The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Nothing up my sleeve... :: Scotch & soda (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
I know everyone has at least one of these(it was the first trick I bought when I started doing magic).But man, it gets the most awesome reaction!

I was doing some card stuff & mentalism for a girl tonight,that freaked her out.When I did the scotch & soda for her, that was it. She couldn't handle seeing anything else & I had to stop.

The scotch & soda is a very powerful effect Smile
Wallace
View Profile
Loyal user
Bangor, Northern Ireland
208 Posts

Profile of Wallace
George Robinson of Viking carries a beautiful version which features a Chinese Imperial Dragon coin in brass, lovely item! Smile
Wallace B
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
I have to agree with Ichazod on the S&S. It never fails me. Just curious what kind of routine do you do with the S&S?

Smile
Bernard Sim
Steve Landavazo
View Profile
Special user
Northern California
654 Posts

Profile of Steve Landavazo
Hi Bernard!

You can get a good video on S and S from L and L Publishing...

After reading a few reviews I understand it's a pretty good video!

Steve Landavazo Smile
Courage is the willingness to be afraid and act anyway!
CardTrix
View Profile
New user
Springfield, IL
52 Posts

Profile of CardTrix
I don’t have scotch and soda, but Vodka and OJ..and agree, this effect is totally incredible...people actually jump out of their seat!!

I just have a couple questions though, Do you let the spectators examine the coins when done? I can’t let mine be examined because the coin spins inside of the shell...has anybody else had this problem?

it’s all in the reflexes
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
The S&S don’t have such problems as they are locked. I always hand them out for inspection but will have to be careful on the sound it makes if it hits another coin. Never seen a Vodka & OJ before.
Bernard Sim
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
I usually set it up so that the copper coin ends up in someones pocket, a locked cabinet,or some other impossible location.

I will also use a chinese coin sometimes instead of a quarter to really mess with them. Smile
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3784 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
You the man Ichazod! Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Abacus
View Profile
New user
Australia
44 Posts

Profile of Abacus
I like S & S too, though I've only fooled around with it a bit because it uses two non-australian coins and thus is "fishy".

A few ideas for S & S I got from watching a demo video here:

[expired link]

Good site Smile

Ben
Tom Wolf
View Profile
Special user
Harrison, Ohio
580 Posts

Profile of Tom Wolf
Brother Magi,

Please let me share a true story with you all.

While working at a supper club in Mexico City, a couple asked to see me.

One of the items that I did was S&S. I had the lady hold the coins under the table and hand me the American half dollar. I then asked her what she had left in her hand.

Of course she said an english penny. When she saw the quarter she screamed.

I was tipped a twenty dollar bill.

They came back 8 more times and each time she asked to see the same routine and each time I was tipped twenty dollars!!..

It paid for itself many times over.

You never know what turns people on until you try different items of magic.

Mago Smile Smile

Doing magic, not tricks
The magic director and performer at the Rincon Gaucho supper club in Mexico City,

We opened the first and only close-up room for magic in Mexico with Wolf Ruvinskis.
have several new coin vanishes and routines to share shortly just as soon as I can find someone to film them for me.

Now living in Harrison, Ohio
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
I’ve got a Vodka and OJ that I always hand out. I wish I could remember who made it but it fits together snug as a bug. For those of you who aren’t familiar it is the new American Gold Dollar (wasn’t about to try to spell Sacajawea) and an American Quarter.
Yakworld.
MikDB
View Profile
New user
UK but now Seattle USA
7 Posts

Profile of MikDB
I have to admit S&S is cool, I had the US coin and Mexican Centavo variety, I also had Johnson’s Ultimate Copper & Silver and used the US coin and Old English Penny the same way, great reactions.

The 25 Tricks with S&S is a good video to get.

Have a magical day

Mik :¬)
SimonSpiff
View Profile
New user
Alaska
11 Posts

Profile of SimonSpiff
Scotch and Soda had never failed me either. Its a good trick I keep on me almost all of the time.

Might I recommend the "Scotch and Soda" book by Julie Detmer. It has some bonus sleights as well 55 S & S Tricks. Also, a look at "Breakout" an addition to S & S.

L8R

Smile
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I highly recommend Peter Marucci’s ungaffed S&S routine. It is easy, extremely well constructed, entertaining and MUCH more cost-efficient! Ask him about it!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
One of the main reasons that I came up with the No-gimmick Scotch and Soda was that, in table hopping, the reset of the locking set was too time-consuming.

My routine uses regular coins, no gimmicks and no more "sleight of hand" than the locking routine.

If anyone is interested, e-mail me and I’ll send you the routine and handling.

(It appeared in my Showtime column in the Linking Ring magazine in June of 1998).

cheers,

Peter Marucci
Reed McClintock
View Profile
V.I.P.
772 Posts

Profile of Reed McClintock
For those of you who are interested, I just put out Scotch and Soda for real.

It uses a non-locking s&s, it is a three phase routine with a crushing climax. For the table hoppers this is a routine I think many of you will like to play with, even change it up to fit your style a bit. Smile
"Stuff is anything, but magic is everything"

Reed McClintock 2003

Merlyn of 8
View Profile
Regular user
Massachusetts U.S.A.
147 Posts

Profile of Merlyn of 8
Scotch is the first coin effect that I learned! I modified it with another coin, a Canadian (I think two dollar, silver with a gold center) my S&S is a US half & Mexican Centavo.

It ends up I have the centavo and the other person is holding the half and the (as of not yet introduced) Canadian coin.

Works well and blows them away! Smile

Cheers,

Thomas Cleveland
Cheers,

Thomas Cleveland

"Life is a jurney,enjoy the jurney"
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks