The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Nothing up my sleeve... :: Fake coins??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
Has anyone come across fake coins? Recently, I bought 5 Seated Liberty $1 coins from a roadside peddler which cost me only $8. I’ve never seen a real seated liberty before and thought I had a good deal! I showed it to a coin collector and was told the coins actually came from China! The sound of the coins are funny and the weight is also very light. Anyway, I’d consider the coins as soft coins as they don’t make noise when sliding against each other. Smile
Bernard Sim
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3783 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Counterfeiting is very common in the world of rare coins, autographs, and antiques.

In fact, there are some collectors who specialize in collecting these bogas items.

It also happens in the world of magic, there are greedy dishonest people no matter where you travel..."Buyer beware". Smile

Life is not a problem to be solved...

but a mystery to be lived.
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Wallace
View Profile
Loyal user
Bangor, Northern Ireland
208 Posts

Profile of Wallace
About three years ago I was lucky enough to get hold of four excellent reproduction Peace Dollars and a shell.

Living in Northern Ireland everyone assumes that they are genuine so I think I saved quite a few pounds considering the cost of four real silver Peace coins, never mind the shell!! Smile
Wallace B
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4691 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
I believe the peace dollars and shell you are referring to came from Italy...at least, the ones I have did (I got them early 80's). Mine are all dated 1923, and were nice initially, but they were cheaply plated and the silver came off. - Michael Rubinstein
Special sale! FREE magician T shirt (a $25 value, only L or XL - see link) while supplies last with each purchase of MIGRATE ($35 ppd USA) Magnetic Coins ($40 ppd USA) or Conviction Prediction ($45 ppd
https://youtube.com/shorts/GbIwPoZ8qy4?si=eqxR6X6XGynLf3ET
inquire for ordering information here or to rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Wallace
View Profile
Loyal user
Bangor, Northern Ireland
208 Posts

Profile of Wallace
I must be lucky as the plating on my set has remained in quite fair condition, subject to a little Kleeneze Metal Polish from time to time. Smile
Wallace B
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
Hey are you the Micheal Rubinstein the coin video guy or is that just a coincidence?
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4691 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Yes, its me (just with less hair!)
Special sale! FREE magician T shirt (a $25 value, only L or XL - see link) while supplies last with each purchase of MIGRATE ($35 ppd USA) Magnetic Coins ($40 ppd USA) or Conviction Prediction ($45 ppd
https://youtube.com/shorts/GbIwPoZ8qy4?si=eqxR6X6XGynLf3ET
inquire for ordering information here or to rubinsteindvm@aol.com