The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Food for thought :: Foundation of lies? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Donnie
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Donnie
I often work restaraunts, I am 16 and do it for the love of magic and performing, the cash is a bonus. But it always bothered me when I'd approach someone and we'd talk and they'd decline on my offer of magic. They do it very politely and I know its nothing against me personally but I always wondered why. I realize from time to time they'll be busy talking, or that they just don't feel sociable, and thats cool, but what really upsets me is that every once and awhile I would come across someone who just did not like magic, and I don't blame them. So much magic is illogical and dissapointing and presented like a rubiks cube.

ITs like magicians get all the colors on one side of the cube and say, "look", then mix it up again and say,"here I bet you can't do it" and give it to you to play with. It is a challenge given with blatant disregard for theatre, entertainment, and sanity(ok maybe not sanity).

It looks to me like a lot of magic was built on a foundation of lies, deceit, and challenges and thats wrong. But what can I do about it?

Well I can start by going to the restaraunt night after night and giving them my sweat and blood (or maybe some card tricks), I will do things that improve the image of magic. Right now magic is littered like the face of a teenage boy with pimples of indifference but will do my best to pop one zit at a time, are you with me?
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Donnie, I think that your approach may have something to do with the rejection. If you say, "I am a magician. Would you like to see some magic?" you instantly give the adults at the table an image of the god-awful birthday magician who ruined their child's party. If, however, you ask them if they "would like a demonstration in sleigh-of-hand" they are far more likely to ask you to stay. You are asking the same question, but by calling it "a demonstration in sleight-of-hand" rather than "magic" you are implying that what they are about to see is SKILL rather than TRICKS. Smile
Chris A.
View Profile
Inner circle
AKA Chris A.
1123 Posts

Profile of Chris A.
I think if you involve people and give them an emotional connection to what you're doing, then they will respond much better.
AKA Chris A.
Keepin' the Funk Alive
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
"but what really upsets me is that every once and awhile I would come across someone who just did not like magic, and I don't blame them. So much magic is illogical and dissapointing and presented like a rubiks cube."

Have you not thought that simply statisticaly
this will happen with anything?

Why shouldn't some people not like magic?
It does not have to mean that there is some sort of inherent Flaw in it or it's presentation.

I remmember many many years ago before I was full time pro and I used to work for a living.
I won a prize for top sales. which involved me going to London watching an international football match seated with the managers and then Dinning with them and several players after the match. I wriggled and twisted to try and get out of this as I dislike football (any sport come to think of it). Anyway I was basicaly told by the company that I had to go. so I did There were people in the room not on our table, who had paid quite a lot of money Just to be in the room, that where clamoring to find out how I managed to get on THE table. Personally I found the whole thing a pain in the AR**
as I had to leave the magic shop early to get back in time for the game.
Not everyone likes the same things.
Even if it is free
Phillip
Huw Collingbourne
View Profile
Loyal user
Devon, UK
201 Posts

Profile of Huw Collingbourne
It's worth remembering too that people who are going for a private or intimate dinner with a girlfriend, boyfriend, husband, wife (or whatever) might object to *anyone* disturbing them. Even if David Copperfield or Siegfried and Roy complete with a pack of white tigers turned up they wouldn't want to see them.

People having a fairly boring meal with business associates or people out as a gang for a good night out might, on the other hand, just *love* to be shown some magic...

As the old adage goes, "the customer is always right!" (which may be tough for the performer, but then, they are the people paying the money Smile )

best wishes
Huw
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
Quote:
On 2002-08-18 02:24, p.b.jones wrote:
Why shouldn't some people not like magic?

In some cases, haven't we given them good reason to take that exact stance?
Donnie
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Donnie
I am with ya Randy, in its purest form i think magic can be a universal thing.
PatUmphrey
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of PatUmphrey
Quote:
On 2002-08-17 23:17, dpe666 wrote:
Donnie, I think that your approach may have something to do with the rejection. If you say, "I am a magician. Would you like to see some magic?" you instantly give the adults at the table an image of the god-awful birthday magician who ruined their child's party. If, however, you ask them if they "would like a demonstration in sleigh-of-hand" they are far more likely to ask you to stay. You are asking the same question, but by calling it "a demonstration in sleight-of-hand" rather than "magic" you are implying that what they are about to see is SKILL rather than TRICKS. Smile

I agree with you in that the approach definitely relates to the amount of rejection.

