The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Nothing up my sleeve... :: To Shine or Not To Shine (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
2001 Posts

Profile of iamslow
Quote:
Thanks Lawrence O. I'm actually going to walk around with these in my pocket for a while to let them kind of roughen each other up. That should give them the dings and marks that normal coins have. Then I will switch to the nail files. Thanks for the tip.

You can also try throwing your coins in a sock and tie a knot at the end and throw it in the wash when you do laundry... it might speed up the process a tiny bit... hope this helps.
"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
Quote:
On 2009-12-23 00:41, J-Mac wrote:
Biggest problem with all this right now is.... getting your hands on some Morgans in any condition! I have a grand total of three - all from Ebay - and one I am 99% certain is a fake; doesn't feel like the same weight and it just sounds too far off. And that was from a "Top Rated" seller with several thousand feedbacks at 100%.

But I digress: my point is that it's tough presently to get Morgans, and if you do find them it costs anywhere from $25 to $40 or $50 USD, and that is for UNC. non-rated coins, almost "junk" silver condition.

So for now I am sticking with Eisenhowers for dollars, and Walkers for my halves. With only two real and one apparent fake Morgans there aren't many effects worth pulling these out and shining up to do!

Jim

I've not found this to be the case. I've found many Morgans to be less than $25 a piece on eBay. In fact, goldeneaglecoins.com is a great place to look, as they have many in different conditions and prices. I highly suggest checking that out. You just need to find the right years (the cheaper ones). Hope this helps.

Quote:
On 2009-12-23 00:49, iamslow wrote:
YOu can also try throwing your coins in a sock and tie a knot at the end and throw it in the wash when you do laundry... it might speed up the process a tiny bit.. hope this helps..

Quite an idea. I think I may try that. My only concern would be roughing them up TOO much, but still a great idea. Thanks for that. I will be sure to post my results and what I ended up doing.
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
2001 Posts

Profile of iamslow
You would have to do a LOT of loads to make it too rough... remember, its coins we're talking about here..
"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
Quote:
On 2009-12-23 01:52, iamslow wrote:
You would have to do a LOT of loads to make it too rough... remember, its coins we're talking about here..

It's also silver, which is easily dented and marked. You drop that coin on the cement, you make a permanent mark.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
If you use a nail file after bleaching them, you'll make them look old enough and your filing cannot be even, no matter how hard you'd try. Thus I don't think that the pocket aging or sock aging process is necessary. If you really want, you could give just one or two passing of the rougher side of a finger nail file, pressing hard. It will leave traces that you will have a hard time making them disappear even with the polishing process that I suggested. Now when using them for practice, our coins gain these dents anyways whether we like it or not.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
Quote:
On 2009-12-23 13:35, Lawrence O wrote:
If you use a nail file after bleaching them, you'll make them look old enough and your filing cannot be even, no matter how hard you'd try. Thus I don't think that the pocket aging or sock aging process is necessary. If you really want, you could give just one or two passing of the rougher side of a finger nail file, pressing hard. It will leave traces that you will have a hard time making them disappear even with the polishing process that I suggested. Now when using them for practice, our coins gain these dents anyways whether we like it or not.

Yes, and I agree for the most part. There really is no way, besides purchasing actual soft coins, to completely replicate soft coins. One of the things soft coins have are those deep dents and scratches on the face of the coin that I was hoping to replicate. A nail file wouldn't really do that. Then again, you're right... it may not be necessary in the first place. Thanks. Smile

Posted: Dec 25, 2009 1:18pm
-------------------------------
I finally received my set. I won't need to run them through the wash or anything. I won't even need to use sand paper. They're already pretty nice. I will be taking a 4-side nail buffer/file to them though to clean them up and soften them a bit more though. Otherwise, they are great coins and I'm extremely pleased. I'll show you guys before and after pictures later on. Smile
BaoHoang
View Profile
Regular user
Montreal, Canada
140 Posts

Profile of BaoHoang
Quote:
On 2009-05-20 18:22, magicalaurie wrote:
Here's a closer look.
You can see the camera lens reflected in the centre of the coin, best I can do right now. Smile

Whoa :O I remember a man from the army that came to my school gave it to me with a big aluminum case when I was in first grade at the last day of school but somebody stole it from me Smile After that I was crying when I opened up the empty case Smile

Hehe thanks for sharing the pic Smile
Montreal Magician Bao
www.baomagic.com
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3434 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Getting back to the OP question...for all the Rothian wannabes, David likes shiny coins.
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Flyswatter
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of Flyswatter
I'm too afraid to do anything to my Morgans, don't want to decrease their values. Smile And besides, I only have 3 at the moment, can't do anything with that.
AdamB
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of AdamB
Quote:
On 2009-05-19 13:05, LF wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-05-19 12:01, lithyem wrote:
@Lawrence O - I saved them for web in photoshop then used http://www.imageshack.us to create the thumbnails.

First I washed them with dish soap to get all oils and grease off of the coins.

What a beauty.These are the best looking coins I have ever seen,they are really are pleasure to look at.

Thanks so much for tipping the way you get them that way.

LF.

Agreed! Thank you so much.

