The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Nothing up my sleeve... :: Appreciation for Ben Salinas's "Modern Coin Magic" DVD set (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
ljsviol
View Profile
Veteran user
345 Posts

Profile of ljsviol
I hope it isn't too out of place to say a public "Thank you" to Ben Salinas for his work on his "Modern Coin Magic" DVD set, where he goes through Bobo's classic book on video, with demos of the effects and sleights. I know he frequents these forums, so I hope he enjoys a compliment. -)

I've just finished my first 'go-through' of the set; it's taken me a couple of months, as I like to go along and be sure I'm comfortable with something before going too far onwards. Ben's demos make it very easy to understand what's being done and how to do it, and his pleasant personality comes through on the videos as well.

It's helpful for me, as a beginner in coin magic, to be able to watch not just the sleights demonstrated, but the 'way' of handling coins - where they may end up at the end of movement, the subtle adjustments you may have to make for your hand vs. the coins you're using, etc. Short of having my own teacher, it's a good way for me to observe - and the DVD is very patient about doing things again and again (rewinding), and slooooowwing doowwwnnn when requested. -)

I've been recommending the set to folks, both at Magic-Con a week ago, and in conversations. It's great how many good resources there are nowadays for learning!

Regards,
Larry S.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
I concur to this expression of gratitude: Ben Salinas' work, which was doomed to be criticized, fills a visual vacuum in a very dignified manner.

I wish that I could have had this in my younger age. Thus on behalf of the younger magicians and coming generations: I wish to thank you, Ben.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9542 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Lj, yes it's a great set of DVDs at a great price from a wonderful magician and great guy. I'm glad years back now someone heard my call here for something like this and made it a reality. If you can believe It, there was a big debate if this sort of DVD and or a website containing such videos was even necessary. Can you believe that? I remember quite a few big shots here saying there was no real need for Bobos to be made visual. That's when I knew that there was also a bit of malarchy going on beneath all the magic.

Glad you found this most worthwhile work, may it become a magical part of you like the famous book. Welcome to the Café my friend. Smile I'm sure Ben is most appreciative of your kind words, I know I am here. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
BarryTX
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of BarryTX
As another novice, I have found Ben's Modern Coin Magic DVD set to be a great resource. I picked up the Bobo book first and began the process of learning from the pages therein, but the DVD set adds tremendous clarity and assistance for me. They are a natural to go together in my mind. I wasn't around to hear the debate referenced, but I can only imagine it being based on the Bobo book being a 'sacred' classic. Ben's work is great and, in my very humble view, he honors Bobo very well in his presentation on the DVD. I am very glad and appreciative that it is there to help me learn a few nuggets of this classic work - Ben, I add my thanks to you as well.

Barry
mballen11502
View Profile
Loyal user
Memphis, TN
202 Posts

Profile of mballen11502
Yes, I think the DVDs are a perfect match to the original text...had this been possible when it was written, I'm sure it would have been done then!
BenSalinas
View Profile
Special user
Coinoscenti
747 Posts

Profile of BenSalinas
Wow, I am completely humbled by your comments. Thank you all so much! It means a lot to me that I could do something that so many people are getting use from. Any success my DVDs enjoy is because of wonderful people like you. Thank you all again. You really made my night.

Ben Salinas
Your Friendly Neighborhood Coin Flinger

www.SalinasMagic.com

The Modern Coin Magic blog
www.ModernCoinMagic.com
feher
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1421 Posts

Profile of feher
No doubt in my mind that these DVDs are a huge benefit to the magic community. A BIG Thank You goes out to Ben for taking on this project and always willing to give a helping hand when people need it.
Thank You !
Tim
Mean people SUCK!!!!!!!
PAUL K
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
547 Posts

Profile of PAUL K
Ljsviol,Welcome to the Caf'e.

The DVDs are GREAT!!!I recommend them to anyone getting started in coin magic.

Ben, I like your new coin magic website.

Paul
Radmak
View Profile
Loyal user
Aberdeen, UK
272 Posts

Profile of Radmak
Well what can I say... They are superb! And big ups for Ben for spending so much time on that - 16 chapters! Smile
UK Close-up and cabaret magician based in Scotland - www.radekmakar.co.uk
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Hi
One more thing about Ben. I had a question about his "Slow Motion Coin Vanish" and he offered to help me out with it in a p.m. Very generous and sincere Man.
hth
Ralph
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2011-04-06 00:19, BenSalinas wrote:
Wow, I am completely humbled by your comments. Thank you all so much! It means a lot to me that I could do something that so many people are getting use from. Any success my DVDs enjoy is because of wonderful people like you. Thank you all again. You really made my night.

Ben Salinas

Even if our sincere comments made your night, next time pick a girl or look at your wife in an unusual way...
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Hare
View Profile
Veteran user
323 Posts

Profile of Hare
As a young man, I was frankly appalled at the lack of clarity and the general mayhem found between the covers of Bobo's big book. All of my magic catalogues I perused as a kid called it "a classic", the "Coin Bible", and used other similar glowing descriptions touting it's glories- but I always thought it simply was the biggest pile of collected coin stuff between two covers, and not much else.

For this reason, Ben Salinas DVD's are invaluable betond words. If you have them to accompany Bobo's abstruse classc, suddenly much that was masked in a veil of impossible to visualize language and general over-abstraction causes you to smack yourself in the head with repeated Eureka! moments.

"So, THAT'S what Bobo was talking about!"

The DVD lifts Bobo up to the equal of his contemporary coin cartwheel-teacher, the illustrious Henry Hay, (Burrows Mussey), in my opinion.

Salina's adds so very much good stuff, that it's darn near pointless to buy Bobo without the DVD.

I've always learned better from books than through DVD'S, but this is one instance where the DVD is indespensible.

Hare
"Better described in The Amateur Magician's Handbook"
mysto59
View Profile
Loyal user
Bethalto, Illinois
264 Posts

Profile of mysto59
I have Ben's "Modern Coin Magic" DVD set and Bobo's book. Hare is right on the money with "So, THAT'S what Bobo was talking about!" One of the better purchases I've made for learning coin magic. Thanks Ben!!!
It's not the size of the wand that matters, it's the "magic" in it...
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
After taking many years off from learning coin magic, Ben's DVDs reminded me of so much that I had learned 30 years ago, and couldn't remember the names of. He also explained many things I hadn't studied.
Ben has made a great contribution to the coin magic community with his "Modern Coin Magic" set.

Cheers!
Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
Loopback
View Profile
Veteran user
Lincoln, Nebraska
359 Posts

Profile of Loopback
The Modern Coin Magic DVD set was one of my first big purchases in magic. Thanks Ben for putting together an excellent video companion to JB Bobo's book
BenSalinas
View Profile
Special user
Coinoscenti
747 Posts

Profile of BenSalinas
Thank you all again for all the wonderful comments! I think I need to invite you all over for some Texas barbecue!

www.SalinasMagic.com

www.ModernCoinMagic.com
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Thanks Ben...Just ordered the DVD's from your site !
Don't drip no BBQ sauce on my package ! lol

-G
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
BenSalinas
View Profile
Special user
Coinoscenti
747 Posts

Profile of BenSalinas
Thanks for the support, G! It's signed and in the mail!

www.SalinasMagic.com

www.ModernCoinMagic.com
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
That was fast !!!...and.signed too !

Thanks,

-G
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
ljsviol
View Profile
Veteran user
345 Posts

Profile of ljsviol
Ben,
Just a quick question for you - it seems, in some of your demos, you use a coin with a gold finish/patina. Do you happen to recall what type of coin this is? I'm always curious about coins. -)

Thanks!

Larry S.