The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: APPealing or APPalling? :: Iphone mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Hi guys,
I just looked at the latest effect where the guy thinks of a card and theres a dial up to hear a recorded voice naming said card.
It's lovely I guess, but I've been doing it for over 20 years or so now. My version has them calling a friend of mine who chats live to them, does a cold reading and then tells them their card. Of course it could also be the name of a loved one or anything else for that matter.
My point?
If you actually learn skills, in the above case for example with a playing card then you would use the cla--ic force then you have a gift you can use forever and in a hundred ways.
The handling, providing you learn the skill, is much better and you don't have that situation where everyone and their dog wants to know: "Where did you by that app?"
Any thoughts?

Bob
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
Bob, I understand what you're trying to say but I think the effect above is so strong that it needs either a logical disconnect or a f*rce that will withstand challenge conditions. A good example of such a f*rce is Juan Tamariz doing his card silk. When I first saw him perform this I would never believe that he used a f*rce and I've been cla**ic F*rcing for years. Other than that I think people will logically suspect what happened and as Erdnase taught us that's almost as bad as people detecting what happened.

As far as I phone mentalism I'm not that familiar with most but my own gut feeling is to be careful that the effects don't look like what they are-mentalism by technology.

Steve
Maddened
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of Maddened
Bob, Steve, I agree completely. That's been my beef with technological mentalism. It's just so easy to say, "The app/program/machine/techy thing did it." And even if they are wrong, all that matters is that they have "figured" it out. There is even an iphone app for an ACAAN effect and as good as the app is at disguising the methodology, it just becomes easy and obvious for people to assume that there's something with the app.

So I've been skeptical so far, even though I'm rather tech-savvy (I am the IT guy in my department after all). I won't dismiss one day that technology will help level up the kind of things we do, but I don't think we are near that stage yet. At least not so much that we can use it as part of our act, or fit in together with a series of routines.

PS. On Scam School, there is a rather nice card reading effect that uses a Youtube video to reveal what the card a spec is thinking of/chosen is. I think that's a good use of technology but again, it stands alone and too far apart from anything that is "usually" mentalism for it to be useful other than as a small trick to show people.
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
On the last JINX BROADCAST is a great two card method for phone use.
One of the Dead Boys gave it to us and we thank him for his help.

My opinion is that using your own phone will never be as strong as letting them make the call from
the phone they have on them.

Unless you use the method from the Mind in Chains DVD that uses your phone but no APP.
Also is a free choice with a follow up(Do it again proof).

J im

H.o.A-X
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
You might want to have a peek at Mental Killer by Max Krause as well: http://bit.ly/g7mjEl
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
natswift
View Profile
Regular user
Colorado
177 Posts

Profile of natswift
I just watched the review of the APP IPredict and it looks awesome. The spec actually does use their own phone to dial the number which printed on a business card and is listed in your contacts list on your iphone/ipod.

I own IForce which is a great effect in my opinion; however I do think that "old school" methods work better for the simple reason that anytime I use IForce I always get a string of excuses...

"it's voice recognition" (which it isn't)

"That's a cool app" (which it is)

"The camera saw what I wrote!" (no, and I have a Ipod with no camera, but it still gives the specs an out)

Anyway to sum it up for me; love Greg's work; very clever stuff but I do think that most magicians/mentalists are more impressed than lay people for the simple fact that they provide themselves an out (whether correct or way off base), and when using pencil and paper they can't fathom the reality that someone might be able to manipulate the outcome.

After saying all that, I'll probably buy the app and support Greg because IForce is awesome and if IPredict is 1/2 as good I look forward to seeing it in action.
Never forget to dream!

Nathan Smith
nateswift2010@gmail.com
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
Skynet will become self-aware in
2885 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
Hi natswift,

I agree with your point but I also think it all depends on the effect and the performance.

I get emails everyday from iForce users telling me their friends think they have powers.

As far as the effect goes, when I perform iForce with John Kennedy's Mind Power Deck, the audience has NO idea what the method is.

As far as the performance goes, I ALWAYS perform iForce with a NLP premise . . . if performed correctly, the iPhone disappears and the specs think you're using subconscious language to manipulate their decisions.

With that said, my goal is to create organic magic that gives you a REASON why you HAVE to use your iPhone . . .

I think iPredict is a great example of an effect that gives the iPhone a real motivation for being a part of the effect. You're using your iPhone as a phone or your using it as a way to look up someone's contact info.
http://bit.ly/goXnfu

I hope you enjoy iPredict,
Greg Rostami
CasualSoul
View Profile
Special user
Edmonton, Canada
541 Posts

Profile of CasualSoul
To reduce suspicion on the iPhone with iForce, I introduce it earlier where we are just using the doodle app instead of a pen & paper. I actually use Kranzo's Drink most times for this purpose. As I'm using the Doodle app as just that--and I never touch the phone--it reduces suspicion on the phone in subsequent iPhone effects like iForce and Mental Killer. Of course I'll have to try out iPredict now as well; it looks awesome Greg!!
"Open their mind by performing the impossible"
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
I sometimes feel like someone stuck a sandwich board on me without telling me. If it weren't for this beer I'd be feeling a little frantic.
My uncle Rab has a Ford Orion for sale by the way. Eighty quid. Good for parts. Some parts.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
CasualSoul
View Profile
Special user
Edmonton, Canada
541 Posts

Profile of CasualSoul
Quote:
On 2010-11-30 10:57, bobser wrote:
I sometimes feel like someone stuck a sandwich board on me without telling me. If it weren't for this beer I'd be feeling a little frantic.
My uncle Rab has a Ford Orion for sale by the way. Eighty quid. Good for parts. Some parts.

WTF?? LOL I think you might be losing it there bobser. Smile
"Open their mind by performing the impossible"