The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Wizard Magic Review :: Wizard Product Review 52 (Hardcore: Easy Coin Magic: Insider:) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Another great episode!

While I was listening to the review for Magic Makers, "Easy Coin Magic" I noticed that Ben Salinas has another DVD on coin magic with Magic Makers. I personally think that Ben Salinas is an excellent teacher, and also have his DVD on sponge balls.

The DVD I have from Magic Makers is called, "Modern Coin Magic" 4 DVD set. It has tons of stuff on here, and it's taught by Ben Salinas. I would recommend someone checking this dvd set out first because it contains far more stuff. I have found it to be very benifical to my early developement into coin magic.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3068 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
I don't own Hardcore, but Jay taught Insider at his lecture and it is pretty awesome. The method is extremely clever, though I don't own the product, knowing the method alone I'd say it's completely worth it to check out.
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
NFW
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1002 Posts

Profile of NFW
I have to echo the comments from Gaffed reference Sankey e-mails - prolific !! think I may have to hit the unsub button sooooon.........
mayniac
View Profile
Special user
617 Posts

Profile of mayniac
Quote:
On 2011-05-19 12:23, NFW wrote:
I have to echo the comments from Gaffed reference Sankey e-mails - prolific !! think I may have to hit the unsub button sooooon.........

I already did a couple weeks ago. I got tired of all the BS.
Stapper
View Profile
New user
the netherlands
91 Posts

Profile of Stapper
Thanks, I loved it again!
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1860 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
EXCELLENT SHOW and CONGRATULATIONS on a fantastic year of reviews! I have to say that some of my favorite moments of the show are the times of, "I opened it a half hour ago and I can do it already." I too was set back by the rolling of the Rattled trailer and I hope "commercials" don't become regular segues. (Pronounced seg-ways for those not familiar with the commercial term) If you guys are going to play "commercials" I say they should be specially produced by you and as entertaining just the same. ...Just my way over biased two cents.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
tgold65
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of tgold65
Regarding the Sankey comments on this thread. I think there is some great Sankey material that is worth looking at. Mostly his older stuff. I think it is hard to continue to be that prolific at a high level of quality for a long period of time. I have found very little to be excited about in the past 5 years or so and I really like Jay Sankey. Unfortunately, the only thing that has come out recently that I like is Insider, which is quite clever. It really does look like what he shows in the trailer.

That said, I think it is pretty obvious what is good and what isn't just by looking at the trailers. Hardcore looked like crap and his most recent release, "Bending the Real" looks like it is aimed at high school students who want to pull of stunts in the school Caféteria. So if you don't like what he has, don't buy it. There are plenty of reviews out there of his material so it isn't hard to figure out.

But just because his material is a 50/50 proposition, doesn't mean that the good stuff still isn't worth looking at. Just be selective because at forty something years old, he isn't going to magically develop a filter.
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2011-05-22 23:02, tgold65 wrote:
..he isn't going to magically develop a filter.

Sure he will, and it will probably come out this week. It will be called, “Filter”! It will more likely than not involve the same moves that are used in 70% of his weekly produced tricks, but will only use the filters taken from a cigarette. Of course it will have an appropriate story line, and again be the most ultimate effect that a spectator can handle aside from the possibility of their respective brains popping out of their ears! That, and side from all probability, it will be something that he never uses, but only sells.

As I mentioned before, Jay seems to be in some obsessive competition with himself to see how many one trick DVD’s he can produce each month. His never ending productions are somewhat akin to the boy that cried wolf, and as we all know, eventually no one paid any attention to him. I think people, at least I know I am, are getting rather tired of running to the forest when he cries out “new trick” only to find out that there is nothing there. Then, when perhaps that “new trick” is actually a “new trick” and quite real/good, no one will run to the forest to investigate. Then again, Jay is making money hands over fist with his endless tiresome tricks so....all the power to him. I guess in the end, that when you have a well known name and good marketing that quantity is more important than quality. As for me, I’ll opt for the quality, but I’ll more likely than not even be aware of it if by chance a quality trick comes from Jay as I’ve long ago given up running to the forest to investigate his shouting; “New Trick”!
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
William B
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of William B
You are giving away sooooooooooo mcuh
EmersonRodriguez
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of EmersonRodriguez
Gaffed:
"It will be something that he never uses, but only sells. "

You're wrong, do not talk about what you do not know, there is no effect that Jay Sankey has released, he has not been tested in real conditions,he is no stranger to magic is already over 30 years, and has things that he already wore long before many people think of using

Gaffed:
"Jay seems to be in some obsessive competition with himself to see how many one trick DVD’s he can produce each month"

1- Yes, he is obsessive in a competition with himself
and this is what is so admirable in him as an artist, he lives questioning and reinventing themselves

2- He is one of the artists who have less "one trick Dvd's" ,impresses me how much material he puts in a DVD and for such a low cost

3-I have no problem with "one trick Dvd's"
may not be best for the buyer's pocket, but it's better for the seller and in my opinion is better for the art of magic for 3 reasons: First: The person actually learn all the details needed to perform
these details which can only be learned through trial and error making the learning process faster
Second:helps enhance the effect and the creator makes us understand that it is not just an idea but a work of art
Third: makes the magic spread in smaller quantities and with higher quality

4-He is one of the few artists who still make Demos honest, because he knows that the most important behind a magic trick is not the whole but its essence, presentation, writing, timing and creative process and he talks about it at all DVD's of him,
For that alone is worth the price of his DVD's

5-I agree with Craig Petty that he should have a filter yet
I'll keep buying their DVD's
reading their e-mails and listening to the valuable advice behind the
"simple effects"