The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Wizard Magic Review :: Wizard Product Review - Gion Deck, No Fail Kids Show, Sick and the Lightning Box (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2435 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Hi guys.

The latest show in now online. This week we look at Sick by Sean Fields, Gion Deck, Lightning Box by Bob Kohler and The No Fail Kids Show DVDs.

Any questions just let me know.

Link to show - Click Here!

Thanks guys

Craig
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Many thanks, I thought the same about GION deck! Smile
Will you review the KYOTO deck as well?
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1706 Posts

Profile of Markymark
You saved me spending $50.00 on a Gion deck so thank you.As a thank you I bought
a dvd from your shop.

A hindu shuffle only and a name with more then 7 letters!
Perhaps the Gion deck should have stayed in Asia!
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10800 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I just got my Gion Deck in the mail yesterday - !!! Yikes!!!

By the way, not to be a pain but the term "Oriental" is considered somewhat offensive in the States - apparently not so in Europe. I didn't take offece and know you guys are just being your playful selves...but...

From Google answers and Wikipedia:

"the term Oriental, when referring to a person, region,
or custom, is perceived as a derogatory relic of Imperialism by North
Americans (and some other countries), but is seen as an acceptable
descriptive term by Europeans and in many Asian countries."

Some people think of the term oriental as offensive or politically
incorrect, largely because of its perceived connection by some people
with nineteenth century European and American attitudes about the
region. In this world view, the East was seen as backwards, exotic,
and patriarchal, while the West was seen as logical, rational, and
more modern?.

Major objection to the use of oriental is chiefly limited to North
America. Its use is much less controversial in Europe, as well as in
Asia where, especially in south-east Asian countries, the word is in
comparatively widespread usage.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3088 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Glad David like the lightening box, I agree, a well made, expensive, worker.
CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1063 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
Quote:
On 2010-12-09 11:06, saysold1 wrote:

So what are YOUR thoughts?
As bad as the known online review?
I'll get mne in a few days; at least what I hope for.
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10800 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Haven't had time to mess with Gion yet. I will look at it this weekend and we shall see.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
alpha alex
View Profile
Special user
774 Posts

Profile of alpha alex
Quote:

By the way, not to be a pain but the term "Oriental" is considered somewhat offensive in the States - apparently not so in Europe. I didn't take offece and know you guys are just being your playful selves...but...

more modern?.

Oh please.. don't start with that..
in latinamerica we say oriental.. who cares?
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2126 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
The Gion Deck does allow you to force two cards, in a completely hands off manner, without Hindu Shuffles.

Mix the deck, table it, walk across the other side of the room. Your back is now turned. Two spectators each cut the deck in turn. Under these very fair conditions, you know BOTH selected cards.

So, if you need a hands off card force of one or two cards, the GION deck can be a wonderful tool allowing what appears to be a free choice under the fairest of conditions. BUT you would want your EFFECT to warrant the procedure.

It does come with the "cutting on the table" instructions that teach you how to AVOID the Hindu Shuffle.

Cheers

Benny
+Inventor of the world famous Floating Match+
+Author: Machinations (Vanishing Inc, 2020)+
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10800 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2010-12-09 15:44, alpha alex wrote:
Quote:

more modern?.

Oh please.. don't start with that..
in latinamerica we say oriental.. who cares?

I personally am not offended at, but as someone who lives in the United States and the attitudes here and what is considered "appropriate."

I'm sure you are much more sensitive to the values and what is appropriate to say in your country in Latin America.

It is a fact that the word "Oriental" as a term for a person, rather than a thing... was long ago relegated in the UNITED STATES (and perhaps other places) as a derogatory term. We can all roll our eyes around at the possible ridiculousness of such things, but then again I am not of Asian descent or heritage.

If I didn't bring this up, I suspect someone else would Smile
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3102 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Chris Angel looking out at us from in between you two is creeping me out! Smile
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
rockthemike
View Profile
Special user
Seattle
695 Posts

Profile of rockthemike
Oriental is a term for rugs not people. Thanks saysold Smile

Anyways, great show again!
Michael Wong
Wizard
http://michaelwong.says.so
ryesteve
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of ryesteve
Quote:
On 2010-12-09 15:30, saysold1 wrote:
Haven't had time to mess with Gion yet. I will look at it this weekend and we shall see.

Well, the basis of their low score seemed to be "who cares, it's a boring effect". The rest of the comments were just piling on. I don't know, I like the effect... it's the requirements that turn me off. And I still haven't had anyone explain how cutting the deck could work, unless you exercise a lot of control over the grip the spectator uses to cut the cards.
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2126 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
The "cutting the deck" instructions came on an additional printed sheet with my GION Deck. All is explained on that.

Benny
+Inventor of the world famous Floating Match+
+Author: Machinations (Vanishing Inc, 2020)+
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
alpha alex
View Profile
Special user
774 Posts

Profile of alpha alex
[quote]On 2010-12-09 17:59, saysold1 wrote:
Quote:

I'm sure you are much more sensitive to the values and what is appropriate to say in your country in Latin America.

