The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Nothing up my sleeve... :: How long did it take you to practice the muscle pass? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Four Jokers Magician
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Four Jokers Magician
How long did it take you to practice the muscle pass? What do you use it for? I muscle pass my ring during my routine that features Garrett Thomas' "the ring thing". Its such an eye catcher huh, what are your coments and techniques?
Rindfleisch
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
502 Posts

Profile of Rindfleisch
Two days then I had to stop because I popped the blood blister. no joke, when the blister dried up I had a callous that was ready to propell coins through the roof.
check me out on facebook #MAGICTOTD
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
I remember having my mentor explain the concept of the MP to me for use with a topit (though I use it for coins that fall up). The best I can recall, it also only took me a few days, however, of constant practice and a sore hand. I also find that I have to make myself do a MP now and again, when not using it on a regular basis, as to retain the skill.
cloneman
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of cloneman
What is the best size coin to use? I have big hands, so I think half-dollars are to small. I've been practicing, but can only get an Ike dollar to flop over.
"Anything is possible... if you don't know what you are talking about."
RxGregory
View Profile
New user
St. Charles, MO
65 Posts

Profile of RxGregory
I've been trying to do it for a while now, and all I get is sore palms. My hands are bigger than normal, and I usually do sleights with Morgans. Morgans are pretty heavy, yet when I try to MP my W.Libertys, all I get are cramps. Any suggestions? I might try doing it with a poker chip, since it's a little lighter, but does the weight make much of a difference?
If it was easy, everybody would do it, and if everybody did it, it wouldn't be magic.
David Roth (Ultimate Coin Magic Vol. 11)
cloneman
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of cloneman
Any thoughts on good references or videos which teach the sleight (I’ve been to the internet sites which feature step by step instruction, but I think at this point, a how to video would be the best help for me)?If there isn’t one out there, that’s a money making opportunity just ready to be grabbed.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
I just put up a video right after the picture tutorial of the muscle pass in the foundations section of my website.

In the video I attempt to teach where I put a silver dollar, and what it looks like when I muscle pass it. At the end of the video I press the coin very lightly so you can see how the coin leaves my hand, without the coin flying completely away.
Click to visit:
Richard Lucas
View Profile
Special user
TX fornow- MemberMagicCastle'65-'88
737 Posts

Profile of Richard Lucas
What effect does the MP accomplish?
"The only difference between a Card Cheat and a Magician is that the Magician shows off.".......... Jay Ose 1965

Dicklucas
cloneman
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of cloneman
Richard -

Perhaps the best known use is "The Coin that Falls Up"

Thanks Dan - I actually got the coin to pop up about 3 inches after watching your video. Not much, but a personal best. I was making the mistake of holding the coin in classic palm. Moving it higher up did the trick.
RxGregory
View Profile
New user
St. Charles, MO
65 Posts

Profile of RxGregory
Dan - you're the master. Thanks for replying so fast! I freaked out when I saw my Morgan pop up out of my hand. Just like Cloneman, I moved the coin up and closer to my index and middle finger, and it worked the first time. Man, how I wish you had posted that earlier. I just couldn't get the position from your pictures. Congrats, Cloneman!! I'm now off to get calluses in the RIGHT places.
If it was easy, everybody would do it, and if everybody did it, it wouldn't be magic.
David Roth (Ultimate Coin Magic Vol. 11)
IanKendall
View Profile
Special user
Edinburgh
571 Posts

Profile of IanKendall
I put in about four hours a day for the first three months, but I didn't show anyone until I had twelve inches of vertical travel. Also, don't forget to practice with your hand on a table - that way you won't learn any bad habits like moving your lower hand.

Take care, Ian
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Quote:
On 2004-06-03 00:20, cloneman wrote:
Moving it higher up did the trick.

Yea - the pictures I show it with a half dollar. For me, I lower the half dollar since it is a smaller coin - lower gets me a better pop.

The bigger coin I need to move higher to get more flesh around it.

Glad the video was helpful.
Click to visit:
Chris Thibault
View Profile
Elite user
Massachusetts
469 Posts

Profile of Chris Thibault
It took me about two months of constant practice before I felt comfortable with it.
-Chris
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
It took me a week, and I do it with morgans.

It just depends on the person. Shoot Ogawa took a couple months, he taught one kid and it took him an hour.

Just depends. Dan's site does help though.
Dark
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Dark
I think its just luck really. It took me a few hours to learn on each hand, but I know people that have taken years...
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27306 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
22+ years and ... not good at it. Go figure.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8815 Posts

Profile of harris
I have been playing with it for 27 years and counting.

Over the years, I have found this interesting move easier to teach in person. Doing it sideways is a lot easier. If you even get the coin to flick a bit you are on your way.

As they say if it is easy, everyone would be doing it.

These day I have been trying it vertically with 3 liberty half dollars. It scares little children and dogs. Lay people don't see the difference between doing it with one coin. (Same is true with M.P. a nickle)

The wonderful coin guy, who does it "Gods Way" (J.B) made me chuckle at the last IBM Convention in Kansas City. After he saw me playing with it, he said he was doing it with an aspirin.

Enjoy the journey.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
MrCyNic
View Profile
Loyal user
England
238 Posts

Profile of MrCyNic
Left hand: 8"-10" pop - 1 hour's practice.

Right hand: 2"-4" pop - four years and counting.

My left hand got it pretty much straight away, but it's been a struggle to even get where I am with my right. I keep working on it, but so far all I've proven is that I'm more stubborn than I am clumsy.

Cheers,

Cy.
Richard Lucas
View Profile
Special user
TX fornow- MemberMagicCastle'65-'88
737 Posts

Profile of Richard Lucas
Is there a demo video somewhere, or does learning this require that I buy an instructional video?
"The only difference between a Card Cheat and a Magician is that the Magician shows off.".......... Jay Ose 1965

Dicklucas
Justin Hart
View Profile
Loyal user
Warsaw, VA
221 Posts

Profile of Justin Hart