The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Nothing up my sleeve... :: Thanks to Ramsey (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Kihei
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of Kihei
Does anyone currently perform "Thanks to Ramsey" by Jonathan Townsend? I stumbled accross this today and wonder how it would work and in what situations.
-Mitch
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
I did, but then again, I had the benefit of having Jon fool me with it first. It's a good piece, and there are real lessons to be learned from it. Don't count on the bare bones description from Apocalypse. That's a description of the moves. You'll learn a lot more if you work on getting the psychology of the piece to work for you.

Jonathan's here at the Café, perhaps he can shed a little more light on it.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27306 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Hi folks,

It took a bit to get over the shock of seeing the thing referenced.

If you have a chance to work through the original three coin vanish sequence from Ramsay's Three Coins in the Hat trick, you will be almost ready to play with this small variation Harry was kind enough to publish.

The vanish 'feeling' is different than in the Ramsay trick. Think of how you react to flash paper when you burn a piece in your hand. Think of how you toss the stuff from your fingertips so's not to burn your fingers. That is where we are going with the vanishes in this trick. Imagine that coins dematerialize at your fingertips when you give the coins a certain glance. As they fizzle away into nothingness, you toss the remainder away, lest your fingertips get fizzled.

The coins do not need to be identical, as no utility switch is used. Likewise the coins need not be quite as soft, since the second placement is covered by a situation where there would normally be some noise anyway. It all comes down to that last coin vanish. If you get the original Ramsay thing working, you have a general/utility thing.

Hope this helps,

Jonathan
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Kihei
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of Kihei
Thanks Jonathan for the response. You couldn't have been as shocked as I was having you respond. Could you clarify some things for me? In the Apocalypse description, there is a utility switch after the 1st coin. Am I misunderstanding the text or the term? Also what would you do following this if anything? Did you leave them dying to know where the coins went?

Thank you very much for your time.
-Mitch
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27306 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
As I recall the thing... been a while since reading the Apocalypse issue;

First vanish is a standard pivot vanish,
(okay, could do two utility switches here)

Second vanish goes into the hand holding out as per the hanging sequence in Three Coins...

Third vanish is standard last coin vanish from Ramsay trick.

What surprised folks was that the vanish action was not set to a palm up display of an empty hand, and this permitted the left/right/left display.

Kainoa Harbottle picked up on this idea in his 'pendulum' type routines. He also extended the idea of making the magic work from both hands in other routines in his book Coins on Edge.

If you are doing a trick like the Hat or the Cylinder and Coins, where the coins appear elsewhere, the sequence works well.

If you want to leave people wondering about some vanishes; start by taking sky hooks out of your pocket (three) and then do the Roth hanging coins. When you get to the last coin... go looking for another hook and then tell them you only brought three sky hooks, and ask them to come back in a year when the hooks will be in the same position again. Smile IE, vanish 3 of 4, look in your pockets for another hook, and leave the trick hanging there.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Speaking of Ramsay.

I Just attended the Carney Lecture.

Great!
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1693 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Also the Ramsay videos were just released on dvd!!!
http://www.internationalmagic.com

Best
Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
CardiniMan
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
169 Posts

Profile of CardiniMan
Hey Jonathan, which Apocalypse issue is it in?