Occult Magic 4 is now available!
This contains material and information gained from real world experience, this is not a book of tricks or 'routines' but of concepts and presentational ideas involved in putting together a programme of Occult Entertainment.
The pdf is £15 and is only available direct from me at ValentineEntertainments@googlemail.com

To celebrate the release of this book I am offering a deal of all four volumes for £40 (a saving of £20). Email or PM me if you are interested...