The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Wizard Magic Review :: Wizard Product Review - Audio, David Stone DVD, Extreme Burn 2.0, Autograph (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2010-08-07 06:41, Craig Petty wrote:
Thanks again for the comments guys.

I love it when I hear that we have helped peoples purchasing decisions as that's one of the main reasons for the show. Of course if you guys have any further questions about any of the products we have looked at let me know and I'll try my best to help.

Thanks again

Craig

Craig, you should try to perform the effects, for crowd. If people are using your reviews to make purchasing decisions, saying something is rubbish or fantastic and not having used it, might not be prudent.

What if you think it's rubbish and perform it and the crowd loves it? Do you change your mind? Maybe not. You may still feel it's rubbish, but Magic can see an audience has a different opinion.

Same for a product that you love. If Magi see the crowd underwhelmed, it might not be for them.

Maybe less frequent reviews so you can learn and perform them. Without a doubt, there will be effects that you will say "are rubbish. The worse trick I've ever seen" and then perform it and find folks love it.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2435 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
I see what you mean Chris and I agress in many ways performing these effects to real people would be a good idea. However, I have a problem with that which is this -

I consider myself a pretty good performer, I have been performing magic for over 15 years and I know how to get a great reaction out of a crowd with even a bad trick. I know just heat to say and how to say it to get a crowd to react well to pretty much any routine. My problem is that if I perform a trick that I know is bad and get a good reaction with it then that reaction could be misleading and counter productive to what I am trying to achieve. Most trailers these days have the real world reactions if people want to see that on this show I am more concerning with giving my opinion on a product and informing people. What myself and Dave are trying to do is perform the effect in the studio to camera and each other. This way you get to see an uncut version of the effect and I have enough information from learning the effect to give an opinion from the point of view of performing it.

Does that make sense?

Craig
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
In no other art form is a critic expected to perform something for an audience. Does a music reviewer have to learn to conduct a symphony and assemble an orchestra to review one? Going further, does a film reviewer have to sit in a general audience screening to review a film? Also, isn't killing spectators as much about the performer as the trick?

Criticism is different than market research and audience testing. We all know the paradox with magic -- we can learn new tricks, rehearse them forever, but blow people away just as much with that Invisible Deck we bought when we were kids. Buying new magic products is as much about stimulating ourselves with new methods and ideas as it is about trying to find new material for spectators.

All of this said, I've bought stuff that I thought was boring in terms of its method and performed it to great response, so I'm not saying that the "audience testing" argument is completely wrong. But I don't think one has to perform what is basically a variation of "Anniversary Walt" with an extra phase or two to critique it.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2010-08-08 04:15, Craig Petty wrote:
I see what you mean Chris and I agress in many ways performing these effects to real people would be a good idea. However, I have a problem with that which is this -

I consider myself a pretty good performer, I have been performing magic for over 15 years and I know how to get a great reaction out of a crowd with even a bad trick. I know just heat to say and how to say it to get a crowd to react well to pretty much any routine. My problem is that if I perform a trick that I know is bad and get a good reaction with it then that reaction could be misleading and counter productive to what I am trying to achieve. Most trailers these days have the real world reactions if people want to see that on this show I am more concerning with giving my opinion on a product and informing people. What myself and Dave are trying to do is perform the effect in the studio to camera and each other. This way you get to see an uncut version of the effect and I have enough information from learning the effect to give an opinion from the point of view of performing it.

Does that make sense?

Craig

Craig, thanks for the great response.

I think this goes back to "it's not what you do, it's who you are".

Thanks very much!

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Profile of Justin N. Miller
Great review..just a quick side note on crediting graig.
The double date writing is not gregory wilsons, its lisa mena in her effect lipstick..but I guess you past over that crediting part on the dvd when I mention it.

Seriously looking forward to the next issue!
Justin (king of awesome) Miller
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Hi guys,

Id be curious if you think this DVD is (a) impractical/rubbish (b) really just for those with big budgets or (c) genuinely useful.

Obviously its a hot topic right now:

LEVITATOR BY ANDREW MAYNE - DVD
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
dp
View Profile
Veteran user
345 Posts

Profile of dp
This can only end badly. Stay tuned at 12 noon tomorrow for the Wizard product Review.

All the best,

David

Click here to view attached image.
Close Up Magician & Illusionist - David Penn

Search The Wizard Product Review at http://www.worldmagicshop.com
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2435 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On 2010-08-09 14:11, Justin N. Miller wrote:
Great review..just a quick side note on crediting graig.
The double date writing is not gregory wilsons, its lisa mena in her effect lipstick..but I guess you past over that crediting part on the dvd when I mention it.

Seriously looking forward to the next issue!
Justin (king of awesome) Miller

Hey Justin, great to hear from you!

Thanks for the info, I'm sure I've seen Greg use the idea as well but I'm sure it's a common idea.

Looking forward to seeing your next release

Craig

Awsome, Awesome, Awesome!!'