The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Wizard Magic Review :: Wizard Product Review 50 - 4-5-2011: (Concept 7, Sugar High, Flipper Card, Double Back) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
Quote:
On 2011-05-10 15:55, RyanAdams wrote: Secondly, the WPR is more of a show than a review,

Ryan

I'm kind of new to this thing . . . what does the 'r' stand for?
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2011-05-10 18:16, truthteller wrote:

Wizard Product Review. Ergo....WPR
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Quote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-10 15:55, RyanAdams wrote: Secondly, the WPR is more of a show than a review,

Ryan

LMAO!
Creator of iconic magic that you will want to perform.
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
Available at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
Quote:
On 2011-05-10 19:15, gaffed wrote:
Quote:

Wizard Product Review. Ergo....WPR

LOL

Loved this weeks show!!
jsheas
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of jsheas
It must be tiring to have to come on here and argue the reasons why an opinion was made. Hopefully this won't cause this review show to be filmed less frequently.
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
I think Craig and David strive off of this type of humor, though I admit some of the performances by Craig haven't been up to his usual standards. Otherwise, it's a great show!
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
995 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Keep up the good work Craig and Dave!
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
https://www.youtube.com/user/yinhowe80/
Kurtis Chin
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of Kurtis Chin
Love the show Craig & David. Their candor mixed with humor makes WPR unique and entertaining. I suppose everyone loves the WPR all the way up until their product is reviewed, then all hell breaks loose.
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2414 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On 2011-05-10 10:33, magicmanager wrote:
Hi Craig,
Please allow me to address your interesting rants.....

Firstly, the instructions are top shelf (you did see these in the box right Craig or are you complete blind?) as I paid my graphic designer over $500 USD just for the included fully illustrated instructions that show a magician man completing all aspects of the hook-up. In addition, Daniel was well trained and provided excellent instruction within the DVD (and someone actually commented on this in another thread). So please Craig, and from your “speculation” about Concept 7, please don’t again infer there was anything lacking with the instructional content. Really Craig, to say the instructions are nothing but excellent is just stupid! Please don’t try to misguide people on this rant attack! Completely unprofessional Craig!

Secondly, Daniel was new to IT, but did learn a massive amount of content over months of work and did a really nice job in bringing the project together. Why did I use Daniel? I just don’t have the talent pool and especially a magician who works in IT........plus, Daniel understood how to use SkyHooks and WebMakers. Further, since this is a niche effect, I would have had to pay a top rated magician thousands of dollars when my limited release was only 200 units total (again, which sold out in a little over a week). Not a good return on investment for such a limited release.

Now, in regards to your “impractical” comments. Again, this comes from your clear speculation of the effect and not from actually performing it. Dan White (top consultant to David Blaine) actually did the set-up and performance of Concept 7 and his comments were "Concept 7 is one of the most organic and realistic looking levitations I have ever seen. If you actually had the power to make something float, this is how it would look." Hey Craig, how is it that a top name in the magic community proves such an excellent testimonial yet you, again who only can speculate about Concept 7, gives it a 1% rating? I my opinion, it’s because you continue to wear horse blinders and refuse to look outside of the box. Break out of it Craig and walk towards the light.........

JR

Hey again Jim.

Firstly if you have ever watched any episodes of the Wizard Product Review you will know that this is not me ranting. Me ranting would read totally different to this. All I am doing is defending my review. You came on this thread (which is fine) and started asking questions and I am simply addressing your points. So please don't tell me I'm ranting when that is simply not the case.

Now firstly I would love to take on your challenge however there is one simple problem - I would have nowhere that I could perform Concept 7. As a full time working professional I work in a lot of different venues especially as I do kids shows, close up, cabaret - pretty much everything. I cannot think of one place where I could set up your effect and perform it once let alone over the course of a week. Which happens to be my point the effect is totally unpractical.

