The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Mentally Speaking :: Pendulum Magic: A Guide to Mystery Performers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
You need to check out David's site daily ...He adds pendulums and the next time you go to the site "Poof" they are gone!
I really love the ideal of the limited editions ! Smile
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4008 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Have you ever seen the cartoon where the Coyote is chasing the Road Runner? He's hot on the trail. Focused. Suddenly he sees he's in the middle of making a HUGE mistake -- so he digs in his heels and the soundtrack makes this "Slam On The Brakes" sound. That's the way I'm feeling today. I was headed in a course and it was time to slam on the brakes.

Getting the site ready for the opening on September first -- along with a heavy performance schedule -- gave me tunnel vision. Sheree and I are having a wonderful time cooking up new ideas. They are coming fast and furious.

One of those ideas was to use dinosaur fragments and fossils in pendulums. I love the whole notion of "harnessing the power of the earth."

BUT along with that headlong rush forward, I offended a friend of mine. He's not a person I've ever actually met -- although we've exchanged emails and I've purchased and endorsed many of his art pieces. I am talking, of course, about Rich from Mental Craft -- the man behind the whole resurgence of interest in pendulums.

He made MY first pendulum and three more that followed. In the pendulum book, when I paint the scene of me looking with newbie wonder at a pendulum -- it is Rich's work.

Rich works in antiquities. He works with old coins and arrowheads. I had completely forgotten (believe that or not) that he also works with fossils. That's where the coyote slams on the brakes and stops cold.

That's what I've done. I've come to a stop. Resolutely.

We're not going to be building any pendulums using any of the fossils or shark's teeth or dinosaur bones at Magic Pendulums. That's a promise.

I offer Rich my sincere and unqualified apology. It was a complete and total "Whoops" on my part.

I just want to put pendulums and great pendulum routines into the hands of performers. I want audiences to feel complete wonder...I want performers to have access to lovely props. Ideally, I am just trying to create a community where people can come and share ideas about using pendulums in their performances. That's it.

No one is going to get rich doing this. As Rich told me, when he raised the issue privately with me in an email (as a gentleman should), this is primarily a labor of love.

Hopefully this clears things up.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Thank-you David. I am glad things have worked out. However, let me make it clear...I was NOT offended. I just thought we should abide by the gentlemans agreement we came to when you told me your plans, and asked me to contribue to your ebook.
That said, I do believe your plan to use fossils, was an oversight, and not intentional. Sheree does some very nice work....that I am sure many here will be attracted to.

P.S. I loved your Road Runner/Coyote analogy. Smile

All the best.
Rich
gmeister
View Profile
Inner circle
1588 Posts

Profile of gmeister
Amidst some unfortunate examples otherwise, it's nice to see that matters in this forum can be--and on occasion are--handled with the civility that should always be a part of our shared art.
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2675 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Differences aside I'm going to check how my pendulum performs, just to see who's right, so at least I know, in my own mind.

;)
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
4008 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Quote:
On 2011-08-28 16:16, Mauricio Jaramillo wrote:
I'm also very happy to have participated in this project. Finally got to check out the book and its wonderful contributions. You'll find all sorts of routines there, from impromptu material to bizarre magick experiences.

The routine I contributed is very easy and focuses on letting the spectators experience the power of their intuition successfully with a pendulum. I also explain several variations to take the effect in different directions depending on your performing style. More importantly, at the end I talk about a common problem many people experience when working with pendulums. What if it doesn't move? I take care of that in my write up and I'm sure many people will find great value in reading that part alone.

Mauricio -- the pleasure was mine. I think the remarkable thing about this whole book is the care each contributor took with the routine they provided. Every one of you guys thought WAY outside the box...and when I asked that you provide tips to performers who were just getting into pendulums...you did.

The book has been in the hands of our website subscribers for almost a week now. We sent it out on the strict understanding that no one would talk about about it until the 31st. Thus far no one has said anything. I think we are going to see some reviews popping up here on Wednesday. I'm looking forward to them!

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

tctahoe
View Profile
V.I.P.
Lakeland Fl.
739 Posts

Profile of tctahoe
I am really enjoying this book. I commend you on the book and the website, thank you for this David.
TC Tahoe - The Intuitionist
The 33rd Most Interesting Man in the World
http://www.tctahoe.com
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
4008 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Thank you, TC. It was great working with you! Your routine rocks...I really enjoyed your out of the box thinking.

tctahoe
View Profile
V.I.P.
Lakeland Fl.
739 Posts

Profile of tctahoe
Thank you David, but...
I have to warn everyone, do not read Grandmother’s Present before you go to bed...what a great Routine By Vic Nadata. Still getting chills thinking about it, cannot wait to perform it.
blackpine0008
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of blackpine0008
Beautiful work Mr. Thiel. That "gypsy" pendulum is gorgeous.
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice." Joseph Dunninger
rickhypno
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of rickhypno
The opening is today or tomorrow?
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
4008 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
It's tomorrow, Rick...provided I don't sleep between now and then. Smile

Thank you blackpine. I agree with you. The Gypsy is just a little guy -- but it's amazingly responsive. Thank you for the compliment! I'll pass it onto Sheree but NOW she's going to be impossible to live with.

