The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Nothing up my sleeve... :: Birthday Idea (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Jay
View Profile
Elite user
Northern New Jersey
409 Posts

Profile of Jay
Hello! I was just reading through the Art of Astonishment Volume 2 and thought of a cool idea. Using 'Counterfeit Spectator' on page 13, you can write in any message that you want to, to celebrate birthdays, or any occasion. I just made one up for my buddy's birthday. He'll get a kick out of it.

The effect is: You borrow a dollar bill from the person you are celebrating, and fold it into quarters. When you hand it back to them, it no longer has the Secretary of the Treasury's signature at the bottom, but rather your customizable message! Good fun!

Jay.
CharlieC
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of CharlieC
That's a good idea, I never really had any success with the original presentation of Counterfeit Spectator so I gave up on it. This is a good way to leave them with something to remember the event by. Smile
"Whenever he gets in a fix he reaches into his bag of tricks.
Felix the cat, the wonderful, wonderful cat..."
Tyrdius
View Profile
New user
Edinburgh, UK
9 Posts

Profile of Tyrdius
Could you say what the problems were? Was it with the sleight to change the bills or did it just not have the "impact" you were looking for?

I'm just reading this effect now and rather like the look of it.
Jay
View Profile
Elite user
Northern New Jersey
409 Posts

Profile of Jay
The book says that the handling should feel easy, and if not then you're doing it wrong. I find the sleight to change the bills a little awkward, but as long as you keep your left hand with the palm facing you, not flat, it works a lot better. I just did it for my buddy as mentioned above, and he loved it. The best thing is, you're not out any money because you borrow the initial dollar from the spectator! Smile

Jay.