The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Mentally Speaking :: Great new mentalism effect! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2262 Posts

Profile of dmoses
Hey Spidey

Welcome to the Café.
Don't take the reception too personally.

We're just overrun at the moment by people who think they can come to the forum and sell other people's work packaged as their own as $10 ebooks and downloads without making any real contribution to the community.

I think you'll find, when you share your thoughts and ideas without an eye to make a quick buck or reputation things will warm up considerably... not with everybody-- we've got a lot of ****** here too. But they're our ****** and part of the family.

I'd also recommend reading Iain's "sticky" post at the top of this forum's thread list.

See you around... I hope.

Sincere best wishes

dave
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
T-shirts for Magicians and Mentalists
BSpideyA
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of BSpideyA
Hey Dave

thank you for the message.

Maybe I should just come from a warmer place next time. Im not trying to make money off members here. I was just trying to maybe introduce my work to some people who havent seen it. In fact anyone who wrote to me privately about this effect here at the magic Café got a free download from me of the explanation.

This effect hit number 1 on the most popular list on theory11 this morning and has remained there since. Maybe some people who saw this thread contributed to that, maybe they didn't. But my intention was not to find clients here.

thanks for the guidance Dave,

Spidey
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Being popular is the ultimate goal?

And some people want to watch the world burn
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Pierre Emmanuel
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Pierre Emmanuel
I hope you sell many of them, and yes, you had the courage to release something in which you believe !

But as a performer, I see many week points in your trick (and I think it is better to talk about that than to argue on .. well ripping or whatever)

- The first thing spectators see is a list of name. A girl will immediately understand she has to make a choice, and make a mental image of the cute actor she loves.. but the comes your : "Choose a number randomly"

* She must be disappointed ! You do not ask her what seems to be the obvious path for the trick..
* You create an emotional hook, and then you break it, asking a figure, which is the less appealing stuff on earth.. so in terms of construction, as the trick goes on, you degrade the feelings of the spectator.
* You lay the cards on the table, one is facing you, one is facing the spectator.. so, either she can read it, or you or the rest of the group.. but it's not a clean display. We have an issue there.
* Where are you (as a mentalist ?) in the trick ? It's not telepathy between you and spectator, it's not influencing her or bend reality.. nope, the message is 'here are some cards. Choose a number. Ok, I have an enveloppe with the same name in it.". where are you spidey ? What is your role there ? Well, you are a card dealer.

My criticism may sound hard, but these elements are key to make mentalism effects.
Is it magic, or is it mentalism ? Simple question to ask: look at the trick, and wonder if as a result the spectator will say "you are...", or "you have that ability ?". If it is "that's crazy, how did you do.. it is impressive" or anything not related to you directly, then .. it's magic.

This does not mean your trick could not be written as a mentalism trick, but .. mm.. the use of celebrity names and a figure does not help.

from the description of the trick: "No suggestion or subtleties", well, too bad !