The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Mentally Speaking :: The Peak (416 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16~17 [Next]
Roberto W
View Profile
Inner circle
1258 Posts

Profile of Roberto W
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2022, Magic Dust wrote:
I wonder who uses such an impractical newfangled purse ...

Where does the change and receipts end up ? Not to mention all the other things

that still find room in a conventional wallet. I do not see any practical daily application.

Have to say I agree, as well as performing in a variety of settings amongst all age groups and from a social side with friends, seeing other people as in the general public out and about etc, I have yet to see one person who carries this device on them to replace a wallet.
Noobmaster69
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of Noobmaster69
Quote:
I wonder who uses such an impractical newfangled purse ...

Where does the change and receipts end up ? Not to mention all the other things

that still find room in a conventional wallet. I do not see any practical daily application.

Even though I don't find The Peak appealing at all... You won't find any receipt or change in my wallet.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7619 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2022, Noobmaster69 wrote:

You won't find any receipt or change in my wallet.

Not in my wallet either.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Magic Dust
View Profile
Inner circle
1455 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
Quote:
Even though I don't find The Peak appealing at all... You won't find any receipt or change in my wallet.

Maybe it's because of the country you live in, fortunately in Germany a total cashless system has not been introduced yet.

People still pay with real coins & bills and receipts are always important for the annual tax bill or an exchange or reclamation..
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7619 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
Quote:

Maybe it's because of the country you live in, fortunately in Germany a total cashless system has not been introduced yet.

People still pay with real coins & bills and receipts are always important for the annual tax bill or an exchange or reclamation..

Agree they are important but I still don't keep receipts and especially coins in my wallet and I live in the US.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2264 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
You get a receipt for the day, you stuff it in your pocket and when you get home, you put it where you need to keep it for taxes. You don't need to house them in your wallet.

This "wallet" is more so a business card holder, not a wallet. There are others like this that also have a money clip on the back, that's more of a wallet.

Quote:
On Sep 6, 2022, Roberto W wrote:

Just to add another twist in this whole saga, it may have been that what they were shown (giving the reactions) was completely different to the trailer we all saw. So he may have deliberately chosen a very bright lit room to show it in (with maybe even additional lighting) so it showed up the drawing/peek even more, maybe. So the point of that would have been to make the contrast look even better on camera for them being very clear almost like a privacy filter is day and night when turned..

Even easier, maybe the creator just straight up lied and said "it's kinda hard to see over Zoom, but in person it looks super clear."
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10800 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Sep 5, 2022, videoman wrote:
While I applaud The Collective for quickly trying to rectify this situation, it’s too bad they made such a basic mistake in the first place. Had they genuinely had many people beta test the product then surely they would have discovered that 80% had issues with it being too dark. Hard to believe that they had many people test it and they all thought it was perfect but once released the vast majority found it unusable.

Had they learned it was too dark for most users they then could have (should have) simply supplied a light and heavy panel in the first place to allow buyers to have a choice. Kind of odd to me also that they were able to develop a new panel in a matter of days but that’s a good thing I guess.

And before we all consider this problem now solved, let’s see what other sacrifices need to be made in return for the clearer image. It seems it would almost certainly be more visible to the spectator so you’re probably not going to be able to set it on the table or be able to show the hot side after their card is in it. This won’t be an issue for some but others might not like this trade-off.

Now if the new panel can be shown as openly to the spectator (or even close to it) then why the heck would you opt to make it intentionally darker in the original? What is the benefit to that?

Finally, I’m not really buying their reasoning for not making it fit US biz cards. After all, we’re talking about an increase in size of a tiny fraction longer in length ONLY. So you’re telling me that size difference will be immediately recognizable and will look strange to people? Keeping in mind most people have never owned or even seen in person a newer style wallet like this. Sure, they’re advertised everywhere but I agree with Gaz in that I’ve yet to see one IRL. To make it sound like a credit card will be sliding all around with all that extra room sounds to me like creating an excuse to cover an oversight. So you see, not fitting US biz cards is a feature not a bug! Smile

Anyway, I do hope it all works out to everyone's satisfaction. But this being the Café you know that not everyone will be happy with it. Smile

As a creator, I have always been of the belief that there MUST be a large pool of beta testers months before a release. Not just for reviews (which are great, but not the end goal) but for suggestions/improvements/ideas and uncovering faults or design problems in earliest stages. My good friend here in Phoenix, Craig F at ProMystic has always used a significant pool of testers for the past decade+ to uncover issues (especially with complex products like Scan 3D of which I was one of the 1st testers, which ultimately became the seed for the superb Flux product. I uncovered a number of issues with Scan 3D in the early testing - which Craig fixed. The complexity of the groundbreaking software & hardware with Scan 3D was enormous).