You talk about Dan White giving you a great quote and that's fantastic but I don't see Dan on here defending you or Concept 7. I have never once said that the levitation looks bad - it looks great and when compared to a normal levitation obviously it's better. My point is the set up is so impractical that even though the effect looks better I would rather do more practical levitation. As far as I can see Dan's quote is about the quality of the effect and not the practicality. Plus (and please try to understand this) it's only my opinion just like Dan's opinion is his. At no point have myself and Dave said that our view is the be all and end all because it isn't.

You keep mentioning that I am speculating on the effect Jim and therefore my opinion is no good. Jim, I watched the DVD all the way through and then read the paper instructions. I played with your little gimmicks and then decided not to bother making the effect up and trying it because I could see I would never perform it and learnt everything I needed to know off the DVD you supplied with the product. So at no point have Dave or I speculated on anything. Regarding the instructions for the product yes the paper instructions were well written but I still think it was a bad idea to develop an effect, do no research and development (as far as I can see) and then have someone not used to performing with thread appear on the DVD. You didn't need to pay a fortune to remedy this all you needed to do was put a post on the Café asking for someone experienced with thread to help you. You pay their travel and put them up and in return they will star on a DVD. You could even give them a few copies on Concept 7 to sell at lectures etc. I guarantee you would have had more enquiries than you could handle.

Here endeth the rant

Craig
magicmanager
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of magicmanager
So my point stands to NEVER releasing any niche effects in the future and be subject to “Creator Assignation” of a 1% rating by the WPR .......ok, exiting the hornets’ nest now.

I do sincerely believe you and Dave bring great things to the magic community but I do feel strongly about this point as the WPR is clearly entering the Peter Parker quote syndrome.

JR
magicmanager
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of magicmanager
Ok, one last thing Craig.........

In your last post you say “it was a bad idea to develop an effect, do no research and development (as far as I can see) and then have someone not used to performing with thread appear on the DVD.

I worked originally with John Heinen, met with Tim Trono and discussed the effect and provide the original proof of concept video for his opinions and Murphy's commitment to units, received the ok from Benny Harris for crediting his prior art, worked with Andy Amyx on the effect, worked with Dan White on the effect, and over months of work (people do learn new things Craig!) worked with Daniel Lachman in scaling and refining Concept 7...............I can’t take you seriously Craig!

JR
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2414 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On 2011-05-11 12:23, magicmanager wrote:
So my point stands to NEVER releasing any niche effects in the future and be subject to “Creator Assignation” of a 1% rating by the WPR .......ok, exiting the hornets’ nest now.

I do sincerely believe you and Dave bring great things to the magic community but I do feel strongly about this point as the WPR is clearly entering the Peter Parker quote syndrome.

JR

Jim,

I am not trying to do any type of “Creator Assignation”. I reviewed your Product and I didn't like it - deal with it. Are you saying that I'm not allowed to express my opinion about your product and if I do I'm trying to damage people character? Maybe I should only say something if I like it. Well that's not what we do on the WPR. Once again if we like something we say, if we don't we say. Neither Dave or I liked your product so we said so. Since then I have only been on this thread to address your posts. I never said anything till you came on here. The WPR focuses on routines that work in the real world that's why our best award is the Worker of the Week. Your routine although visual will not work in the real world so it was given a bad grade. Simple. I'll say it one more time.

ITS NOTHING PERSONAL, IT'S ONLY OUR OPINION.
dp
View Profile
Veteran user
345 Posts

Profile of dp
Quote:
On 2011-05-09 06:08, Jon Allen wrote:
Hi David,

I never said any jibes were aimed at the product.

Surely it is the responsibility of reviewers to show the products in the best possible light... or is that wrong?

Maybe you should try focusing on being respectful. Trust me when I say it makes you a better person Smile

Regards,
Jon

Hi Guys & Jon,

I’ve been following this week on my phone but had to wait to get back to the pc to post. I am not an established writer like Jon so wouldn’t dare post without the assistance of spell check. lol

Anyway Jon,

When you say the word ‘responsibility’ you obviously don’t grasp what the Wizard Product Review is about for Craig and me. We may be reviewing magic but we can’t be responsible for anyone’s opinion apart from our own. Our regular viewers Jon, know our characters and do have the intelligence to make up their own minds.