It is a fact that the word "Oriental" as a term for a person, rather than a thing... was long ago relegated in the UNITED STATES (and perhaps other places) as a derogatory term. We can all roll our eyes around at the possible ridiculousness of such things, but then again I am not of Asian descent or heritage.

If I didn't bring this up, I suspect someone else would Smile

not really.. I have travelled a lot and I don't get offended by beaner or wetback
I do joke about it. I have a sense of humor about it.
americans are the ones that are getting afraid of words
I remember George Carlin talking about it..
you shouldnt be afraid of using a word, it is just a word
it is the way is used.. not the word itself.
as I see it craig didn't use it in a bad manner, he just name them. he was talking about that asian dvd and Oriental people are from asia,whats wrong with that?

for a second.. lets be politically correct, lets be afraid of using words
Criminal: behaviorally challenged
Failure: Deferred Success
Housewife: Domestic Engineer.
Midget: Vertically Challenged

that's what we are going to get if we keep avoiding words...
what´s next? will people call it the ¨O¨ word?..
oriental is here to stay

sorry.. I'm just against people banning words out of the dictionary.
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Hi Craig,

Enjoyed the latest reviews and appreciated the mention of The Destination Box Smile I would just like to point out that while you said it is "such a massive prop to carry around in your pocket" there's an easy solution... don't carry it around in your pocket! Smile Not everything has to fit in your pockets (i.e. chop cup) and there's advantages to carrying something around that isn't hidden.

Cheers,
Jon

p.s. I agree about the Gion Deck Smile
Creator of iconic magic that you will want to perform.
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
Available at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10800 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Alpha Alex-

I love Carlin and I wish that we all lived in that Utopian world - but the fact is that some do take offense to some words.

The N word is used often in rap songs today, but is that N word offensive to many? What do you think?

I 100% agree (and already stated) that I don't think anything derogatory was intended in any way - But it is possible to offend and hurt unintentionally. I was simply calling their attention to it. If Craig & Dave or others think that it is BS or meaningless, so be it.

But Craig and Dave were not chatting with a few buddies at a party - They are now part of the media by choice, and therefore held to perhaps a different higher standard.

The beauty of the internet now is that it is uncensored and free - but with that greater power comes a responsibility to be sensitive and responsible to one's intended audience. They have a worldwide audience of many diverse backgrounds I would guess.

George Carlin was on the money and ahead of his time, but the world hasn't yet decided that words are meaningless and that is a fact.
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2435 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Wow, so many comments such little time!

Okay firstly, sorry if we offended anyone with our use of the word 'oriental'. That is a perfectly acceptable word to use where Dave and I come from and if it can be taken any other way we are sorry!

Having said all that it does not change the fact that the trick IMO is not very good. The fact that they have to give an alternative method on a piece of paper accompanying the DVD tells me that at the last minute they realised their trick would not work outside of where they are. Ben, I would rather do X Ray than is effect which IMO is so much better. For example the deck cannot be examined afterwards and you really have to be careful, especially if you are using the cutting method.

John, I love destination box and use it a lot (I actually use it for the end of a longer routine with a borrowed note. When I use it I carry it to the table and hand it to someone to hold. I still very much like e lightening box and the size of the prop is a major plus point in it's favour.

Thanks again guys for all your comments

Craig.
mayniac
View Profile
Special user
617 Posts

Profile of mayniac
I'm in the US and I have never seen anybody take offense by using the word oriental. I mean, we even have a NICE (fancy) restaurant just a few minutes away that is called the "Oriental Wok." And by the way, it is owned by a chinese man! Craig, I really don't think you need to feel bad about your use of the word oriental lol. Keep up the good work guys.
alpha alex
View Profile
Special user
774 Posts

Profile of alpha alex
Quote:
On 2010-12-10 11:27, saysold1 wrote:
Alpha Alex-

I love Carlin and I wish that we all lived in that Utopian world - but the fact is that some do take offense to some words.

The N word is used often in rap songs today, but is that N word offensive to many? What do you think?

I 100% agree (and already stated) that I don't think anything derogatory was intended in any way - But it is possible to offend and hurt unintentionally. I was simply calling their attention to it. If Craig & Dave or others think that it is BS or meaningless, so be it.

But Craig and Dave were not chatting with a few buddies at a party - They are now part of the media by choice, and therefore held to perhaps a different higher standard.

The beauty of the internet now is that it is uncensored and free - but with that greater power comes a responsibility to be sensitive and responsible to one's intended audience. They have a worldwide audience of many diverse backgrounds I would guess.

George Carlin was on the money and ahead of his time, but the world hasn't yet decided that words are meaningless and that is a fact.

first than all. I respect your perspective Smile
if americans are sensitive about it is ok.. just don't try to spread it to another countries.
we do not share your view. Smile