The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Food for thought :: Psychological Convincers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
These subtleties are one of my favorite parts of magic.

I'm sure you all have a favorite in cards, coins, mentalism or elsewhere. So what is your favorite psychological convincer?
Yakworld.
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Simple things like adjusting a coin in your hand (one that's not there), poking a tiny tab of silk back in your hand (that's already t-tipped) etc. I like counting through a deck or fanning it out, while I've got a card palmed. It's all those little things that make magic so incomprehensible to people. Frankly, it works on magicians a lot too. It's one of those older parts of the art that seem to be disappearing (not puns) in today's magic world.

It's my favourite part.

Sable
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
No favourites.One of mine was for card in wallet. Having bottom palmed a card, used to reach into my jacket pocket with an obviously empty (casually flashed) hand, realise I had put the wallet in the other pocket, swap the deck from one hand to the other then load the palmed card in the wallet in the opposite inner breast pocket.
Does this qualify? Smile

Paul Hallas
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
I cast my vote with Jeb; doing an action after the dirty work has been done (e.g.: tucking a silk end into your hand after it's been tipped and stolen out) can be the clincher that makes the trick.
I've had people swear that they've seen the silk "flash" AFTER it had been stolen out!
Same with the get-ready for a double-lift: Take the top card off the deck, in your right hand, and as you show the back, babbling aimlessly, your left hand holds the deck and the left thumb side-jogs the top card about a half-inch.
Then the right hand card comes back to the top of the deck, and it's a snap to do a double lift.
The misdirection is perfect and it simplifies a moves that, for some reason, gives performers all sorts of problems.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
NickW
View Profile
New user
Derby, UK
66 Posts

Profile of NickW
Thanks for sharing that one, Paul! I can't say I have a favourite convincer, but I'm always on the lookout for anything which helps to keep attention away from the moment/place where something happens. I like Michael Ammar's 'Wiped Clean', not as a vanish but as a convincer that my hands are empty before a switch.
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
One of my favs: Going into the pocket to produce a card that is currently palmed. Leave the card in the pocket and come out with something else (lighter, pen, goat, whatever). Acting befuddled you fish back around inside the pocket and produce the card.
Yakworld.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Hi Yak,
Rovi used to take that to extremes. He often used to cram as much in his inner breast pocket as he could, knives and forks, ashtrays etc. It was funny to see him bringing all this into view. I remember the comment to someone, "Do you like cricket? Here's the Ashes" as he brought the ashtray into view:)(English humour)

Paul
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
Smile

Ashes, I get it. Smile Smile

Actually I don't but that first part is a riot. Thanks for sharing that Paul.
Yakworld.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Yak writes: "Leave the card in the pocket and come out with something else (lighter, pen, goat, whatever)"

Aha! So you do the old "goat from pocket" trick, too! Smile

cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
The Ashes is the symbol of victory in the English-Australian test match cricket.

Paul
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
Yes Peter. I do mostly goat-themed magic now. The world famous goat float, goat in lemon, zig-zag goat, cigarette through goat...

And I'm with you now Paul Smile

Here's another little convincer I like. David Willaimson taps on an unseen (not there) coin in the palm of his hand with the tip of a metal wand.
Yakworld.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Do you have the Vernet goat tip? Smile

Smile
David_Libertine
View Profile
Regular user
Lake Charles, LA
142 Posts

Profile of David_Libertine
I'd like to see the infamous Yak Goat Warp.
Boy: Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth.
Neo: What truth?
Boy: There is no spoon.
Neo: There is no spoon?
Boy: Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself.
Dave Le Fevre
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1666 Posts

Profile of Dave Le Fevre
Goat into bottle must need a lot of folds.
The Ozzy Osbourne of the 34x27
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
Smile

Great ideas. I've got some work to do.
Yakworld.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
And don't forget the (rather large) goat pull! Smile
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Darren Kidby
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
291 Posts

Profile of Darren Kidby
What about the signed goat to wallet..????
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
Smile

The goat usually won't let me get near him with a Sharpie. I think it might be the smell. (The Sharpie, not me.)

He does like it in the wallet though.
Yakworld.