David

Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
I was fortunate to receive a copy of Pendulum Magic: A Guide To Mystery Performers for review from David Thiel. I will also be contributing to the second book due for release in the fall.

The first thing that struck me about Pendulum Magic is David’s writing style. His passion for the topic is obvious from word one. He evoked memories of the first time a pendulum ever swung in my own hands via both his eloquence and sense of humor.

Pendulum Magic is replete with wonderful contributions. Rich Hennessey, of MentalCraft and a master pendulum artisan in his own right, provides an introduction that sets the mood for what is to follow.

As per David’s goal, each contribution is more than just an effect. They all contain nuances applicable to maximize the impact of any pendulum performance.

While not quite a guide for newcomers, there is plenty of information to set pendulum novices on the right path. And experienced users of my favorite “instrument” for the mystery performer will find much within Pendulum Magic to excite and inspire their own work.

As they’ve already been well described, I won’t bother discussing the effects individually. They range from the heart warming to the heart pounding and everything in between. From classic mentalism presentations to storytelling and the quite bizarre, they all hold in common the potential to deeply engage your audience in a unique experience they will long remember.

I am also very excited about the site David has set in place, where Pendulum Magic has its home. I’ve long wanted a forum devoted to pendulums and it is finally here. One stop shopping for all your pendulum needs, including the most important need; to be able to share and brainstorm with your pendulum peers!

The pendulums I’ve seen so far are exquisite. I had no plans to buy one quite yet but when I saw the Gypsy on sale, I couldn’t resist. Just looking at the photo inspired me to begin shaping a routine.

David, I wish you great success with this fantastic project and look forward to helping make the forum dynamic and valuable. To everyone who contributed to Pendulum Magic, you have my utmost appreciation and respect for your wonderful routines. Without reservation, I highly recommend Pendulum Magic: A Guide To Mystery Performers to anyone with an interest in pendulums.
tctahoe
View Profile
V.I.P.
Lakeland Fl.
739 Posts

Profile of tctahoe
The site is up and my oh my...you have got some beautiful pendulums there! "Seer" is my favorite...now if I can just misdirect my wife and gt her wallet....
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá
A BEAUTIFUL collection of work .

Congratulations to the MP group!
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
4008 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Bill: What a great review. Thank you for doing this. Coming from you...it's wonderful news.

TC: It's in her sock drawer under the blue ones she never wears...because she uses it to cover the wallet.

Amira: You rock, my friend. Thank you for the kind wishes.

David

Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
[quote]On 2011-08-25 00:48, Godzilla wrote:
I want you and Sheree to make me the "DARKEST most BEAUTIFUL" pendulum you guys can come up with!

Now Bro...can you fix me up with what I request ???

The gauntlet was thrown to the ground !... The response was "Nightmare".
Dave and Sheree gave me back more than I ever expected! That was kind of a big(HUGE) request about Dark and Beautiful at the same time! But is was taken care of! "Nightmare" can be seen on David's site,under custom made.
This was an enjoyable process. Me and David would talk about a few things,and Sheree will tell David not to tell me anything about my pendulum! LOL I did not see pictures of her,until last night.
They got on this right away ,while performing and getting the site to open!
I can really say ...welcome to my "Nightmare" ! Smile She is going to join the company of Rich's fine pendulums!

Thank you David and Sheree !
As,for "Nightmare"..."the stories of her past,will now lead to the stories, she will unfold"!
Go take a peek !

Gary
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
gmeister
View Profile
Inner circle
1588 Posts

Profile of gmeister
This is a terrible site, David!

I ask--nay, DEMAND--that you do the spare others the misery of going on to it by taking any and all actions to make it accessible only to those poor unfortunates who were stupid enough to subscribe prior to its opening. Leave us to atone alone for our mistakes and to wallow in all the wondrous offerings ourselves.

Oppps--that is "to wallow in all the wretched offerings." Forget wondrous! It has nothing to do with wondrous. It's wretched, I tell you, wretched! Who said wondrows? No one said wondrous. I clearly heard wretched, I tell you, wretc . . . .
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
4008 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Gary...you just make me smile. It was a joy.

gmeister: ummm....what? Smile You SEE what happens when you skip your meds???

We are having a SMASHING opening. I've been sending books and pendulum off like crazy. It's better than we expected. You guys rock! I am so glad to see you all enjoying the forum and the interaction there. Makes my spirit sing to know you guys are liking it. Thank you.

David

gmeister
View Profile
Inner circle
1588 Posts

Profile of gmeister
Quote:
On 2011-09-01 13:15, David Thiel wrote:

gmeister: ummm....what? Smile You SEE what happens when you skip your meds???

Come to think of it . . .