The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Food for thought :: Being Good For Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
That’s an interesting question we can all ask ourselves. If you had asked me a year ago if I was good for magic, I would have said darn right I am. I practice and work routines out until I can do them with my eyes closed. I love the history and have the highest respect and admiration for the legends that have passed their knowledge onto us.

But……I’ve had to re-think the question recently. A friend told me that they way I post in the Café comes off in a way that I might not be helping magic, but hurting it.

I do stand up comedy and you have to have thick skin and the preformers rank on each other, the crowds can be tough. Your jokes(s) may bomb and you bet brutalized. But..you get better because of it. So, I’ve taken that approach with they way I posted in the Café.

Remember Monty Python and the Holy Grail? There’s a scene where they are debating if a women is a witch. And every time they make a point that she is, John Cleese is screaming “ BURN HER”. I howl everytime I see it. And..there’s times I post in that manner. A lot of my fiends in the Café understood my humor and would PM or e-mail about how much they loved it.

BUT…..I also came off as being very rude. Well, even though that wasn’t my intention, it happened. I had a negative reputation and that bothered me as I wanted to help the art, not hurt it.

The Café is a wonderful place and I think we can post honest review and opinions, without hurting anyone’s feelings. Also, the guys creating Magic want to put out the best Magic they can. Their reputations are on the line. And..they want honest feedback. But, they won’t put out stuff if people are going to bash it when they don’t even have the effect, or just post negative comments for the sake of it.

So, I’ve decided I want to be good for magic and have changed the way I post. If I don’t like something, a trick, a DVD, I’m going to say so. But, I’m going to be detailed as to why I don’t care for it. I’m not going to do a John Cleese and shout IT ‘s JUNK, BURN IT! If I think it’s just OK, I’ll say that and if I like it so much that I learn and perform it, I’ll say that. And if it gets that jaw drop reaction I love, or that moment of astonishment that I know refer to, I’m going to shout that I LOVE it!.

If I ever posted in a way that offended anyone, I apologize. We have a great community here on the Café and I hope we can all join together as Magicians helping Magicians!

I want our art to move forward, not remain stagnent. So, I’ve changed the way I post. I can still be funny, I can still offer honest reviews ( thank you to all those folks that have appreciated effects I’ve used and posted about ) and I can be good for magic!

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Burn this Topic!

So you're a standup huh? I admire that a lot! I always wanted to do something like that but the truth is I'm not a funny man in what I say. But I know funny things when I hear them. I'm the loudest one laughing at such venues. I have "comedy central presents" on all the time. Recently comedian Ron White really got my attention as he's figured out a lot of us in the audience and both he and we know it. Very funny man.

I've been on this board a couple of years and have gotten to know a few people well enough to know when they are being serious or playful. A couple of others I'll never figure out and am convinced they suffer a multiple personality disorder but that's another topic. One to be avoided actually.

The courtesy you speak of is not only welcome but also a sign of intelligence on your part. I can go on with a mile long list of the good qualities such a considerate and intelligent person has despite being thick skinned as a comedian.

You may try what I've been doing over the last year regarding "opinions". I collect them. I collect a lot of them. The majority was "spot on" as I was selective in whose opinion I sought. I also act on these opinions Chris. When I consider the source in some cases, I've been lucky to get the advice/"opinions" in the first place! What I do with them is very important. Occasionally I will explore the opinions of the apparent "inexperienced" as well - whatever that means as we are all learning - I hope. I've found a few gems of great thinking with facets of both linear and lateral thinking in people I didn't expect it from.

But the best suggestions I've collected were those that pointed out a weakness in my work and followed with one or more suggestions on fixing it. You can't get any luckier than that. Even the distant nod of the right person can communicate a progressive path.

I'm OK with you telling me I "suck" at this, but can you be more specific is what I'll ask.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Randy, great to hear from you.

I think the jury is still out on my "intelligence" ;-)

I enjoy spirited debate and I think we can do that and still good for magic.

I agree we can learn from everyone, experienced performers and soemone fairly new that may have a great take or tip. As you say, we're all still learning!

Chris

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Hey! You were smart enough to figure out that there may have been a problem. Some people never do. Worse than that, some of them have columns in national magazines!

And some of them do hurt magic.

I don't think you have actually been hurting magic.

But about that work in comedy clubs... Smile

Just kidding about that last part.

Seriously, some of my most rewarding work has been in comedy clubs. It's different. But it gives you a chance to work your act in a way that you cannot do it anywhere else. And it gives you a place you can go to be bad.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Bill, I always value you're opinion and appreciate your thoughts.

Well, wether I was good for it or not, I darn well am going to be in the future!!

Comedy Clubs are a strange animal. You get up there and your butt is hanging out there. You can shine or fail.

I have never done magic on stage though. I've always wanted to do Rich Marotta's fishbowl effect, but just haven't worked up the right routine. Out of respect for Rish, I'd want it to be as different as his as I can make it.

Chris

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
One of the strangest "comedy club" nights I had was working at a Ramada Inn in Palestine Texas. There were two of us, the comic and me. I'm not sure which one of us was the headliner. We each did 45 minutes. We were supposed to do two shows.

We did the first show. It went over fairly well.

When we got up to do the second show, the manager figured out that we were doing the same act we did for the first show. Trouble was, we were doing it for the same audience.

He didn't understand that when you go on the road with an act. You go on the road with AN act.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
I would of had a heart attack twice - for me and the manager. Oh man...

Ugh! I don't even want to look but what happened?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16554 Posts

Profile of tommy
Written words rather than words spoken face to face are easily taken the wrong way. Especially if your not the best writer in the work like what I am. Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
One of my favorite magic-thinker-writer's, Eugene Burger, sent me this quote; "The first step in following our dreams is waking up."

Enjoy it,
Kregg
POOF!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2006-07-22 08:56, kregg wrote:
One of my favorite magic-thinker-writer's, Eugene Burger, sent me this quote; "The first step in following our dreams is waking up."

Enjoy it,
Kregg

Kregg, I love that quoute. It's very moving!!!

Chris