IMO any magic creator should be building in the idea of sending out 30+ units free to BOTH old customers + well known names asking for honest/ no BS feedback and suggestions for improvements. This process is costly, but it is less costly than releasing a flawed product. The upside is that over some months beta testers also may suggest routine ideas too + reviews (but ONLY if they loved it).

Reviews strictly over Zoom is untenable and unwise - and after this crazy situation, I guarantee many of the "big names" who endorsed this will be far more cautious in the future.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2077 Posts

Profile of David Numen
In the interest of openness and honesty I need to disclose what happened with my Peak.

Within 3 days of carrying it around I found part of the elastic fraying. I contacted Mr Blonde for a refund but he said he was willing to send me a second unit and was so confident I would love it (and as far as the actual workings of the device are concerned, I did like it) that if I wasn’t happy he would refund me. I received the second unit this morning, didn’t get a chance to play with it until late afternoon. The peek seemed darker but I found a sweet spot angle I was happy with and then I saw a tear in the elastic in one corner. I contacted Mr Blonde and he refunded me straight away.

So, despite my initial enthusiasm for this, I can’t recommend it.
Greybear65
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Greybear65
Hi, I asked my money back.......but nothing.
Magicworld and Murphysmagic answers are....:"sorry for your disappointed....but ...in the future we will send you a different "screen".....probably...not sure...we will study on it"
Thaks for your patiense."
I ask my money back....It's easy...or not?
equivoque
View Profile
Special user
867 Posts

Profile of equivoque
This product is an excellent example of what is wrong with the magic community and marketplace. First, the product won’t work unless you cut your business cards down to size. Second, you need to use a sharpie or thicker marker just to be able to read it. Third, it is difficult to read in low light settings. Then, there is the misleading marketing in which the professionals who gave endorsements were only reacting to a video display of how it worked over zoom! They commented before actually seeing the wallet! You might as well flush $100 down the toilet and Finally, the seller is remaining anonymous!
equivoque
View Profile
Special user
867 Posts

Profile of equivoque
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2022, Greybear65 wrote:
Hi, I asked my money back.......but nothing.
Magicworld and Murphysmagic answers are....:"sorry for your disappointed....but ...in the future we will send you a different "screen".....probably...not sure...we will study on it"
Thaks for your patiense."
I ask my money back....It's easy...or not?

You are 100% correct. They should give a refund to anyone who requested one.
nostrings
View Profile
Loyal user
Newport News, VA
294 Posts

Profile of nostrings
How does one get in touch with Mr Blonde. Tried to leave PM on here but have not heard back in a few days now.
setsuna83
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of setsuna83
Hi, wondering does anyone has any info about the replacement panel that they will be producing and sending out to all The Peak customers? Have tried emailing Mr Blonde but no response for more than a week now.
alanm99
View Profile
Regular user
England, UK
137 Posts

Profile of alanm99
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2022, Wravyn wrote:

I spent some hard earned allowance on a pair of x-ray vision glasses .......

What must've really sold those glasses was that it claimed the wearer to see through cloths Smile Smile

Yes, the buyer was not happy as it turned out to be an optical illusion but all you lost was a dollar or two.

In this case its a $100 carbon fibre wallet that is useless.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3557 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Nov 5, 2022, alanm99 wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2022, Wravyn wrote:

I spent some hard earned allowance on a pair of x-ray vision glasses .......

What must've really sold those glasses was that it claimed the wearer to see through cloths Smile Smile

Yes, the buyer was not happy as it turned out to be an optical illusion but all you lost was a dollar or two.

In this case its a $100 carbon fibre wallet that is useless.

At the ripe old age of about 6 years old, a dollar or two was, what felt like $100 to me.

The hype generated for this new wallet, just from showing the reactions of known and respected creators, produced the same response as those ads for the X-ray vision glasses did.

Unfortunately, many were bamboozled out of a chunk of money with their search of that holy grail of peek devices. There are lessons to be learned from this fiasco.
MysticJohn
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of MysticJohn
The true lesson is, invest in some well known quality books and do some deep study and you may find you don’t need costly
Gimmicks or Devices to perform powerful Mentalism. Smile
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3557 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Mystic, true, but the kid in us still wants new toys.
MysticJohn
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of MysticJohn
Quote:
On Nov 22, 2022, Wravyn wrote:

Yes true, I’m as guilty as the rest of us lol
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3557 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Nov 22, 2022, MysticJohn wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 22, 2022, Wravyn wrote:

Yes true, I’m as guilty as the rest of us lol

One reason The Latest and Greatest topic is always busy!
Though for peek wallets, after Stunninger shared his with us, I could care less about looking at another one, I will just read through the threads about them.
threadman77
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of threadman77