The Wizard Product Review gave your product one of the highest possible ratings we can because we really like your card trick. But that is all it is at the end of the day, a card trick. We didn’t sit down and discuss the pros and cons like RESPONSIBLE reviewers because that is not what we do. And if you would like us to review any of your other products (like you say), it seems that you will always be disappointed.

I know a person respecting you is very important to you Jon and if you have the slightest sense that people are not taking you seriously, you get upset. We reviewed Double Back in our normal style, we gave you Worker of the Week and you’re not happy. I don’t think I or anyone else, having read your posts and seen the show will fully understand it either. You do have some support from JR on here but I don’t think you would be getting that if he had got the review that you received.

We reviewed your product and for our show, it got a great review but please don’t ask for my respect Jon. The way you have reacted to your review has lost that and after all it’s just a card trick!

David
Close Up Magician & Illusionist - David Penn

Search The Wizard Product Review at http://www.worldmagicshop.com
NYCJoePitt
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of NYCJoePitt
I love you Craig and David! Not only is your show entertaining and valuable, but your viewpoints are solid. Its great to see you both on the board discussing your show when creators nitpic about your verbiage. One would think they would be grateful for the publicity, good, bad, or otherwise!
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Hi David (and everyone else),

This would be too funny if it weren’t so impactful.

Your posts, along with Craig’s and other’s are a defensive response to me being unhappy with your opinions of Double Back. Have you looked at the very first sentence I wrote on this thread? I’ll put it here:

“Thanks for reviewing Double Back.”

Seems my thanking you for the review has been lost but it's there for all to see if you want.

If you can point out exactly where I have written that I was unhappy with your opinions, the score or the WOTW my trick got, which is what you have been posting about, then please re-post it for everyone to read. I haven't. Seriously, go back through my few posts and read them. Unfortunately, people are simply assuming you are right and that I was unhappy with your opinions about my trick. I’m not. In fact Craig’s comment about the gimmick eventually getting grubby is fair although it will take ages to get to that point.

Rockwall wrote “I was a bit disappointed with your demo as I found it a bit disrespectful and certainly not done with the same feeling as other products you give such a good score to.”

To date, you haven’t brought his name up or addressed his observations.

I also wrote, “I have no problem with the reviews being an entertainment show though even reality show judges only make jibes either before or after a performance. There is a lot of banter between you and David but not so much when you are performing something so the viewers can get a good idea of what the routine/effect or presentation is.”

So as you can see, I’m fine with all the fun you and David have on the show. It makes it entertaining to watch. However, as was pointed out on here and by others to me off here, the way it was presented seemed disrespectful and more so than with other products. Surely you want to show it in its best light? Don't you owe it to the creators of magic to do so right across the board? If it’s rubbish then so be it; if it’s good, then great.

So, you are getting defensive, while attacking me, over something that is a non-issue! People on here are now approving of your condemnation of something that doesn’t exist! Also David, your voice SMS message to me where I “seem to have a vendetta” against you is very, very wrong. I have no ongoing feud with you at all. So when your message also said you were “happy to keep it going” and “it will be fun”, this raises all kinds of issues with you. Why would anyone find it “fun” to keep a vendetta going if they are the one the vendetta is against? It’s creepy you feel this way. However, to re-iterate, I have no vendetta or feud with you. Should I have?

Let me tell you the issue I have with the the video. Right at the start I was introduced as someone with a “veeeeery interesting key bend.” It was described as “similar to Coinvexed”. David, your tone and look seemed to insinuate I had somehow stolen off you or based my routine on yours or something. As I said on here in my first post, I didn’t. At no time have you ever contacted me with your concerns. It would have been the proper thing to do rather than make insinuations on your show. Add to this the excessive interruptions to Craig’s performance that people noticed and your comment at the end about Craig’s performance vs. mine and it seems to add up to someone not exactly impartial.

