The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Mentally Speaking :: The Peak (416 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..15~16~17 [Next]
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3275 Posts

Profile of 252life
Not my cup of p$$k, but I like the way they handled that ad copy.
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6789 Posts

Profile of videoman
The Alias Wallet has been my preferred peek wallet for the last year or so, but this one looks nice too. My biggest gripe with Alias is using it in dim lighting can be very difficult and I have concerns about dim lighting with this one too, as others have mentioned.
Don Wand
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of Don Wand
I will say it does look very Nice. If it's as good as all the Big Names are saying. I think the Creator should take credit. But there maybe a logical reason behind why? It's got to be Very impressive. So I'm Wishing it to be Amazing and turns out to be a EDC!! Best Wishes my fingers are crossed. I may have to buy one.
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
1716 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
“No privacy scr**n“ but obviously another half transparent material and same handling like with 99.99% of peek wallets.
It looks like a high quality product but I can’t see much new here to be honest.
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3352 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
My full review is up in my group Smile
Caleb Blanc
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Caleb Blanc
This looks interesting. Hopefully the peek is nicely justified with the handling shared on the project. Thanks Luca for your review.
simon hughes
View Profile
Veteran user
London
362 Posts

Profile of simon hughes
Great review Luca. Can’t wait to get mine, looks sick.
Roberto W
View Profile
Inner circle
1258 Posts

Profile of Roberto W
Quote:
On Aug 21, 2022, Caleb Blanc wrote:
This looks interesting. Hopefully the peek is nicely justified with the handling shared on the project. Thanks Luca for your review.

It’s up to people what justification you use to why you decide to take the card back and put it back in the wallet/holder to make it appear logical and justified. I’m yet to find or discover any reason why you need to take it back to put it in, that gives genuine logical justification that makes sense.
Michael.Kegel
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
142 Posts

Profile of Michael.Kegel
Performer: I can read your mind, but only if I myself take the card you wrote on back from you and put it inside MY wallet-like thingy here.
Spectator 1: It's okay. I just put it into my pocket. So, tell me: what did I write?
OR
Spectator 2: No, you don't have to. I just press it against my chest and hold my hand on top. Go, tell me. I'm curious.

Why does anyone need "The Peak"? Why?

I also don't get why the magic community needs another hyped product with an over-styled trailer; as if it was something brand-new or innovative or even practical. It just doesn't make any sense, like all the other "lemme put that card you wrote on back in my wallet" stuff. Just get Paralab's Parapad or Forster-Johnson Pad and perform such an effect convincingly.

No offence. Just my 2 Cents - especially concerning another way over-hyped product. I'd love to see a video clip with a plain overview what the product is about and an uncut performance video instead of these Hollywood-esque trailer clips that are 4 minutes long and only tell me a glimpse of what I need to know in half a minute or so.
Roberto W
View Profile
Inner circle
1258 Posts

Profile of Roberto W
Quote:
On Aug 21, 2022, Michael.Kegel wrote:
Performer: I can read your mind, but only if I myself take the card you wrote on back from you and put it inside MY wallet-like thingy here.
Spectator 1: It's okay. I just put it into my pocket. So, tell me: what did I write?
OR
Spectator 2: No, you don't have to. I just press it against my chest and hold my hand on top. Go, tell me. I'm curious.

Why does anyone need "The Peak"? Why?

I also don't get why the magic community needs another hyped product with an over-styled trailer; as if it was something brand-new or innovative or even practical. It just doesn't make any sense, like all the other "lemme put that card you wrote on back in my wallet" stuff. Just get Paralab's Parapad or Forster-Johnson Pad and perform such an effect convincingly.

No offence. Just my 2 Cents - especially concerning another way over-hyped product. I'd love to see a video clip with a plain overview what the product is about and an uncut performance video instead of these Hollywood-esque trailer clips that are 4 minutes long and only tell me a glimpse of what I need to know in half a minute or so.

Spot on
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1861 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Quote:
On Aug 21, 2022, Roberto W wrote:
Quote:

It’s up to people what justification you use to why you decide to take the card back and put it back in the wallet/holder to make it appear logical and justified. I’m yet to find or discover any reason why you need to take it back to put it in, that gives genuine logical justification that makes sense.

It doesn't need to make sense. Your performance, the element of mystery and audience intrigue covers any such need. People have been successfully performing non-sensical parts of their repertoire for as long as magic has been around.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
Roberto W
View Profile
Inner circle
1258 Posts

Profile of Roberto W
But this is the difference - you are pretending to read their mind - not perform a magic trick.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6789 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
Quote:

OK Roberto, we get it. You don’t care for any peek device which requires you to place whatever billet or card that has been written on, back inside of the device. That’s fair enough. Personally, I don’t care for any peek device that requires the performer to go even one step further and reopen it, usually to get out another business card for themselves to write on.

So it’s all good, we are all entitled to our opinions. But the implication I get from reading your repeated statements is that you personally believe that this method doesn’t work. That it doesn’t really fool anyone. All of these spectators are merely being very polite.

Now I can certainly understand that perhaps you believe that it shouldn’t fool anyone, but I assure you that it absolutely does fool people. Performers are totally freaking people out every day using this method. I guarantee you that these thousands of spectators are not merely being polite.

As I mentioned, I don’t care for methods requiring the performer to reopen the wallet after the specs card has been placed inside of it, but I don’t deny that it can fool people badly. I’ve seen it first hand many times when performed by others.

