The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Nothing up my sleeve... :: Shadow coins revisited (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
I've been experimenting with some 1" ballbearings on a soft surface. Because of their height it automaticly lifts your hands from the surface. Looks very clean...It allows the fingers to stay in motion (like pianoplaying) which adds to the effect.
Cleaning up the final ball needs some thinking;-)
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4325 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Shadow coins, while an excellent trick, can of course only be peformed on the floor with the spectators looking down whereas Roth's Chink-A Chink coin routine as peformed on his Expert Coin Magic DVD is more verstile in that it can be done on a table top and does not need any "gimmicks."

Mr. Dean Dill's "Call Shot" as well as his "Call Shot Instant," "Isolation," "The Dinner Napkin part 1 and 2," and his other matrix effects as performed on Mr. Dean's DVDs set are all excellent and should be viewed and performed by anyone seriously interested in doing simple and direct and amazing coin magic.
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
Hey guys. I take lessons from Dean Dill. He is great. Before meeting Dean, I always performed Ammar's Shadow Coins, which, by the way, is great. The only problem with Ammar's Shadow Coins is the ending; I think it's not very clean, and kinda sloppy. Dean has a very clean ending and looks amazing. If you live in LA, and want to meet Dean, and see some of his stuff, go to his shop. All his location info is on his web site, http://www.deandill.com. Ok then. I hope I helped you guys, bye.
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4325 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Magicmaven,

How are Dean's haircuts?
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
They're okay, my dad got one, but I just go to his shop for the magic...
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Quote:
On 2004-07-13 10:45, magicinsight wrote:
Shadow coins, while an excellent trick, can of course only be peformed on the floor

What makes you think that?

Ammar moved the effect down to the floor so he could create the illusion that the hands were inches above the coins (which is difficult when working on a table top).

Ammar's routine works just fine on a table but doesn't benefit from the height illusion.
luismagic
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of luismagic
Ammar’s Shadow Coins could easily be done on a table and get the benefit of the illusion of height.
I perform it regulaly and as I deposit the coin I lift my hand which creates the illusion. I use dollar coin and the reaction I get is “your hands never touched the table.”
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Other than the ] how is doing 'Shadow Coins" on the table different than Roth's "Original Chinese Assembly"?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27306 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Was nice of Mike Ammar to tour with the Roth coin trick. If you look in the notes/book, Ammar cites Roth.

A guy named Joe has a version of the barehanded coin assembly that you can do and keep your hands off the coins and carpet... it's spooky.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Roth's effect was already published long before Ammar was performing it as part of his lecture. I first saw Ammar perform the effect in the early 80's (82 or 83?). My first thought was I didn't know Roth's routine looked *that* good! I had not seen Roth perform his routine.

When I tried what I saw I realized you couldn't do what Ammar had done on the table without exposing the effect.

I'd like to see the guy Joe's routine. Sounds really magical.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27306 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Joe has not published his routine yet. It was something that he showed in NYC one afternoon.

It's a trick where the method will get you thinking. Smile

PS, Joe is on the Café. I'm probably gonna mess this up but here goes: Joe Rindfleisch ( sp? nobody likes to see their name mis-spelled sorry )
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Quote:
On 2004-07-15 18:24, bdekolta wrote:
When I tried what I saw I realized you couldn't do what Ammar had done on the table without exposing the effect.

I now regularly perform the trick on a table top without any exposure problems. Of course, the hands do not seem to be inches off the deck, but above the coins nonetheless.
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Quote:
I now regularly perform the trick on a table top without any exposure problems. Of course, the hands do not seem to be inches off the deck, but above the coins nonetheless.

Sounds like you reinvented Roth's trick only using the ].
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Quote:
On 2004-07-16 19:57, bdekolta wrote:
Quote:

Sounds like you reinvented Roth's trick only using the ].

Well... yeah. I sort of did I guess. But I still do the mysterious waves over the coins.