The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Wizard Magic Review :: Wizard Product Review - Real Floating Card, Metal, Modern Mentalism and The Gathering (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2435 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Hi guys the new show is now up. On this weeks show we look at Modern Mentalism by Matt Mello, Real Floating Card by Expert Magic, Metal by Dee Christopher and The Gathering by Jamie Dawes. We really would like your feedback guys so let us know what you think.

Thanks again

Craig

Link to show - Click Here!
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Michigan
2903 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I bought Modern Mentalism and agree with the review, but the ACAAN is really CAAN, clever but not ACAAN.
David Berglas would laugh at you!!!!
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2435 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Hey Tom

Technically it's. CAAN but I perform it as a ACAAN. Simply have 2 decks hand one out the shuffle and then take the first deck and have someone name any card. Whichever they name openly take it out and put the rest away. Hand this card to a spectator and have them write the number on. As they do take the shuffled deck back and cull the selection to the top and proceed as in Matts method. Now it's an ACAAN!

Watch next weeks show to find out what happened with David Berglas!!!

Craig
lumberjohn
View Profile
Special user
Memphis, TN
626 Posts

Profile of lumberjohn
The review of Modern Mentalism really caught me by surprise. I don't have it, but I've seen few positive reviews, with most indicating it is very basic, for beginners only, and presents effects that are completely undeceptive. Jheff's review on Marketplace of the Mind is only the latest of these. I respect Craig and Dave's reviews, as I've generally found them to be right on, but I've rarely seen such a discrepancy between their reviews and other respected reviewers. Any thoughts on why this set might be so polarizing?
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2443 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
The Gathering is awesome, but I feel you under stated the set involved.
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2435 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On 2011-01-20 11:16, lumberjohn wrote:
The review of Modern Mentalism really caught me by surprise. I don't have it, but I've seen few positive reviews, with most indicating it is very basic, for beginners only, and presents effects that are completely undeceptive. Jheff's review on Marketplace of the Mind is only the latest of these. I respect Craig and Dave's reviews, as I've generally found them to be right on, but I've rarely seen such a discrepancy between their reviews and other respected reviewers. Any thoughts on why this set might be so polarizing?

Fair question!

I have ripped Paper Crane in the past more than once and feel they are responsible for some total rubbish hitting the Market in the last year. However in the case of this DVD set I liked it. Yes there is some filler and it would have been better off being one DVD but the good material on there more than made up for it. The finger effect and PS I love you routine have gone straight into my act. A lot of the material is simple which makes it perfect for a beginner but I really feel the material is great for a professional mentalist as well. Yeah you could be a snob and say that the material is too simple for a pro but I think that simple is sometimes the best way to go.

At the end of the day The Wizard Product Review is only Dave's and my opinion - it doesn't make it right. Most people generally agree with us but not always. I remember facing an onslaught after I ripped Psypher (ironically a Paper Crane Product) and there was even one guy who threatened to beat me up after I ripped ifloat!!!!

Bottom line, I like it and I think you might to but I could be wrong!

Craig
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2435 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On 2011-01-20 11:38, dave wrote:
The Gathering is awesome, but I feel you under stated the set involved.

Nah, I can do it in two minutes. It might take longer when you start but not by much.

Great effect though isn't it. I did it on a table last week and the woman screamed - very unusual in the UK!

Craig
auriuspd
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of auriuspd
PLEASE stop these Wizard Product Reviews at once!! They are costing me too much money each week in new purchases and my wife is getting angry.
Judah Vee
View Profile
Special user
of the JV Naughty Vanish....
884 Posts

Profile of Judah Vee
I am a little sad about Gathering..... Now too many people know about it!!! I got this back when Jamie released it as a PDF and have used it ever since. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this effect. Craig and Dave are SPOT ON with this review. I also bought the DVD, mostly because I lose pdf's all the time.And I would like to pass it on to my son when he's old enuf.

And now I have to spend more money on the Menatlism DVDS..... Dang it... lol

-J-
I don't care how fast or slow you are.... As long as I am faster.. -J-
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10800 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2011-01-20 15:14, auriuspd wrote:
PLEASE stop these Wizard Product Reviews at once!! They are costing me too much money each week in new purchases and my wife is getting angry.

Ditto. A new book called "13 steps to slowing down your Magic Impulse Buys" will be coming out in the Spring lol.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
james_thecanadian_magician
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of james_thecanadian_magician
After watching this week's show. I suddenly have an urge to by the Real Floating Card .......................................................................................................................... NOT!!! lol
auriuspd
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of auriuspd
Saysold1:
When will "13 steps to slowing down your Magic Impulse Buys" be out in 6 volume collector's edition DVD set?
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Great show as usual, the highlight of the week for me.
I give it 95% Smile
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
jglumley
View Profile
Loyal user
Kansas City
244 Posts

Profile of jglumley
Great review guys, I look foward to them every week, any chance you will review some "bigger" effects?
The "18"
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2443 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
Craig, I love what you and Dave are doing, even if I don't agree all the time, like you say, it's just your opinion, and I have found that 99% of the time you guys are right on, fair and honest, but then that's just my opinion.
lumberjohn
View Profile
Special user
Memphis, TN
626 Posts

Profile of lumberjohn
Craig,

Thanks for the response to my question. In looking over some of the negative reviews, one problem appears to be a lack of proper crediting, which you guys did mention. I suppose some people consider this a bigger issue than others. I personally feel it's something that should be mentioned in a review and that creators should be reprimanded for, but not something that should be reflected in a review score, as that is really not what most potential purchasers are primarily concerned with. I suppose its an area in which reasonable people are likely to disagree and will continue to do so.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10800 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2011-01-20 19:32, dave wrote:
Craig, I love what you and Dave are doing, even if I don't agree all the time, like you say, it's just your opinion, and I have found that 99% of the time you guys are right on, fair and honest, but then that's just my opinion.

Except for their review of Psypher Smile
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
After watching your review of the Gathering I knew I had seen it before. After going to Full 52 and seeing that it was originally sold as a PDF I KNEW I had it. I remember when reading it I thought, "Sounds kinda hard to make and I suspect it will be obvious to the spec." Which is why I never tried it. Your review convinced me to give it a try but after looking everywhere, I couldn't find it and so now I've had to go and buy the DVD!! Luckily, Full 52 gives you a free download when you buy the DVD! My first attempt at the gimmick wasn't stellar but hopefully it gets better. I look forward to performing it.
CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1063 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
Quote:
On 2011-01-20 17:55, auriuspd wrote:
Saysold1:
When will "13 steps to slowing down your Magic Impulse Buys" be out in 6 volume collector's edition DVD set?

It's not about "when its out" but it's about "when will it be reviewed by the 2 guys"!
Then .... then you must buy!
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1526 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
Quote:
On 2011-01-20 11:09, Craig Petty wrote:
Hey Tom

Technically it's. CAAN but I perform it as a ACAAN. Simply have 2 decks hand one out the shuffle and then take the first deck and have someone name any card. Whichever they name openly take it out and put the rest away. Hand this card to a spectator and have them write the number on. As they do take the shuffled deck back and cull the selection to the top and proceed as in Matts method. Now it's an ACAAN!

Craig

that's a great touch craig!
will give it a go at tonight's gig
cheers
matt wainwright