The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: APPS-alutely :: Book tests as ebook? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1759 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
Considering that I do most of my reading these days on my phone, I am curious if there are any good book tests that use pdfs that can be loaded onto a phone? I have Jose Pragers Lie-Brary and Dee Christophers PYO Book Test, and have just learned of Rory Adams Dracula test. I dislike the Prager test as it doesn't stand up to new screen sizes without giving the method away, and is not examinable. The PYO book test is a little closer to what I like, and I've not got the Dracula test due to it not being repeatable to the same audience. Truthfully this would fill a role in casual performing as if I'm doing a gig I'm not going to be using my phone, I'll have a book with me. That said, I would like to have a few PDFs loaded up that would allow me to have them open any book and using for example U.F Grants method being able to divine the word they're thinking of. I know that I could take the time to design my own and may end up doing that if no other option exists, but I was hoping you fine folks could point me to existing apps or pdfs that would allow a choice of word from a book and be able to be repeated with the same audience.
ursmagicbalu
View Profile
Inner circle
India
1084 Posts

Profile of ursmagicbalu
Zodiac by Theory11
Magic Tricks by Mikael Montier
Dicesmith by Benke Smith
“It’s not what you do that matters, or even how you do it;
it’s what the spectators perceive you as doing that matters.
That’s the MAGIC they’ll remember.”
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1759 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately those don't meet the criteria I have in mind as Zodiac and Magic Tricks require a physical book, and Dicesmith seems to just be an app to know the value of a die roll. I've also been suggested Wikitest but to me that isn't quite a book test though it does look interesting. But ideally I'm looking for a few PDFs of well known books that utilize the long word principle or similar. Only reason I haven't created it myself is that I am a terrible writer to begin with, so coming up with a fully examinable pdf that is gimmicked will be a challenge haha.
rasp
View Profile
Inner circle
1122 Posts

Profile of rasp
I would suggest using 'iThump' and creating your own custom list for any book you wish to use (You would need to purchase the app to understand what I mean by custom list).

Also, another great app is 'Elips'. Similar to a booktest, but you are asking someone to search for the lyrics to a song of their choice, and on their phone. You then ask them to think of a word in the lyrics, and you reveal that word.

Regards,

Rasp.
ursmagicbalu
View Profile
Inner circle
India
1084 Posts

Profile of ursmagicbalu
Quote:
On Apr 2, 2022, Chaz93 wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately those don't meet the criteria I have in mind as Zodiac and Magic Tricks require a physical book, and Dicesmith seems to just be an app to know the value of a die roll. I've also been suggested Wikitest but to me that isn't quite a book test though it does look interesting. But ideally I'm looking for a few PDFs of well known books that utilize the long word principle or similar. Only reason I haven't created it myself is that I am a terrible writer to begin with, so coming up with a fully examinable pdf that is gimmicked will be a challenge haha.

I have created my few own pdf
“It’s not what you do that matters, or even how you do it;
it’s what the spectators perceive you as doing that matters.
That’s the MAGIC they’ll remember.”
KarpeNoktem
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of KarpeNoktem
I would purchase WikiTest - I think it's a brilliant way to do it. Because not everybody reads e-books but everybody has WikiPedia on their phones accessible. And "happening in the spectator's hands" is what makes it killer IMHO.

Having recommended that, I would then say you can always take inspiration from the WikiTest text and create your own e-books
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1486 Posts

Profile of Angelo Carbone
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2022, Chaz93 wrote:
That said, I would like to have a few PDFs loaded up that would allow me to have them open any book and using for example U.F Grants method being able to divine the word they're thinking of. I know that I could take the time to design my own and may end up doing that if no other option exists, but I was hoping you fine folks could point me to existing apps or pdfs that would allow a choice of word from a book and be able to be repeated with the same audience.

This is exactly what I have done with my own book test. Spectator has a choice of any of the 60 books in my library and I proceed with my version of the long word principle. I wrote the book/story from scratch.
The Gift: Trick of the Year 2017
My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/themagicinventor