Am I wrong?
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
dp
View Profile
Veteran user
345 Posts

Profile of dp
Quote:
On 2011-05-12 11:24, Jon Allen wrote:
Hi David (and everyone else),

This would be too funny if it weren’t so impactful.

Your posts, along with Craig’s and other’s are a defensive response to me being unhappy with your opinions of Double Back. Have you looked at the very first sentence I wrote on this thread? I’ll put it here:

“Thanks for reviewing Double Back.”

Seems my thanking you for the review has been lost but it's there for all to see if you want.

If you can point out exactly where I have written that I was unhappy with your opinions, the score or the WOTW my trick got, which is what you have been posting about, then please re-post it for everyone to read. I haven't. Seriously, go back through my few posts and read them. Unfortunately, people are simply assuming you are right and that I was unhappy with your opinions about my trick. I’m not. In fact Craig’s comment about the gimmick eventually getting grubby is fair although it will take ages to get to that point.

Rockwall wrote “I was a bit disappointed with your demo as I found it a bit disrespectful and certainly not done with the same feeling as other products you give such a good score to.”

To date, you haven’t brought his name up or addressed his observations.

I also wrote, “I have no problem with the reviews being an entertainment show though even reality show judges only make jibes either before or after a performance. There is a lot of banter between you and David but not so much when you are performing something so the viewers can get a good idea of what the routine/effect or presentation is.”

So as you can see, I’m fine with all the fun you and David have on the show. It makes it entertaining to watch. However, as was pointed out on here and by others to me off here, the way it was presented seemed disrespectful and more so than with other products. Surely you want to show it in its best light? Don't you owe it to the creators of magic to do so right across the board? If it’s rubbish then so be it; if it’s good, then great.

So, you are getting defensive, while attacking me, over something that is a non-issue! People on here are now approving of your condemnation of something that doesn’t exist! Also David, your voice SMS message to me where I “seem to have a vendetta” against you is very, very wrong. I have no ongoing feud with you at all. So when your message also said you were “happy to keep it going” and “it will be fun”, this raises all kinds of issues with you. Why would anyone find it “fun” to keep a vendetta going if they are the one the vendetta is against? It’s creepy you feel this way. However, to re-iterate, I have no vendetta or feud with you. Should I have?

Let me tell you the issue I have with the the video. Right at the start I was introduced as someone with a “veeeeery interesting key bend.” It was described as “similar to Coinvexed”. David, your tone and look seemed to insinuate I had somehow stolen off you or based my routine on yours or something. As I said on here in my first post, I didn’t. At no time have you ever contacted me with your concerns. It would have been the proper thing to do rather than make insinuations on your show. Add to this the excessive interruptions to Craig’s performance that people noticed and your comment at the end about Craig’s performance vs. mine and it seems to add up to someone not exactly impartial.

Am I wrong?

And so ends another week on the Wizard Product Review.

LMAO
Close Up Magician & Illusionist - David Penn

Search The Wizard Product Review at http://www.worldmagicshop.com
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
"And so ends another week on the Wizard Product Review."

Some of us have moved on to THIS WEEK'S WPR (and awaiting next week's Birthday special with guest star Matthew!) Smile
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
[quote]On 2011-05-12 12:57, dp wrote:
Quote:

LMAO

Thank you. That reply speaks volumes!
Jaz2005
View Profile
Veteran user
I wish I had time to get more than
339 Posts

Profile of Jaz2005
Quote:
On 2011-05-12 12:57, dp wrote:

LMAO

ROFLMFAO Smile

All the best Jim
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Wow, after reading all the attacks on what I thought was a well thought-out episode, I found myself singing an old Rick Nelson song...
"Well, it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see, you can't please everyone so you've got to please yourself."

Rock on, David and Craig!

:punkrocker: