The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Wizard Magic Review :: This weeks show Signed, Spectre, Something Fom Nothing, Perfect Nail Bend (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Jaz2005
View Profile
Veteran user
I wish I had time to get more than
339 Posts

Profile of Jaz2005
Link to the new show - Click Here!

regards
Jim
MichaelGristMagic
View Profile
New user
Newcastle, UK
67 Posts

Profile of MichaelGristMagic
Fantastic show as usual. Just to mention, the 'newcastle' convention which was mentioned was actually in 'South tyneside' lol sorry to sound picky but being from newcastle forces me to say something hehe great reviews though Smile
Magic is propar class like hew! Smile

"Pick a card"
"why?"
"So I can find it"
"why?"
"Because I can..."
volto
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of volto
Fantastic show chaps.
"What's new on this DVD Craig?"
"Absolutely bl**dy nothing Dave."
That was a coffee spray moment.

I have a question, or suggestion about the nail bend. With the right kind of wood, could you hammer it into a block of (soft) wood and have the bend happen in the wood block, splitting it? Maybe have a volunteer waving their hands over it and concentrating. I was thinking this would be a more dramatic way to do the bend, since the whole table could see it happen. Also the volunteer gets to demonstrate a more 'powerful' PK effect - splitting a block of wood with the power of their mind. I guess it depends a lot on the properties of the wood and the gimmick, and where you're performing. Also if the block splits too energetically it might be dangerous. Hopefully it would slowly and visibly split with a spooky creaking sound.

On similar lines, could the nail be put into a bottle - and bent in the bottle, in full view of everyone - in such a way that you then couldn't get it out of the bottle without smashing it? Again, this proves that the nail was bent in the bottle, and the bend happens in full view, rather than being covered by an audience member's hand, or (worse) the magician's hand.

Interested to hear if you think it's possible with this gimmick. Just trying to think of ways to make the effect more dramatic.

I guess having the audience picking splinters of glass out of their hair is fairly dramatic... Smile

I should say - the idea is that in a banquet/dining situation pulling out a nail is already going to make people go 'Oooo', since it's a dangerous/incongruous object. The hammer and block of wood are along the same lines. You'd have everyone's attention. Kind of like the brick production at a luxurious restaurant or something.
Axel
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin
457 Posts

Profile of Axel
Hey Guys,

I really enjoy watching your show. I think your reviews are good and I personally like the fact that your opinions on stuff
differ sometimes. Thanks for your excellent work!

I would only wish for one thing:
If "half an hour ago" isn't enough time to really master an effect to a degree where the performer is able to do it without flashing the method then he probably shouldn't perform it.
I am sure that it's not your intention to give away any methods.
Still there have been a few performances on your show where the method got exposed by either bad camera-angles or because the performer maybe wasn't 100 % prepared.
I think it's your responsibility to make sure that if someone is able to reverse engineer a trick, then it's not because of your show.

As I said, I really enjoy your show but this was something I had on my mind for quite a while now.

Hope you don't mind me saying this.

All the best,

lexa
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
I do a transposition in the spectator's hands that's pure slight.
I generally do it as a half dollar vanish, quarter into spectators hands, quarter changes to the vanished half dollar.

The half dollar is fully examinable. (as is the quarter if it was examined before it vanished.)

Is signed really that much of an improvement to justify having to use gimmicks?
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2011-03-23 19:02, Cyberqat wrote:
I generally do it as a half dollar vanish, quarter into spectators hands, quarter changes to the vanished half dollar.

The half dollar is fully examinable. (as is the quarter if it was examined before it vanished.)

I imagine that all depends on what type of impact you wish to convey. A transposition is one thing, but is the half dollar signed and does the signature then transpose to the other coin as you perform it? I would assume it's all relative as to how far you wish to carry out the effect. Mind you, I don't have the effect and probably never will , but I'm simply posing the question for consideration. With that, you might be able to answer your own question. Smile
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter – "A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
NYCJoePitt
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of NYCJoePitt
Love the show! Can't wait to see how Farquar responds, lol.
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2435 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On 2011-03-23 12:37, volto wrote:
Fantastic show chaps.
"What's new on this DVD Craig?"
"Absolutely bl**dy nothing Dave."
That was a coffee spray moment.

I have a question, or suggestion about the nail bend. With the right kind of wood, could you hammer it into a block of (soft) wood and have the bend happen in the wood block, splitting it? Maybe have a volunteer waving their hands over it and concentrating. I was thinking this would be a more dramatic way to do the bend, since the whole table could see it happen. Also the volunteer gets to demonstrate a more 'powerful' PK effect - splitting a block of wood with the power of their mind. I guess it depends a lot on the properties of the wood and the gimmick, and where you're performing. Also if the block splits too energetically it might be dangerous. Hopefully it would slowly and visibly split with a spooky creaking sound.

