The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Food for thought :: Taking more credit for the magic = more heat? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
limhanchung
View Profile
Veteran user
Malaysia
342 Posts

Profile of limhanchung
Hello

There are times when we magicians are doing the magic but sometimes it is done by some other mystical force. Lets take an example like the floating bill. A magician concentrates on the bill so it floats up and the situation where the bill just floats up on its own are 2 situations at opposite ends of this argument. Which situation do you think there will more of a chance that the audience will attempt to analyze the trick?

Thanks.

Han Chung Lim
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If it just floats up on its own, and the magician does not appear to be controlling it, who gets credit for the magic? Elves? Invisible fairies?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
When it does it on it's own, isn't the magician channeling the forces? Or at least putting the bill in a place where it will float? If the magician claims to have nothing to do with it, I'm going to run some tests myself.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Losander uses Static Electricity to float his bills. First it sticks to hid fingers, then it is drawn to them like a magnet and finally it float. Thus he is not using magic to accomplish the feat but demonstrating a little known property of the bill. I think presenting the effect in this manner takes a lot of heat off of the possibility of there being anything attached to the bill to make it float.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2006-07-09 11:12, Payne wrote:
Losander uses Static Electricity to float his bills. First it sticks to hid fingers, then it is drawn to them like a magnet and finally it float. Thus he is not using magic to accomplish the feat but demonstrating a little known property of the bill. I think presenting the effect in this manner takes a lot of heat off of the possibility of there being anything attached to the bill to make it float.

Unfortunately, that may in the end, diminish the magic, and pass it off as a mere scientific curiosity... not to say that that cannot be entertaining, in and of itself. Such diversions certainly earned their share of chapter space in the early magic books.

There could be many plausible causes for a bill to float, in the course of presentation, with varying degrees of connection (no pun) with the magician. The mere implication of the magician's INTENT to make the bill float can also be a factor in how the effect is perceived.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Aloy
View Profile
New user
Singapore
36 Posts

Profile of Aloy
Quote:
On 2006-07-09 06:18, limhanchung wrote:
Hello

There are times when we magicians are doing the magic but sometimes it is done by some other mystical force. Lets take an example like the floating bill. A magician concentrates on the bill so it floats up and the situation where the bill just floats up on its own are 2 situations at opposite ends of this argument. Which situation do you think there will more of a chance that the audience will attempt to analyze the trick?

Thanks.

Han Chung Lim

This is IMHO.

Sometimes, when you are walking in parks, you may notice a piece of leaf suspended in mid air, or you see a spider suspended in mid air, with no visible means of support.
Would your 1st instinct be that you have encountered an anti-gravity leaf or a flying spider? I suspect that most people will not give it a 2nd glance because they will immediately know/assume that it's hanging by a thread of spider web, even if they really couldn't see it at all.
There's no presentation/expection of magic, therefore, there's no magic. Their immediate logical assumption immediately explains it away.

In my opinion, without the psychological expectation of something strange or magicial happening, most of the things we do are no more than little curiousities that can be immediately analysed and explained away, even if incorrectly. It doesn't matter, because in their mind, nothing strange has happened.
So I think where it appears the magician is causing the magic, with a convincing presentation, if less likely to analysed.
Or at least, they are preped with unnatural/magicial expectations of the cause of the effect(e.g. Haunted house, urban legends, alien landing spot, etc).
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Who's to blame for this apparent miracle, using nothing but a cup and a ball!?
What say you Bill Palmer?
POOF!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I just simply use real magic to do everything. It is easier, no sleight to work out, and I never get busted.

I recommend you guys try this method.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2006-07-10 12:32, Dannydoyle wrote:
I just simply use real magic to do everything. It is easier, no sleight to work out, and I never get busted.

I recommend you guys try this method.

Where can I get this? Is there a DVD available?
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

I think real magic is overrated.
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2006-07-10 12:48, Josh the Superfluous wrote:
I think real magic is overrated.

