The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Wizard Magic Review :: Wizard Product Review - Gion Deck, No Fail Kids Show, Sick and the Lightning Box (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
ryesteve
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of ryesteve
Quote:
On 2010-12-10 00:12, Ben Harris wrote:
The "cutting the deck" instructions came on an additional printed sheet with my GION Deck. All is explained on that.
Without getting specific, can you at least confirm whether or not the cut requires a conspicuous level of control over the spectator?
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2126 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Hi ryesteve.

No not all all. All you need to do is situate the deck BETWEEN the two spectators so that their positions force them to cut the deck at the ends orientated (pun intended) towards them. One will cut at one end, hitting a force card, the other will cut from the other end, hitting the other force card.

It is a very clean force of two cards, totally hands off.

In my opinion, to dismiss this concept, just because of the Hindu Shuffle, is to not give the "secret underlying principle" the attention it deserves. I agree, with Craig and David's PRESENTATIONAL concerns, but do feel there is a lot of potential here if you think outside the box. It is a clever, hands off way, to force TWO cards. What you THEN turn that into, is up to you.

Benny
+Inventor of the world famous Floating Match+
+Author: Machinations (Vanishing Inc, 2020)+
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1057 Posts

Profile of John Carey
Hi Craig,

Please review Gerard's the process dvd please pal. Also the new 21 dvd from Sweden

Best

John
ryesteve
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of ryesteve
Quote:
One will cut at one end, hitting a force card, the other will cut from the other end, hitting the other force card.
Yes, I figured this was the requirement. But unless the spectators are sitting very far apart and can't reach the deck comfortably, I think most people would naturally grasp the deck right in the middle when cutting.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Yes, I noticed the "oriental" thing too, having lived in Califronia with a lot of Asian friends I'm pretty aware that saying "Oriental" today is a lot like saying the N-word. Once it was considered appropriate, now its not. Dave and Craig seem such nice guys however I assumed it was just a cultural difference.

As for the gentlemen from latin america who doesn't see the problem, though... I assume then we can start calling you a "spic"?

All you need to know is that the people it describes don't like it. That should be enough reason for any polite person not to use it
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10800 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2010-12-12 00:29, Cyberqat wrote:
Yes, I noticed the "oriental" thing too, having lived in Califronia with a lot of Asian friends I'm pretty aware that saying "Oriental" today is a lot like saying the N-word. Once it was considered appropriate, now its not. Dave and Craig seem such nice guys however I assumed it was just a cultural difference.

As for the gentlemen from latin america who doesn't see the problem, though... I assume then we can start calling you a "spic"?

All you need to know is that the people it describes don't like it. That should be enough reason for any polite person not to use it

Thanks for chiming in Cyberqat-

The person from Latin America I think was making clear that in that area of the world the term Oriental is not considered taboo. But I would also guess that in that area there may be some words which are considered uncouth there... but which may be no big deal here in America.

I grew up in LA and like you I try to be sensitive.

This discussion here has remained very friendly, and the bottom line is that the GION DECK is getting talked about (good or bad) even more.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3222 Posts

Profile of lunatik
There's a difference between using the N word as opposed to 'black'. There's a difference between saying 'slant eyes' as opposed to 'oriental'. If I describe a fellow co-worker as black, it's not a problem. If I say he's a n*****, then I have a big problem on my hands. If I describe a co-worker as oriental or asian, it's not a problem. If I say he's a slant eye, then I have a big problem on my hands.

Oriental is NOT the new "N" word that the media has latched onto as being taboo. The word Oriental is not something that is thrown into songs as slang nor as a demeaning word. It's not being used on the streets by kids as something cool to say and it's not being used as an insult either.

I have no problem with the word Oriental used in their review. And yes, I have korean, chinese, japanese and tawainese friends. I also have black, white, and hispanic friends.
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1057 Posts

Profile of John Carey
Political correctness has f----d up my country. I can't believe saying Oriental is offensive? The world really has gone t---s up.

Need a pint

jc
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
By the N word, I actually meant "Negro."

Which is *exactly* the same.

Since when has being polite been an issue of "political correctness."

Use of that accusation has become an easy answer for people being asses. and that's f-cked MY country up.

The people you are referring to don't like being referred to that way. What else could possibly matter?
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
The criticism of the world "Oriental" is a complex one having to do with cultural bias and stereotypes about the East. Edward Said's "Orientalism" is a classic book dealing with the West's representation of the East and its origins in colonialism. As for its use as a derogatory term, here is Wikipedia:

"Oriental. (Predominantly U.S., used elsewhere) Originally an acceptable term for referring to an Asian person and/or their ethnicity; now considered obsolete and mildly offensive due to its Euro-centric perspective which defined the world only in relation to Europe." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_slurs_by_ethnicity)
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10800 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I'm about as liberal a guy as you'll find and don't care much about political correctness. I only know (as the Brits and others know) what is considered good or bad taste in my respective country. The U.S. Has become more divided now than I can remember in my lifetime.
If you Google the word Oriental you can read pages of data on why this word MAY be considered offensive. Why this is true - I don't know the history. But the word ASIAN is apparently the preferred term. Google it.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
NFW
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1002 Posts

Profile of NFW
Things appear to have 'gone off track' a little here !!
Craig and David, greta review show and I think you may have helped several people save some money and not purchase the Gion deck..
Roll on Wednesday ...
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Myself I'm a firm moderate (which is to say I'd be considered very liberal on some thing and rather conservative on others) who is old enough to know that the term "politically correct" was a purposeful oxymoron that the infantile left AND infantile right have both unfortunately taken seriously.

Now, I agree, enough said and back to our scheduled program....
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10800 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Agreed. Move on baby - but it is good that this was discussed and also addressed by the Wizard boys.

I haven't an opportunity thus far to mess with my new Gion deck as I have too many new magic items now with too little time. I'm sure others can relate.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3222 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Liberal Asians probably don't like the term oriental as soon as the N word became taboo amongst the media, they had to find something to make a mountain out of a mole hill. None of my many Asian friends have an issue with the word 'oriental'.

Now back to the Gion deck!
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2414 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On 2010-12-12 14:50, lunatik wrote:
Liberal Asians probably don't like the term oriental as soon as the N word became taboo amongst the media, they had to find something to make a mountain out of a mole hill. None of my many Asian friends have an issue with the word 'oriental'.

Now back to the Gion deck!

Good idea,

it's S***. That's all I can really say about it.

Craig
flekka
View Profile
Regular user
wirral, england,
186 Posts

Profile of flekka
Craig... is sick shipping yet...

john
what you achieve in life echo's for eternety
oombob
View Profile
Special user
Canada
846 Posts

Profile of oombob
[quote]On 2010-12-12 15:46, Craig Petty wrote:
Quote:

it's S***. That's all I can really say about it.

Craig

I own the Gion deck and also give it a three star review. S***.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10800 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I'm sad... I got shnookered too my friend :-(

Such are the hazards of magic purchases.
oombob
View Profile
Special user
Canada
846 Posts

Profile of oombob
Quote:
On 2010-12-17 00:03, saysold1 wrote:
I'm sad... I got shnookered too my friend :-(

Such are the hazards of magic purchases.

Remember... not a word to the wives. Smile