So you can dislike the method and you are welcome to your opinion but if you believe that the method is foolish rather than fooling, then you are simply being ignorant to the fact that there are many, many years of evidence to the contrary.
Roberto W
View Profile
Inner circle
1258 Posts

Profile of Roberto W
Completely missing the point - if you read my other post (which you obviously have) then you will see I have said spectators are fooled - because they don’t know how the necessary secret of that particular gimmick works - that’s how they are fooled. What they are not fooled with is them thinking you genuinely read their mind and you would of had to have gained the info from the wallet/holder when they illogically and unjustifiably had to put the card/you put the card back in. Once they think this, what you have mealy just performed is purely a magic trick nothing more.
dirtyfoucault
View Profile
Special user
UK
736 Posts

Profile of dirtyfoucault
How can anyone be fooled by a peek device called The Peak that exists solely to facilitate peak peeking?
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6789 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
Completely missing the point - if you read my other post (which you obviously have) then you will see I have said spectators are fooled - because they don’t know how the necessary secret of that particular gimmick works - that’s how they are fooled. What they are not fooled with is them thinking you genuinely read their mind and you would of had to have gained the info from the wallet/holder when they illogically and unjustifiably had to put the card/you put the card back in. Once they think this, what you have mealy just performed is purely a magic trick nothing more.

So your point is that they are fooled but they’re not really fooled?
Seems it is you who has missed the point of this entire segment of the mystery arts.

First of all, you seem to believe the misguided notion that the goal of all mentalists is to convince people they can read minds. This is incorrect, the ultimate goal is to amaze and entertain them. Some may genuinely wonder if you can read minds while others know deep down inside it must have been a trick but are thoroughly entertained and mystified anyway. Either way is fine. They are a satisfied audience who enjoyed your performance.

An experienced performer can easily justify the actions you find so illogical so that they fly by skeptical spectators 99.9% of the time.

The idea that if they were completely mystified but suspect it was a trick thereby means you have failed as an entertainer is where you have completely misunderstood the point of what mystery performers and mentalists are trying to do.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6789 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Aug 21, 2022, videoman wrote:
Quote:

Seems it is you who has missed the point of this entire segment of the mystery arts.

First of all, you seem to believe the misguided notion that the goal of all mentalists is to convince people that they can genuinely read minds. This is incorrect, the ultimate goal is to amaze and entertain them. Some may genuinely wonder if you can read minds while others know deep down inside it must have been a trick but are thoroughly entertained and mystified anyway. Either way is fine. They are a satisfied audience who enjoyed your performance.

An experienced performer can easily justify the actions you find so illogical so that they fly by skeptical spectators 99.9% of the time.

The idea that if they were completely mystified but suspect it was a trick thereby means you have failed as an entertainer is where you have completely misunderstood the point of what mystery performers and mentalists are trying to do.
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1198 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
Quote:
On Aug 21, 2022, dirtyfoucault wrote:
How can anyone be fooled by a peek device called The Peak that exists solely to facilitate peak peeking?

Ummm. You don’t tell them it’s called Peak… you pretend it’s a real wallet
Lakewood, Ohio
Roberto W
View Profile
Inner circle
1258 Posts

Profile of Roberto W
Quote:
On Aug 21, 2022, videoman wrote:
Quote:

First of all, you seem to believe the misguided notion that the goal of all mentalists is to convince people they can read minds. This is incorrect, the ultimate goal is to amaze and entertain them. Some may genuinely wonder if you can read minds while others know deep down inside it must have been a trick but are thoroughly entertained and mystified anyway. Either way is fine. They are a satisfied audience who enjoyed your performance.

Really don’t know why it’s so hard to understand that someone can be fooled in not knowing how a gimmick exactly works, but not fooled enough to know you didn’t actually just genuinely read their mind. So yes that statement does make sense. Re your interpretation of what a ‘mentalist’ does, it’s exactly that - your/my interpretation. But I 1000000% guarantee you of one thing… those big names in the trailer as with many other people who consider themselves a ‘mentalist’ inc myself, want to be a far from being associated as being a ‘magician’ performing ‘magic tricks’ as possible. The whole premise they/we are trying to sell to be believable to their audience is what they are performing is not a magic trick, but achieved what and how they did what they did through other means and it not being magic related eg psychology, mental influence, an ability, telepathy etc etc etc. So it’s not just a job that a mentalist is there to entertain, personally (in my opinion) it’s their/our job to sell what they/we are doing as NOT being a magic trick.

You really are not grasping the concept and difference between magic and mentalism. If someone performing as a mentalist performs a effect and the audience thinks it’s a magic trick, you havnt failed as far as entertainment value but you have failed in the character you are trying to portray and make believable. That opinion the spectators have 9/10 comes down to what effect you choose to perform, how you perform it and linking back to this thread, what ‘props’ you decide to use.
Dr Ross
View Profile
Loyal user
Lincoln, UK
203 Posts

Profile of Dr Ross
Quote:
On Aug 21, 2022, dirtyfoucault wrote:

Well, my question is - Would a peek at The Peak peek pique my interest?
Ross Bartels

Author of:
'Vector' (propless code divination) https://www.mindfx.co.uk/products/vector-by-ross-bartels-e-book
'Janken' (propless RPS effects) - limited release
'Tacitus' (non-verbal propless effect) - limited release