The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: APPealing or APPalling? :: Sideshow Subliminal (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
My son recently created an iPhone app called Sideshow Subliminal. He just flew in from Seattle for the holidays so I've just now got to see it. It beats my expectations! I knew the artwork and music would be good, but the workings of the method are very good also!
This app works on the premise that subliminal messaging is being used, which gives it a great lead in for many patter lines. Although the premise is carnival/midway based, you actually have 12 picture choices that you can put in to implant the "subliminal messages" in your spectators mind. You can put any twelve images you want into the phone to form it into your own routine.
Workings seem pretty solid. With a little practice I can see this as a good little high tech add-on to your close up show.
I used it as a stand alone at Christmas and everybody loved it. For 2 bucks you ought to give it a try--it's a lot of fun!

Here's the link to Cardboard Swords: http://cardboardswords.com/

Thanks,
Gimpy
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1789 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
Will it work with a blackberry
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Just works on iPhone for now.
He's got it for sale on the iTunes apps store.

Thanks,
Gimpy
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
The app isn't available on the Appstore.

EDIT: Nevermind, found it. Does it truly use subliminal images?
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Try this link:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sideshow-......463?mt=8

If it still doesn't work, let me know.

Also, if anyone likes Sideshow Subliminal, he'd appreciate some reviews!

Thanks,
Gimpy
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Sorry, just saw the Edit note.

No, it doesn't really use subliminal messaging--that's just the story line. It does have images that blink irratically to help you convince your audience that you're using subliminal messages. I think it's a super fun premise. Plus, you can add your own images if you want a different story line. It's very versital. I'm thinking of using it to do something with cards since you can use 12 images.

Thanks,
Gimpy
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2010-01-07 17:29, gimpy2 wrote:
Sorry, just saw the Edit note.

No, it doesn't really use subliminal messaging--that's just the story line. It does have images that blink irratically to help you convince your audience that you're using subliminal messages. I think it's a super fun premise. Plus, you can add your own images if you want a different story line. It's very versital. I'm thinking of using it to do something with cards since you can use 12 images.

Thanks,
Gimpy

It sounds very intriguing. 12 items, that's a handful. Smile Would you mind quickly running through what comes up on screen for me/spectator's view, if it wouldn't give it away? e.g. Spectator thinks of an item and it disappears, or clicks an item, or names an item, etc. I would really appreciate it.
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
You start by telling the spectator that you have an app that demonstrates how the carnies on the midway are using subliminal messages to sell whatever food they want you to buy. Then you show the spectator the screen and explain that dozens of food items will flash on the screen (actually there's only 12). Cartoon images of various carnival foods flash across the screen. When the spectator has picked one of the food items in their mind, you or the spectator will touch the screen and a velvet curtain drops. The spectator then announces what food they have in their mind. They touch the screen and the curtain rises revealing their selection.
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Gotcha now Smile

Sounds like a neat app! I would definitely make a card trick out of it though if you have an option of 12. You do almost a full suit, and maybe leave out an Ace, saying that its too common Smile
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
You could even claim that all 52 cards are flashing through the screen, but just have 12 random ones out of all 4 suits.