My one piece to add to this discussion is that Bobo mentions shinier coins probably being better for retention vanishes.
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Well, it's official, I will be the only that like my coins polished to mirror finish.
Thank gosh and lucky to have several coin shops where I live that stock real morgans, walking libs (dollar and half dollar), 64 Kennedys, Benjamins, Silver Eagles, Peace dollar, and barbers.
feher
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1421 Posts

Profile of feher
Quote:
On 2010-02-08 21:47, rklew64 wrote:
Well, it's official, I will be the only that like my coins polished to mirror finish.
Thank gosh and lucky to have several coin shops where I live that stock real morgans, walking libs (dollar and half dollar), 64 Kennedys, Benjamins, Silver Eagles, Peace dollar, and barbers.

I'm all about the shine myself. I like my copper coins shinny too.
Tim
Mean people SUCK!!!!!!!
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
I personally like a very aged coin. Most aged coins or toned coins will still have a nice shine, even though it has some color in them because of your hands. I used an uncirculated Morgan shell set today. I liked it but it felt fake because how new it looked. It didn't feel like a real coin. I feel most people are more willing to look at an aged coin up close. From further away, it wouldn't matter if you were using a silver washer.
BaoHoang
View Profile
Regular user
Montreal, Canada
140 Posts

Profile of BaoHoang
I'm thinking about tarnishing my morgans with bleach too but I'm scared that it might turn green like my kennedy half dollars (not 1964 halves) . Can I use regular bleach with the morgans or Clorox Cleanup is better?
Montreal Magician Bao
www.baomagic.com
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
I know it's been a while and that these pictures are not of great quality... but here's how my Morgans turned out. I mostly followed what Lithyem and Lawrence O said to do... but was careful and did a few things different. I tried one coin and then did the rest. I am writing up a how-to for The Magician's Coin.

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/6077/photo2f.jpg
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/2527/photohx.jpg

EDIT:
BaoHoang, as long as it's silver and you're using normal, everyday bleach ($.99 cents for a pint at your local grocery store), they will not turn green. Copper will turn green and other funky colors, but if it's a silver it will turn black. Don't use a metal continer either. Use a disposable tupperware container or plate/bowl to do it in. Feel free to PM me with your questions.
Flyswatter
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of Flyswatter
Is it possible to have clad kennedys to have a shinny look like '64?
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
From a magicians standpoint - I really like the contrast finish. Very Nice work and thanks for sharing that tip!
from a numismatist standpoint - what the heck, that's crazy because in reality there are Morgans that are close to proof grade.
Unfortunately it is more expensive for me since I collect and am a coin magic enthusiast. So stupid me, I am compelled to get shells for a 64 Kennedy, Walking Liberty Dollar, Morgan, Franklin and Peace- Thanks Roy Kuepper! Perfect fit while still retaining significant relief of the coin's observe.
and walking liberty half dollar - Thanks Kozmo!
Ike shells - thanks Johnson! Those are plentiful so it's okay to sand them down to blanks.
Do not know about shiny factor for clads but I do know they do not carry the tone of a sliver.
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
Quote:
On 2010-02-21 13:44, Flyswatter wrote:
Is it possible to have clad kennedys to have a shinny look like '64?

Not really, no.

Quote:
On 2010-02-21 14:39, rklew64 wrote:
From a magicians standpoint - I really like the contrast finish. Very Nice work and thanks for sharing that tip!
from a numismatist standpoint - what the heck, that's crazy because in reality there are Morgans that are close to proof grade.
Unfortunately it is more expensive for me since I collect and am a coin magic enthusiast. So stupid me, I am compelled to get shells for a 64 Kennedy, Walking Liberty Dollar, Morgan, Franklin and Peace- Thanks Roy Kuepper! Perfect fit while still retaining significant relief of the coin's observe.
and walking liberty half dollar - Thanks Kozmo!
Ike shells - thanks Johnson! Those are plentiful so it's okay to sand them down to blanks.
Do not know about shiny factor for clads but I do know they do not carry the tone of a sliver.

Yup! The shiny factor on the coins linked will go away. I actually don't want them shiny. I do like the contrast a lot. From a collector's standpoint, I've taken the value from the coins. I don't care though. It's magic!

Those coins up there I actually sent into Roy to do make a copper silver and a shell. Hope they turn out well, he's incredibly nice.
magicnorm
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of magicnorm
This info in this thread is great for silver coin. Does anyone have info on how to age engilsh pennies. I want that deep brown look that I've seen on various CSB sets sold by a couple of sellers. I have not found an effective way and would love to here if someone has. Thanks

norm
Hare
View Profile
Veteran user
323 Posts

Profile of Hare
Lithyem's coins are really beautiful. I can see where they suit his sort of presentation...very appealing.

I prefer a more "natural" looking aged coin for my own use, and shop carefully for coins that have some decent contrast, that naturally match, that are soft but still have enough details to suit me personally. I can edge palm these suckers and produce them silently one at a time.

It takes a ton of careful picking from many coins, but I have a whole bunch of Morgans now that look exactly alike. These four also have matching dates.

They arent as flashy as Lithyem's, but then...I'm not as flashy as he is either!

It's really fun tracking down matching coins, almost a hobby within a hobby!

URL=http://img42.imageshack.us/i/89morgan.jpg/]
[/URL]
"Better described in The Amateur Magician's Handbook"