However, I think attributing your magic to skill will definitely change what you are presenting. I would rather have 2 or 3 tables reject me in a night and show the rest of them "magic", vs. having no rejection and showing everyone my "skill".

I suppose it is a matter of personal taste. If you are going to go the skill route, you might as well learn some wicked flourishes to go with it, and toss those around while you're at it. This would make that method more effective.

IMHO, as usual-

Pat
“And you’ve got a perfectly logical reason for showing the cards like this” -Harry Lorayne

“Paging Mr. Herman” –Rafael Benetar
sweetcarl
View Profile
Regular user
Brussels, Belgium
120 Posts

Profile of sweetcarl
I think Phillip's answer sums it up best. Not everyone likes the same things - and why should they? Like Phillip, I couldn't care less if I were invited to a fancy dinner with world-class soccer (football) players, but I know many people who would kill to be there. Same with magic: some like it, and some don't. I suppose the problem is that if you're working in a restaurant then you are obliged by the management to offer your services to all the tables, but they can politely decline - just like they can decline to order a bottle of champagne and opt for a glass of water.
Official Translator to Christian Chelman and the Surnateum
Linguanet Quality Translations
Lance Pierce
View Profile
Special user
878 Posts

Profile of Lance Pierce
I sure don't want anyone to take this the wrong way...Donnie, I think you have a hard row to hoe simply because you're 16, and it's something you're just going to have to sweat through until you're older. Most people, when approached by any unknown 16-year-old person (or really, anyone under their mid-twenties these days), find it very, very difficult to take that person seriously on any level. Remember, the overwhelming majority of 16-year-olds who are actually out of the house and doing something are working in the lowest levels of the labor force with no decision-making power and with as little real responsibility as it's possible to give them. It's hard for older people to break away from the image of teenagers working behind the counter at McDonald's.

This is all the more reason you should perfect being as genteel, gentlemanly, and professional as you possibly can. Dress well, act exemplary, and make sure your hair is neat and well-trimmed. You're going to find it very challenging to meet your customers on their level, mostly because they're not going to want you to.

And it's because of your young age that I have to suggest that you completely avoid demonstrations of pure skill -- or really of any skill at all. It's challenging enough for a 40-year-old to make people appreciate pure skill...most spectators are intimidated by it. I can't imagine how a 16-year-old could ever successfully pull off such a demeanor. I'd definitely stay away from presenting your effects as "magic," too...instead, it might be best for you to present them as something that even YOU don't understand, hoping that the audience can help you figure it all out somehow. If you're as puzzled as they are, they might relate to you a little bit more easily.

In all things, keep in mind what the audience appreciates and how they can be entertained. I can practically guarantee you that the LAST thing they're interested in is being shown up by some clever snot-nosed kid in a restaurant, so present yourself carefully and kindly. Since you say you'd like to improve the image of magic, this is one way you can definitely get there.

Best,

TCR
Matt Graves
View Profile
Special user
Huntsville, Alabama (USA)
504 Posts

Profile of Matt Graves
Hey man, don't feel too bad. I take rejections really hard myself, but everybody gets some bad feedback every now and then. Sometimes it's because the performance is bad, but sometimes it just doesn't "click". When I went to see David Copperfield, I was shocked to see that a lot of his jokes didn't go over very well with the audience.
I guess sometimes people are just in a grouchy mood. Smile
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
Try getting the restaurant to put table tents (that you provide) on each table. They should mention that the restaurant is providing magical entertainment for those who wish it. "Just ask your waiter (I will not use the word waitp**son) to have Donnie come to your table."

Perhaps you will want to add that there is no charge for the personal, right-at-your-table show.

A picture of you, preferably one in which you are doing something interesting, would be a definite plus.

You're on the right track and doing magic because you love it. What could be better?

There is one other thing. Perhaps you could find a non-zit metaphor.

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.