You just say that cause you guys want to keep all the real secrets to yourselves and never help out us guys who are just starting out and you never want to help us or give us the secrets and I think you should give us the secrects because that's maybe how you learned magic and if you would give it out it would help make the magic world much better because a lot of people would want to do magic then and people have to learn somewhere but a lot of the older guys won't help out. that's why people don't like Chriss Angle becuase he helps us guys out with magic and noone around here will help me at all.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Vandy, I will resist taking this further. I don't want Han Chung Lim's post getting deleted, like all the other ones I've been involved with.

BTW Thanks for not saying, I was bad talking real magic because I couldn't do it well. I do it perfectly fine, I just choose not to.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
LOL, agreed. Han Chung Lim, please forgive my silliness on this thread.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27309 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
Losander uses Static Electricity to float his bills. First it sticks to hid fingers, then it is drawn to them like a magnet and finally it float. Thus he is not using magic to accomplish the feat but demonstrating a little known property of ...

I like the presentation and would enjoy it more if he followed it up by doing the same thing, the same way, with something much heavier like a book. The plausibility of the bill thing would be destroyed by the repeat performance using a heavier object and the "joke" would be enjoyed by all but the most gullible.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 2006-07-10 14:06, Vandy Grift wrote:...Chriss Angle becuase he helps us guys out with magic and noone around here will help me at all.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay you win, here is some help:

The guy's name is Criss Angel and the word is spelled "because".

Also, even if the voices say otherwise you are still one person.

Be the cause.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
Jonathan's sense of humor is so dry, it could be ground up and used as slush powder.
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

"I know of no other art that proclaims itself 'easy to do.'" -Master Payne

Ezekiel the Green
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
HA!!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2006-07-10 14:54, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
Losander uses Static Electricity to float his bills. First it sticks to hid fingers, then it is drawn to them like a magnet and finally it float. Thus he is not using magic to accomplish the feat but demonstrating a little known property of ...

I like the presentation and would enjoy it more if he followed it up by doing the same thing, the same way, with something much heavier like a book. The plausibility of the bill thing would be destroyed by the repeat performance using a heavier object and the "joke" would be enjoyed by all but the most gullible.

YES!! This works!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Moyle with Parkinsons
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
281 Posts

Profile of Moyle with Parkinsons
At risk of sounding stupid, if you wanted to play it off as the bill doing it could you not give the bill personality before making float and then be completely unaware of it floating? I think this would be really funny sort of an attack of the killer ten dollar bills Smile or something like that. Now if you are going to tell me a don't know what I am talking about please make the insults creative, funny and low brow, Thank-you.

Moyle
"Signatures cause far too much trouble!" an original quote by Moyle With Parkinsons.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2006-07-10 10:33, kregg wrote:
Who's to blame for this apparent miracle, using nothing but a cup and a ball!?
What say you Bill Palmer?

The Chinese.

Maybe the ancient Egyptians.

I'm still trying to figure that one out.

Regarding the idea of not taking credit for magic -- with the right audience, it can be as effective as taking credit for magic. I'll give you an example.

I have a friend who is a scientist. He knows two things:
1) there is no magic.
2) I can fool him with very simple things.

So he sits back and enjoys it.

One afternoon, we were sitting in a barbecue joint, waiting for our lunch to arrive. There was an air conditioner to my left, and a ketchup bottle directly in front of me. I also had a spider pen in my shirt pocket.

So, I sneakily attached the gaffus to the ketchup bottle. Then I rolled our receipt up and allowed it to unroll. The shape was amazingly like a Bernoulli curve. I very carefully slid the receipt over the gaffus, and using light pressure from my fingers, made it appear to be floating in the breeze coming off the airconditioner.

I had him completely convinced -- without saying a word -- that I could control that piece of paper well enough to let it float in that breeze.

Now think about this. It was almost as impossible as real magic.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Fornby
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Fornby
Quote:
On 2006-07-19 05:12, Bill Palmer wrote:
]I have a friend who is a scientist. He knows two things:
1) there is no magic.
2) I can fool him with very simple things.
So he sits back and enjoys it.

I like that quote! (Sorry to rip it out of context but...)
This is, IMHO, what the performer should accomplish: The audience sit back and enjoy...
Showing "tricks" w/o for example plausible presentations that at least loosely binds them together, will make the audience look more for how the tricks are done, than enjoying the magic of the show.

It's not an easy task,I know...
Gene