On similar lines, could the nail be put into a bottle - and bent in the bottle, in full view of everyone - in such a way that you then couldn't get it out of the bottle without smashing it? Again, this proves that the nail was bent in the bottle, and the bend happens in full view, rather than being covered by an audience member's hand, or (worse) the magician's hand.

Interested to hear if you think it's possible with this gimmick. Just trying to think of ways to make the effect more dramatic.

I guess having the audience picking splinters of glass out of their hair is fairly dramatic... Smile

I should say - the idea is that in a banquet/dining situation pulling out a nail is already going to make people go 'Oooo', since it's a dangerous/incongruous object. The hammer and block of wood are along the same lines. You'd have everyone's attention. Kind of like the brick production at a luxurious restaurant or something.

Thanks for the comments!

I love the idea of putting the nail in a bottle. I can think of a couple of ways this could be done and it would look great IMO.

I haven't tried hammering the nail into a block of wood but I imagine it would work. Did t Sankey release an effect with a nail and a block of wood a while ago? And if so could both effects be combined?

Craig
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2435 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On 2011-03-23 19:02, Cyberqat wrote:

Good question. The nice thing about this routine is that the gimmick supplied makes the transposition and vanish sequence very clean indeed. I always think that signed a coin whenever possible enhances an effect especially when it is going to end up in an impossible location. I think the bottom line is that the effect is good but if you already have a transposition routine you like and use this is unlikely to replace that.

Craig.
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2435 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On 2011-03-23 16:54, Lexa wrote:
Hey Guys,

I really enjoy watching your show. I think your reviews are good and I personally like the fact that your opinions on stuff
differ sometimes. Thanks for your excellent work!

I would only wish for one thing:
If "half an hour ago" isn't enough time to really master an effect to a degree where the performer is able to do it without flashing the method then he probably shouldn't perform it.
I am sure that it's not your intention to give away any methods.
Still there have been a few performances on your show where the method got exposed by either bad camera-angles or because the performer maybe wasn't 100 % prepared.
I think it's your responsibility to make sure that if someone is able to reverse engineer a trick, then it's not because of your show.

As I said, I really enjoy your show but this was something I had on my mind for quite a while now.

Hope you don't mind me saying this.

All the best,

lexa

Thanks for the feedback. There have been many things we have wanted to perform but we didn't have enough time to learn the routine in order to perform it. On this weeks show we really wanted to show you guys the effect of Something From Nothing as it does not come with a DVD and therefore we had no footage to drop in. I don't think I did the effect justice - since filming the show my handling has improved drastically - but hopefully it showed how effective the trick can be.

I do agree with what you say though and thanks again for your feedback.

Craig.
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2435 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On 2011-03-24 00:39, NYCJoePitt wrote:
Love the show! Can't wait to see how Farquar responds, lol.

Me neither!

But like I said this is all on Dave - for once I'm not in the firing line!

I liked Matrix Xpress!!

Craig
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Another great show. I'd been a little sad for the last few shows cause you hadn't shown anything that looked worth getting but I should have been careful about what I wished for. After this weeks show I put in an order for Perfect Nail Bend and Something From Nothing. I've also got Signed on my wish list and will probably get it after a while. Keep up the good work guys!
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3784 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Keep up the great work guys. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Great show, guys! But I do have one question, is Spectre a Devil's Hank and a Glorpy/Haunted Hank? Or were you guys meaning Haunted Hank but were saying Devil's Hank? I was confused by that. Because I haven't seen a Devil's Hank/Haunted Hank before but I kept thinking it might make for a nice combo!
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
857 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
Quote:
On 2011-03-28 09:11, Cameron Francis wrote:
Great show, guys! But I do have one question, is Spectre a Devil's Hank and a Glorpy/Haunted Hank? Or were you guys meaning Haunted Hank but were saying Devil's Hank? I was confused by that. Because I haven't seen a Devil's Hank/Haunted Hank before but I kept thinking it might make for a nice combo!

I gathered it was both, but you had to make adjustment to get it to Glorpy.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Interesting. Has anyone combined a Devil's Hank and a Haunted Hank before?
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On 2011-03-29 00:20, Cameron Francis wrote:
Interesting. Has anyone combined a Devil's Hank and a Haunted Hank before?

Probably not... and for good reason! This isn't a very workable item IMO. Craig gave it a score of 14%; that's probably a little on the high side. This item is not worth the amazing high price at which it was released! Get a regular Glorpy - or better yet get Lynetta's Ghostly Hank at Fabric Manipulations - and then pick up a Devil's Hank separately. This does both, kinda, but it does neither well at all. My opinion anyway.

Thanks!

Jim