The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Mentally Speaking :: Best ESP effect (28 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4204 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Yes, very nice (!), also the alternative for the "usual" bo***m d**l ... still, I would prefer my handling as it looks so clean, no real moves at all, everything happens on the table, nothing in the hands... Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
ipe
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of ipe
Hi Jan, I saw the ESPissimo (Italian name? Smile) video you kindly shared here on the Café. Your solution is really elegant, I like it a lot!

Have you ever found someone having some suspicions on your non-move? Do you think it require some form of misdirection to be fully deceptive?

From your video I understand you perform the effect minimum 2 times, not counting the cases 1 or 2, right? What if you have case 5 the first time, would you continue a second time?

In case the first time you have a case 4 and the second time a case 2, how do you justify this discrepancy?

Thanks,
Ipe
What would a real mindreader do?
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4204 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Case 5 - I would not repeat it (only exception as it is a full hit...). Case 4 and then case 2 is not a problem if you act like, "would you like to see already how good you've done already until now...?" Smile ... I never needed (until today) any form of misdirection, in the "worst case", direct eye contact and probably lifting your forefinger on the level of your eyes is really enough... Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
ipe
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of ipe
Thank you very much, Jan Smile
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1664 Posts

Profile of elimagic
Ps. I’m a huge fan of this esp deck.

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7402
Mystic Pudding
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Mystic Pudding
Jazz Mentalism/Rhine's Revenge is my favorite and easy to do.
PsiDroid
View Profile
Inner circle
2164 Posts

Profile of PsiDroid
Of course there is no one best effect for everyone it's different; surely a very interesting booklet is "Mind Novas" from Stephen Minch

So many good and clever principles applied to ESP decks, it deserves a good and thourough reading...
stevie c
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of stevie c
I love Jazz Mentalism for it's elegance and simplicity. My only slight gripe with all the ESP routines I've played around with has nothing to do with the routines themselves. It's actually the cards... or more specifically the symbols on them!! I know ESP cards have stood the test of time but I do sometimes wonder how!!

Never once has a spectator been familiar with such a set of cards / symbols when I've introduced them, which I guess isn't particularly surprising as they are pretty abstract. Is this a problem? Maybe not, and I'll continue to use my sets of standard ESP cards.

I recently came across these ESP cards:-

https://blackcatmagic.co.uk/index.php/pr......p-cards/

What struck me about this idea is how it may be perceived by a spectator. I think lots of people would definitely find well known rock bands/singers a more tangible concept than five symbols? If you can better stimulate a spectator's interest by using a different premise, perhaps the effect will be even more memorable?

Anyways I've ordered a set of these, as I think they will suit my presentation and style. I wondered what others' thoughts on this approach are?

BW

Steve
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1198 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
It’s the one you create.

Just kidding!

It’s 4DT.
Lakewood, Ohio
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2021, stevie c wrote:
I love Jazz Mentalism for it's elegance and simplicity. My only slight gripe with all the ESP routines I've played around with has nothing to do with the routines themselves. It's actually the cards... or more specifically the symbols on them!! I know ESP cards have stood the test of time but I do sometimes wonder how!!

Never once has a spectator been familiar with such a set of cards / symbols when I've introduced them, which I guess isn't particularly surprising as they are pretty abstract. Is this a problem? Maybe not, and I'll continue to use my sets of standard ESP cards.

What struck me about this idea is how it may be perceived by a spectator. I think lots of people would definitely find well known rock bands/singers a more tangible concept than five symbols? If you can better stimulate a spectator's interest by using a different premise, perhaps the effect will be even more memorable?

Anyways I've ordered a set of these, as I think they will suit my presentation and style. I wondered what others' thoughts on this approach are?

BW

Steve

I think these turn a mentalism effect into a magic trick.
stevie c
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of stevie c
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2021, Martin Pulman wrote:
Quote:

BW

Steve

Surely that would depend on one's presentation Martin, otherwise the implication is that a matching effect could only be considered mentalism if it's performed with cards bearing Zener symbols?

BW

Steve
ipe
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of ipe
Quote:
On Feb 15, 2021, PsiDroid wrote:
Of course there is no one best effect for everyone it's different; surely a very interesting booklet is "Mind Novas" from Stephen Minch

So many good and clever principles applied to ESP decks, it deserves a good and thourough reading...

Hi PsiDroid, do you have some specific effects/principles to suggest from that booklet?
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:

Surely that would depend on one's presentation Martin, otherwise the implication is that a matching effect could only be considered mentalism if it's performed with cards bearing Zener symbols?

BW

Steve [/quote]
I think the props you use are a vital component of good mentalism.
PsiDroid
View Profile
Inner circle
2164 Posts

Profile of PsiDroid
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2021, ipe wrote:
Quote:

Hi PsiDroid, do you have some specific effects/principles to suggest from that booklet?

Wtithout being near the book now, I recall having performed - Either Or, DoppleGanger, Genesis II, Quatrain...
ipe
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of ipe
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2021, PsiDroid wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2021, ipe wrote:
Quote:

Wtithout being near the book now, I recall having performed - Either Or, DoppleGanger, Genesis II, Quatrain...

Thank you, PsiDroid! Smile
fowill
View Profile
New user
Chile
30 Posts

Profile of fowill
There's such an incredible amount of ifferent types of ESP cards and routines. For me, the beat is first to do some research about ESP symbols experiment, Dr. Rhine (there are interesting connections with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle...). In terms of routines after looking at dozens of them, I'm keeping with Ben Blau's Unfazed and Jazz Mentalism (David Humphrey).
Magonil
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Magonil
I always carry in my wallet, perfect esp
AlexanderG
View Profile
Veteran user
No more and no less than
366 Posts

Profile of AlexanderG
Anyone have any tips on their favorite first card turn-over move in "Jazz Mentalism"? Would love to hear here (if you can use double-speak) or via DM. Many thanks.
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1636 Posts

Profile of Darkness
I prefer to tell engaging stories with esp that are not based on labs while interpreting and giving meaning to the actual symbols.

With a book of fun routines.

http://mrdarkness.com/helloween/
THE SUPERNATURAL ILLUSIONIST & EFFECTS CREATOR WWW.MRDARKNESS.COM
Psychiac
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of Psychiac
Quote:
On May 1, 2023, AlexanderG wrote:
Anyone have any tips on their favorite first card turn-over move in "Jazz Mentalism"? Would love to hear here (if you can use double-speak) or via DM. Many thanks.

I've fumbled around with the same question unhappily, and lately have just blatantly conveyed something where it needs to be with a lot of natural body language, a pinch of patter and a dash of timing misdirection. For me, to my initial surprise and for whatever reason(s), this draws less focus than whatever I had been occasionally telegraphing with other options.

My poor and deluded memory suggests that the Eclipse tutorial may have been what inspired me to give this a try...