The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Mentally Speaking :: Choking simon scott (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Ok, I've known simon for 4-5 years now...so I'm not going to fully review this: http://www.lulu.com/shop/simon-scott/cho......460.html

as I don't want to be accused of hyping something or the usual finger-pointing that sometimes takes place in here...

all I am giving you is the truth!

old principle
suited for darker performances (in its original format)
if you want to do it exactly how simon says (ho ho ho), you will need to buy envelopes, print a couple of bits out, and make/buy a small item (£3 easy - that's $5 or so I guess)
I can't link to his little shop properly at the moment - dunno why...but he offers a colour booklet, a b&w booklet or an e-copy (or and eek-copy depending on whether you are scared or not).

if you want a routine that can be played as dark and sinister mentalism, or as a bizarre piece - then this is very easy technique/method wise...and easy to adapt and change to suit other presentations...

simon performed this for me in a pub a few months ago and I enjoyed it...i know he has started to post in this place (having been a member for 3 years)...and, I am not affliated nor asking for a percentage of any sales he may make...(though 20% doesn't seem unreasonable to me personally)...

so its not going to be for everyone as it "is"...but easily changeable...you will not be wanting to do this walkaround/strolling ..don't be so silly...

and its using the premise of serial killers...a real one.

no magnets
no wires
no ectoplasm
no copper buddhas
no pop
no style
me strictly roots

its kind of a psychometric divination thing...envelopes, photos, an object...and a story to be told.
I've asked to be banned
ParaLabs - Thomas
View Profile
Special user
913 Posts

Profile of ParaLabs - Thomas
Simon demonstrated his routine to us in London in April - while we were sitting in fabulous wing chairs in front of an pretty old and big fireplace ... around midnight, ...
Hmm, - while I'm writing this I'm not that sure anymore that this location and time was randomly chosen by Simon to demonstrate this piece!?

Anyway - I loved the effect and I loved the premise. I loved the nonchalance in which Simon told the story and performed the routine - and I especially loved the 'final kicker'! A great emotional twist right in the end that doesn't change the effect, but that twists the perception of it. It's a moment when condolence and compassion unexpectedly lose their foundation ... and become spooky uneasiness.

I hassled Simon long enough until I was allowed to read his manuscript and it explains clearly what is going to happen. Unfortunately you will not get the feelings and the mood of the routine by reading it compared to seeing it performed.
So I think this is a routine that you have to perform (or to SEE it performed at least) to get the right impression of its impact.

Its technically easy to do - as Iain said, an old principle that most mentalists will know. But the story and the premise take this principle to another level so that Rainer didn't even recognized the technique, even if he was obviously aware of it. Smile

Basically it's all about the story and the premise from my point of view. If telling stories isn't your cup of tea, then the routine as it is isn't for you either.
But if you are in storytelling effects anyway or if you like routines that are build on moving or thrilling stories to be told, then you may find an impressive worker in this routine. And a worker it is, for its technical simplicity gives you the chance to concentrate totally on the presentation and the mood of the moment.

I appreciate this routine definitively.

Cheers
Th.
Voodini
View Profile
Inner circle
1783 Posts

Profile of Voodini
I love this routine. A great back-story with a well thought out and grown-up presentation. It isn't one, perhaps, for those working the wedding reception market. But for those looking for something to make the hairs on the back of the neck stand up, look no further! Highly recommended.
Voodini - cold reading, past life regressions, remote viewing, Q&A, palm reading, bizarre & seance...
www.readerofminds.co.uk
Mr_Grue
View Profile
New user
London, UK
74 Posts

Profile of Mr_Grue
Thanks for the kind words, guys.
"Yes, I have tricks in my pocket, I have things up my sleeve.
But I am the opposite of a stage magician.
He gives you illusion that has the appearance of truth.
I give you truth in the pleasant disguise of illusion."

Tennessee Williams

http://tiny.cc/Grue
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1976 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
This is indeed a great routine and can be dressed up beautifully....I did this with a nice collection of Victorian portraits....straightforward but devillishly clever...well done Mr Grue!
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
I was lucky enough to see Simon present this on Saturday evening.
The manuscript can never convey how gripping this effect is.

As simple to accomplish as any effect I've seen.
Everything is in the presentation, and the one I witnessed was sublime.

I love it.

Steve
Dr. Van Van Mojo
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of Dr. Van Van Mojo
I love Choked, it's one of my favorite routines. I posted about it in spooky but it didn't get much attention, their loss. It's an outstanding effect that leaves your spectators (especially the participant) with a creepy, uneasy feeling. I'd love to see more from Simon.
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
How the Heck,did I miss this in,Spooky ?
Not,my loss now! Smile
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Just downloaded it from Lulu, its my kind of thing along with Till Death. Time now to source everything and start to age yet another box. Unbelieveably reasonable price too.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Dr Weevil
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of Dr Weevil
Quote:
On 2013-11-10 17:06, Stephen Young wrote:
I was lucky enough to see Simon present this on Saturday evening.
The manuscript can never convey how gripping this effect is.

As simple to accomplish as any effect I've seen.
Everything is in the presentation, and the one I witnessed was sublime.

I love it.

Steve

Was also lucky enough to see Simon demonstrate this last Saturday. A delightfully unnerving effect with a beautiful presentation!
peculiarone
View Profile
Veteran user
Fence almost done. I've already put in
325 Posts

Profile of peculiarone
Is this suitable for stage?
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
I don't see any reason you couldn't do it on stage, and at that price it is a giveaway, I love the idea behind the story.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Mr_Grue
View Profile
New user
London, UK
74 Posts

Profile of Mr_Grue
Peculiarone, it was designed for close-up and parlour, but I'm sure with a bit of thought it could be adapted for the stage.
"Yes, I have tricks in my pocket, I have things up my sleeve.
But I am the opposite of a stage magician.
He gives you illusion that has the appearance of truth.
I give you truth in the pleasant disguise of illusion."

Tennessee Williams

http://tiny.cc/Grue
peculiarone
View Profile
Veteran user
Fence almost done. I've already put in
325 Posts

Profile of peculiarone
Thanks