The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Nothing up my sleeve... :: 2 in the hand, 1 in the pocket? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
757 Posts

Profile of karnak
I don’t have Bobo handy at the moment, so quick question:

Is “Gadabout Coins” the same thing as the old “2 in the hand, 1 in the pocket” bit?

I also don’t have Stars of Magic handy either, so followup quick question:

Is the “(Fabulous) Three Ball Trick” also essentially the same thing as “2h, 1p”?

(Or different enough to be… well, different?)
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
NicholasD25
View Profile
Veteran user
387 Posts

Profile of NicholasD25
The Gadabout coins is pretty much two in the hand , one in the pocket. The Three Ball Trick can include a two in the hand , one in the pocket phase, but it’s different in that , for the most part it’s balls traveling one at a time from hand to hand.
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
10001 Posts

Profile of funsway
There are some slight differences in the handlings/sleight that are mostly interchangeable. One of the basics, I feel.

The principle is the key and works with found objects as well as the traditional ones.
Coffee Creamers work well for true impromptu since they can be palmed as a coin or ball.

There is some evidence this was used in Medieval times as a lead in to C&B.

I have added a couple of unique moves to my routines, as I am sure other have.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9542 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I have a version of this too in my Mini Magic Book, “Grandpa’s Famous 3 Coin Trick.” I do some different things in it, but that’s what makes the old trick such a classic, that you can tailor it as you will, as fun’s mentions just above as to his own routine. I sorta put my spin on it together from a few versions I had taken to over the years, along with a bit from my own thoughts about it. It is a fun routine, and in itself one of the best coin tricks ever IMHO. Why? Well, because of its versatility, and that it teaches you a bit of everything in coin magic. On top of that, it is a fun trick to present and allows so much interaction with the specs. I chose to tell a story with it and just allow the specs to more so just follow along .They are just as amazed as if you were asking them the famous question of it…”How many coins?” Smile

Now in my “less is more” feeling about magic, I often use the old trick as a last leg, after starting with 1 coin vanish & reproduction, then a little 2 coin action like my MB Transpo, and then this with 3 coins. Smile It’s just about all the coin magic you ever have to do, a nice little set. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile