The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Nothing up my sleeve... :: What is your favorite coin to work with? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
waveman
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of waveman
I don't mean the gaffs just the coins.

Mine are Morgans, and Barbers.

However, I do have a couple tricks that I only a 64 Kennedy will do.
eric_e
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of eric_e
I actually like quarters, since they're big enough for most things and common enough that you can almost always borrow them, which I think adds a lot to many tricks. And it's almost impossible to borrow, say, a half dollar of any kind anymore, sadly enough.
waveman
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of waveman
True, now we have to deal with the soon to be fifty different quarters out there.
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Hi
£5 and 1/2 dollar.

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
Razzle Dazzle
View Profile
New user
Houston,Texas
17 Posts

Profile of Razzle Dazzle
I like the Morgans quite a bit. I also have four 1964 Kennedy half dollars, silver, that I'm quite fond of.
Peace,
Alex Martin
saturnin
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
964 Posts

Profile of saturnin
We are lucky in Canada (for one thing at least!)

We have loonies (1$) and toonies (2$) which are similar in size to american half-dollars.

Which means you can do a lot a coin magic with borrowed coins! Smile

Ronnie Lemieux
Montreal
Canada
There is no road to happiness,

happiness is the road!
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
837 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
Personally I like to use Morgan Dollars and Barber Halves, more so the Barber Halves though. I love the way they look and how quiet they are.

-Bill
deerbourne
View Profile
Regular user
Centennial, CO
174 Posts

Profile of deerbourne
Silver Kennedys (67 and 68) and some well worn Walking Liberties, although I prefer the Kennedys for the clean edges.

Deerbourne
Bill Thomas
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Bill Thomas
Half dollars - walking liberties
sleightofhander
View Profile
Special user
618 Posts

Profile of sleightofhander
I've been using my remilled walking liberties from Jamie.
Dawai
View Profile
Regular user
Honolulu,Hawaii
131 Posts

Profile of Dawai
Morgan Dollard,64 Kennedy halfs and the every day Quarters
EricHenning
View Profile
Loyal user
Laurel, Maryland
218 Posts

Profile of EricHenning
I use U.S. Silver Eagles which feel right to my large hands and look beautiful (they are based on the "Walking Liberty" design). They are collectors' bullion coins, are a full ounce of silver and are thicker, heavier and larger in diameter than Morgans. They are close enough to work with Sudbury copper pennies though. They cost about $10 new from coin dealers (uncirculated, not proof). I am lucky to live near one of the biggest coin dealers on the East Coast, Golden Eagle.

My gaffed sets are mostly Morgans, although I plan to slowly phase in Eagle gaffs as I can afford to (are you listening, Todd?)

I am trying to phase out half dollars entirely for close-up work as they are simply too small for my hands. David Roth once told me to use the biggest coins possible, because the biggest problem in coin magic is visibility.

For the Miser's Dream, I begin on stage with Neilsen palming coins, then switch to half dollars for working among the audience. It's important people see that I'm catching real money.

In my Victorian act, I use pre-1900 Morgans and reproduction silver Maria Theresa Austrian thaler coins, which are beautiful and huge.

The new "Chinese" coins from George Schindler, which come in a variety of colors, are exactly the same diameter as the old 1960s vintage Canadian silver dollars. I use a pair for the "Nabil Change" from the "Cultural Xchange" DVD.
Sirakor
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Sirakor
Currently half dollars, I do both Walking Liberties and 64 Kennedys. I want to switch to Dollar size coins though, because they are easier to see and it looks more impressive, however at the moment palming more than one is a bit of a pain. Practice, practice... if Dollar size turns out to be too big I might be looking for a non-US silver coin that's in between the two sizes, I think 35mm diameter would suit my hands perfectly, but then I won't be able to get any gaffs besides custom ones...
cloneman
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of cloneman
Ike dollars.
"Anything is possible... if you don't know what you are talking about."
trenchant
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of trenchant
Remilled, fairly soft Franklin Halves. For sentimental reasons. Seems almost noone uses them, so you have to have any gaffs custom made.
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
The one that does exactly what I want it to do. Usually a walking lib half... but morgans have been known to follow instructions fairly well too Smile

Since getting my Lassen U3F set, morgans are more and more a part of the act.

Deerbourne - I like the 67 Kennedy halves over the 64's as well. Something about the 40% silver vs. 90% that makes the coins sound better to me. But when I want them to be quiet, it's walking libs all the way.

Best,

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
Metalepsis
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of Metalepsis
£2. Great size and weight.

M
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Having learned from Slydini, using Silver Dollar size (I like the look of Morgans) is like using poker size cards vs. bridge size. Better weight, visibility and feel.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
64 halves. I have "woman" hands, so the smaller coins help me out. I also like the Walking Liberties.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
waveman
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of waveman
"woman" hands! that's a riot.
I'm still laughing.

I've been working with morgans for a bit now, does any one else find that going back to halfs, they feel tiny?

It takes me a couple days to adjust from one size to another.