The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Food for thought :: Knew it was gonna happen..... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Well, I guess it is no longer fashionable to do patriotic magic. The ring I belong to had it's annual magic auction, and I racked up on patriotic items because everyone seemed to be getting rid of theirs.

It was funny, though, whenever the auctioneer picked up a patriotic item, he looked at me first and asked what I'd bid on it. When he picked up the patriotic linking ropes, he first asked, "Are these yours?"
I emphatically told him no that they weren't mine... I still use mine.

I ended up buying them just to have a spare.
I will admit, I got a great deal on the patriotic linking ropes and a Flag Blendo.

I was saddened to find that they didn't feel the need to do Flag and patriotic magic anymore. I still do my patriotic and Flag magic, and will continue to do it until I just simply can't perform it anymore. Patriotism isn't something that is fashionable, it just IS!

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
amagician
View Profile
Regular user
Hobart Tasmania Australia
160 Posts

Profile of amagician
I am patriotic, but just don't think that it needs to be part of any Magic performance that I do.
It always used to be a popular finish for acts to produce a national flag or whole bunch of them and I have no quarrel with anyone doing something like that.
But my feelings about my Country, like any other beliefs and values I have, will not be an overt part of my entertainment.
Other people think differently and that's fine too.
Have a Magic day
John Williams
http://www.ezymagic.com/
more tricks than you can shake a wand at
subscribe to our free ezine on site
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Margarette, perhaps in the wake of 9/11, those magicians who are getting rid of their patriotic material feel uncomfortable doing it -- they may feel it is too much like capitalizing on a tragedy.
However,since you have been doing this for some time, I see no problem with it.
If it fits your style, then go with it.
If not, don't.
As John says, that's fine, too.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
I agree with Peter. There has been a backlash on blatant commercialization of patriotism; however, as you know, those that do this carry an aura of insincerity, that comes across to the person(s) viewing the event.

When we see a sincere display of patriotism, we recognize it for what it is. I sense that you fall into this category and therefore, should continue doing what you are doing.
"Mentalism is a state of mind." Marelli
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Actually, the ones getting rid of their patriotic magic seemed to be the ones who, after 9/11 said "I guess I need to add some patriotic magic to my stuff, now. I guess it's just the thing to do." Well, they didn't sound very sincere to me. But then,
I have spent over three years working on this Flag show of mine, and had been doing it quite awhile before 9/11. But then, as someone pointed out to me today, maybe the reason they were getting rid of their patriotic stuff was due to the fact that they finally got to see me do some of mine, and they saw that yes, one can do patriotic magic with sincerety and reverence, and mean it from the heart, and not just the wallet.

Margarette
Smile (my four year old insisted I add the banana to my post.... so, this is for Ryan!!)
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Good for you, Margarette; always march to your own drummer!
And here are a few more dancing bananas for Ryan:
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Margarette, I have to agree with Peter as well. I was originally Born in Texas, now I live in Canada, and I have a strong patrotiism for both Countries now and I think that if you are happy doing what you do in your show then that is all that really matters!

P.S. please don't take any offense to this, but I have been starring at your photo for quite some time and I just can't seem to figure it out. If you don't mind telling me, I am quite curious... I must be misssing something.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
That's a picture of me doing my straitjacket escape. The picture was taken at last year's IBM in Orlando... final night, in the bar.

Margarette
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

AH HA! Is that ever weird! It's a little whited out so I was having a hard time seeing anything out of that picture, but now that you mention it... I can see it as plain as day now! It's like an opticle Illusion... hey that's pretty cool! Thanks! I feel kinda silly now!
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Peter,
Ryan says thanks for the dancing bananas
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
My pleasure.
As for the picture, in my case, usually they put me in a straitjacket AFTER I've been in the bar! Smile
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
I didn't say how long I had been in the bar when that picture was taken! Smile Seriously, that night, when they found out I had my straitjacket with me, they insisted I bring it down. A lot of people tried it on and tried to escape, but I was the only successful one. Almost everyone assumed it was a gimmicked one....until the straps were being buckled. I was finally challenged, and I couldn't refuse! I had my reputation to uphold!! Smile

Margarette
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5935 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Hmmmmmm...straight jacket, reputation.....hmmmmm Smile
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

HMMMMMM....I still feel bad about the whole picture thing!
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2205 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
I too was trying to figure that pic out. I thought she was combing her hair! hehe how silly of me. Thats the old picture of many uses ploy. It is a different picture depending on the story you tell with it Smile

Chad
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3783 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
I figured it was a straight jacket, or she was getting ready to go sky diving! Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
No, no skydiving for me. I can't see the reason behind jumping out of a perfectly good airplane! Smile I tried to put a different picture up, but I couldn't manipulate it enough to make it a small enough file. So, this was my only choice. Now, if you don't like the picture, I can always go back to being a black bunny rabbit......

(ok, Ryan insisted on the rabbit and hat on this post...although he still likes the dancing bananas...) Smile
amagician
View Profile
Regular user
Hobart Tasmania Australia
160 Posts

Profile of amagician
Margarette, there is a little free program on my other site which should make it easy to reduce your picture.
There are only 2 there and both are free, unencumbered lite versions. I don't even track who visits there at this stage. I put them there to make them available for a graphics program group I am a lurker on.
Hope this helps.
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~johnbw/
Have a Magic day
John Williams
http://www.ezymagic.com/
more tricks than you can shake a wand at
subscribe to our free ezine on site
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Okay, Margarette, how about bananas dancing on cards for Ryan. (I stole the idea from Sable in another posting). Smile
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile