The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Food for thought :: Gestures used to create the magic moment (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
BradleyNott
View Profile
Veteran user
Westwood, CA (UCLA)
351 Posts

Profile of BradleyNott
I want everyone's thoughts on gestures that are commonly used to create the magic moment.

I'll first list some examples...

Coin workers often snap their fingers to imply an empty hand AND to create the magic moment.

Some wiggle their thumbs or rub their fingers.

There is the always popular hand wave.

You can use a spin and a tap of a wand.

Magic words are great too.

One that I find peculiar is blowing, which McBride loves to use especially in his rope routine.

What are all your thoughts on good magical gestures?

What do you think of getting spectator's to participate by asking them to participate in the magic moment by getting them to blow, snap, etc.?

Just curious since I never really gave the issue much attention.

-Brad
If you were a hotdog, and you were starving...would you eat yourself? I know I would!
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
The kind of magic gesture you use will depend, in part, on the source of your character's powers.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
A wave of the hand
A squeeze
A light touch with the fingertips
Eye contact at the moment of revelation

I'm working on a new one where I spasm violently while screaming bloody murder... but that one's having mixed reactions and is still in the development stages Smile

Best,

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
Eight Spades
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio (northwest)
482 Posts

Profile of Eight Spades
I never liked hand waving (it seems too cliche and corny), so instead I'll sometimes just rest my hand over top of the deck and silence myself both audibly and visually. Absolutely no movement or noise creates such a powerful tension that it really calls the attention of the audience.

-Christian
"Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained." -S.H. Sharpe
EvanSparts
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan
333 Posts

Profile of EvanSparts
Quote:
On 2004-09-03 13:08, Eight Spades wrote:
I never liked hand waving (it seems too cliche and corny), so instead I'll sometimes just rest my hand over top of the deck and silence myself both audibly and visually. Absolutely no movement or noise creates such a powerful tension that it really calls the attention of the audience.

-Christian

That's so right on the money with my thinking. The kind of gesture really can almost define your character.
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
I like the delayed reveal of an effect.

For instance, you do a false transfer and knead your ahnd to make it vanish. You open your hand slightly and look, "nothing has happened", start kneading again, look...ah...NOW it's gone!

Works also well when rubbing the face of a card to make it change into the selection.
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Laughing Otter
View Profile
Loyal user
Behind you!
205 Posts

Profile of Laughing Otter
I have a favorite that fits my character. I will lightly touch the object/subject of the magic, pause, smile and give a small sigh, as if I have just confirmed, "Yes, it worked", then comes the revelation.
MinnesotaChef
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapolis,MN
176 Posts

Profile of MinnesotaChef
I throw out the wink sometimes. Or smile like you're onto something. Not on something. Also in regards to the "blow" I do use it. I think it gives the impression of actually blowing away some kind of trace evidence of the object. If you're curious to see an odd example of it that works really well, watch "The Usual Suspects" the character Verbal does it in the last scene and it's down right spooky.
"Great restaurants are, of course, nothing but brothels.There is no point in going into them if one intends to keep one's belt buckled."- Fredric Raphael
BradleyNott
View Profile
Veteran user
Westwood, CA (UCLA)
351 Posts

Profile of BradleyNott
Thanks for the responses everyone! You've given me a lot to think about.
If you were a hotdog, and you were starving...would you eat yourself? I know I would!
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Please add to the list a style in which you show the result without any magical gesture.

For example : Speactator deals cards and stops. If you give a magical gesture over the last dealt card and turn it face up, it would not be a good presentation. In this case, verbal method of focusing on the stopped card would be stronger.

In Japan, magic is getting more and more popular as an entertainment. So presenting magic as a real magician (Wizard) is dying.

Hideo Kato
Eight Spades
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio (northwest)
482 Posts

Profile of Eight Spades
Quote:
On 2004-09-06 05:15, Hideo Kato wrote:
In Japan, magic is getting more and more popular as an entertainment. So presenting magic as a real magician (Wizard) is dying.

Hideo Kato

Not to get off subject, but I really don't understand this quote. Just because this form of entertainment is becoming more popular, does that really mean you can't present it as real? I truly do not understand why you would limit the most powerful aspect of magic.

-Christian
"Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained." -S.H. Sharpe
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Yes, I believe it is foolish today to perform magic presenting it as a real magic in Japan. Magic appears on TV almost every day and maybe 99% of Japanese people are fully aware magic is depending upon secret methods, devices and presentations.

In a sense, Japanese people are much familiar with magic. Does this mean we are limiting the most powerful aspect of magic. I don't think so. Nevil Maskelyn once said best audience are magicians. Japanese people are so familiar with magic that they can appreciate good magic.

BTW, Tomo Maeda will have a TV program which is not a magic show, but is a program which introduce his life and success story. Magie Shirou appeared in Quiz Show. Mr.maric hosted "Adventure in the South Pole'. Many magicians appear in TV commercials. I think this has been resulted because we have not limited the most powerful aspect of Magic.

Hideo Kato
EvanSparts
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan
333 Posts

Profile of EvanSparts
Well I'm glad Im not in Japan. If everyone looks at magic as just entertainnment that's a sad day for me in magic.
Eight Spades
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio (northwest)
482 Posts

Profile of Eight Spades
I guess that depends on what this diluted idea of the most powerful aspect of magic. Some things need to change with time but not the roots of magic. I really don't even know what to say to this.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
I get a lot of mileage out of the 'Svengali stare' during moments of concentration.
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Quote:
On 2004-09-08 01:09, EvanSparts wrote:
Well I'm glad Im not in Japan. If everyone looks at magic as just entertainnment that's a sad day for me in magic.

Evan,
What do your audiences think magic is, if not entertainment?
waveman
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of waveman
I like to use "Say Go." ala Goshman.

I also rub my fingers together when I make coins vanish.

I snap my fingers with cards and I also riffle the deck.

for kids it's always a magic word said real loud.
honus
View Profile
Veteran user
354 Posts

Profile of honus
Speaking purely kidshow here:

Kids love to blow on things to make them disappear. And they seem to expect magic words and wands.

Snap your fingers and the show's over; the ones who can, do it the rest of the day, and the ones who can't, try to figure out how.

Posted: Sep 12, 2004 1:58am
-------------------------------------
Quote:
On 2004-09-06 22:52, Hideo Kato wrote:
Yes, I believe it is foolish today to perform magic presenting it as a real magic in Japan. Magic appears on TV almost every day and maybe 99% of Japanese people are fully aware magic is depending upon secret methods, devices and presentations.

Ditto to wsduncan above . . . are there people over the age of three anywhere that think magic is real? (Setting aside John Edward fans and such.)
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17424 Posts

Profile of joseph
I like when Mike Skinner or Larry Jennings wave their hand over the card(s), "casting a shadow" for the magical moment.....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Avrakdavra
View Profile
Loyal user
The Pine Tree State, USA
224 Posts

Profile of Avrakdavra
When I was in summer camp one year, my counselor would perform simple coin sleights for us. His "method" for effecting the dissappearances? A loud belch!
I have to say, it played great for ten-year-old boys...