The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Food for thought :: So what's gotten into BDC? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
To answer your question longhaired1; Nothing, really.

I posted last week asking a question based on observations among my performance students. It seems few of them read with any depth. Younger performers don't seem to equate being well read to being a good performer. Since this is a magic forum, I chose to address it from a magic perspective. My newer magic students think they just need to learn the moves, often learned on video or youtube, and rarely from a book. But my concern wasn't about MAGIC literature, it was about depth of knowledge of literature in GENERAL. (And this is not based on empirical data, but rather anecdotal observations over a decade of teaching and coaching) So, in a quest to help me overcome their attitudes and objections to literature (because it is something I am passionate about), I came here honestly seeking some insight from those on the forum that do not enjoy reading or avoid it.

Instead I was met with anger, and hate.

I was informed that magicians are avid readers with extensive libraries. OK. Great!

So, I acknowledged that apparrently I am wrong and apologized (even though the intent and context was twisted and in reality I had nothing to apologize for).

THEN I sat and thought about some of the works I loved, and some of the works I hate. I've got a long list. I began thinking about how some of the central themes can cross over into magical performances, and perhaps even become springboards for performance material. Maybe, I thought, if I can demonstrate to my students how literature can influence magic and perhaps vice versa, I can ignite a latent love for reading.

With hestitancy I decided to post here to see what others might say. Perhaps, I thought, a few will see what I am driving at, and going for (thanks Lawrence O). However, I apparently now have to spell out every blasted thought and motivation I have, because instead of being a fun and fruitful exchange of perhaps valid ideas, I get ridiculed and attacked. My, what fun!

How sad, really.

I've been called an ***, a prick, a jackass, a thief and a liar on this board. Some of those people know me, some have no clue who I am or what I'm about. Either way, uncalled for.

Is this the state of magic fellowship? I mean really? My coaches and mentors have advised me to stay away from forums like this for this very reason. I did stay away for a while, but missed some of the interaction of several real friends here. It's the same reason I left the local club. Maybe I need to just go ahead and make you guys happy and do the same here... permanently.

Feel free to discuss... I won't be reading your responses.
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
travisb
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
546 Posts

Profile of travisb
"O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us
To see oursels as others see us"

If you put yourself out there, you risk getting attacked, fairly or unfairly.

Some people get attacked more than others, though.

Must be totally random.

-Travis
longhaired1
View Profile
Veteran user
Salida
316 Posts

Profile of longhaired1
Quote:
On 2009-01-22 17:24, Big Daddy Cool wrote:
To answer your question longhaired1; Nothing, really.

I posted last week asking a question based on observations among my performance students. It seems few of them read with any depth. Younger performers don't seem to equate being well read to being a good performer.

I had actually guessed that was what had inspired the original post in the first place, your interactions with your students.

Quote:

I was informed that magicians are avid readers with extensive libraries. OK. Great!

My guess is that the Food For Thought section attracts the more studious among Café members.

Quote:
I've been called an ***, a prick, a jackass, a thief and a liar on this board. Some of those people know me, some have no clue who I am or what I'm about. Either way, uncalled for.

I always try to behave online as if I will be meeting the same people in person, partially because I do wind up meeting a lot of them in person eventually.

Quote:
Is this the state of magic fellowship? I mean really? My coaches and mentors have advised me to stay away from forums like this for this very reason. I did stay away for a while, but missed some of the interaction of several real friends here. It's the same reason I left the local club. Maybe I need to just go ahead and make you guys happy and do the same here... permanently.

I've always been interested in the art of magic, the business of magic, but never really the fellowship thang. During the 16 or so years that I was studying and performing I attended one convention, one lecture and have no idea what a magic club meeting is like. I do dig the Café but pretty much confine myself to this forum and one other.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
OP, in picture
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.