The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Food for thought :: Accepting Praise (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
How do you accept praise?

Many times we take criticism very hard.
Which is normal.
Some of us (especially me) welcome it because
we know its going to better us.

Yet praise is something else.
How do you accept it?
What do you say?

Especially when it could be for the most
part ... often.

Or when something out of left field and
completely unexpected is said to you.

Recently I received praise from someone
that compared me directly to Sergi Rachmoninoff.

Which to me is the utmost highest praise ever recieved.
Not that I haven't heard equally much.

But I adore Rachmoninoff as did many of his
contemporaries. He was three things: Composer,
Conductor and Performer. Which in the turn
of the century was uncommon.
he highly regarded by many and envied by
most of his generation. Specially Horowitz.
A trendsetter of his time to the present.

I may not be a Conductor as in the eyes we
see them as (Mheta, Levine, Berstien) but of
my own music, yes.

I pose the question above, to you all
because I am curious as entertainers ...

how do accept such words?
how does it affect you?
does it not go to your head?
how do you not let your EGO get huge?
what do you do keep yourself grounded?

Do we all do the same/different things with revews/comments?
How do we use them to better ourselves as people?
Or seperate us from being in "character" or "on" all the time?

thoughts welcome with curiousity.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
How do accept such words? Graciously and with a thank you.

how does it affect you? Makes me smile and blush a bit.

does it not go to your head? Yes, that's where the blush is.

how do you not let your EGO get huge? Watch a video made trying to keep from flashing coin/card/fill-in-the-blank.

what do you do keep yourself grounded? Pull weeds.

Do we all do the same/different things with reviews/comments? Probably not.

How do we use them to better ourselves as people? Praise keeps the I suck factor down and the I'm gonna get this move down factor up.

Or separate us from being in "character" or "on" all the time? I'm told I am a character so I'm not sure how that applies.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Great posts. thanks,

Jack Shalom
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I think Jerrine has said it very well.

Accept praise with grace, a smile and a thank you.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16556 Posts

Profile of tommy
How I would take it would depend on who gave it. If Ricky Jay paid me a compliment I would go dizzy. Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
wildarr
View Profile
New user
Isle of Palms, SC
80 Posts

Profile of wildarr
Being able to accept praise graciously is a talent. Too often, we are discouraged to call attention to ourselves (humility) or encouraged to disown our accompishments (arrogrance is BAD!).

As the wise Mr. Palmer states: "Accept praise with grace, a smile and a thank you."

Would that more people would remember this advice in more situations.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
BTW, I have heard Ms Thornside sing and play. She does both very well. She writes well, too.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Seance
View Profile
Elite user
Talking on the other side with
429 Posts

Profile of Seance
I always accept praise with appreciation and the knowledge that there are a lot of people who can perform better than me. That keeps my ego in check.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Sergei Vasilievich Rachmaninoff had very large hands as they were able to cover the interval of a thirteenth on the keyboard (a hand span of approximately twelve inches). If Rachmaninoff were also a magician, then I can only imagine the most beautiful card flourishes and magic effect he could have performed also.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2006-07-09 14:05, evolve629 wrote:
If Rachmaninoff were also a magician, then I can only imagine the most beautiful card flourishes and magic effect he could have performed also.

It might be the poorest demonstration ever. Rachmaninoff was one of God's gifts to MUSIC and Music lovers alike - nothing else.

By the way, have you had a chance to see Lee Asher and Jeff McBride's hands? They are most average in size and appearance. If I'm not mistaken, you can still go to Lee Asher's website and see an actual outline of his hand! Yep, you can put yours up against his. Smile
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
I always accept praise with this:

"Don't... Please... Don't... Don't Stop!"

It's an oldie, but it always gets a laugh. Smile
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
I'm waiting for the ambiguously MODEST magician to come and say:

"Well I never really experience it face to face as I'm always being rushed off. My assistants direct me down a stairwell or hallways backstage en route to my limousine. This happens all the time following my performances. In their excitement over my presence they tend to suffer a mob like mentality. They mean well but have to be avoided. You'd think the BEATLES were in town when I'm about. I do however, appreciate and accept the worshiping praise of those little people - funny they can be"...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I guess for praise and critical things I am always gracious on the outside no matter what. If they have taken the time to either priase or be what they feel is critically helpfull they do deserve some respect in my mind.

Afterwords I consider the source. Then act accordingly to try to correct or forget what was said.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2006-07-09 16:02, Dannydoyle wrote:
Afterwords I consider the source. Then act accordingly to try to correct or forget what was said.

Yes! Yes! Well Danny, you and I think exactly the same regarding praise and how we handle it. Someone above said if Ricky Jay gave them praise they'd be besides themselves.

I know that if Ricky Jay praised me for my "performance" I'd soon be waking from that pleasant dream......Praise...Shmaise...
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Quote:
On 2006-07-09 14:43, RandyStewart wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-07-09 14:05, evolve629 wrote:
If Rachmaninoff were also a magician, then I can only imagine the most beautiful card flourishes and magic effect he could have performed also.

It might be the poorest demonstration ever. Rachmaninoff was one of God's gifts to MUSIC and Music lovers alike - nothing else.

By the way, have you had a chance to see Lee Asher and Jeff McBride's hands? They are most average in size and appearance. If I'm not mistaken, you can still go to Lee Asher's website and see an actual outline of his hand! Yep, you can put yours up against his. Smile

Randy, I love Rachmaninoff for his music and his musical genius. I know as music was my minor in college.

Please don't shot back at me for say a big "If" statement. I have small hands and I am well aware of Lee Asher's hand that is posted in his website. I often use that example in my posting! And I for one am not trying to say big hands are better - it's all skills.
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
I was certain you felt that way evolve but made the comment for the poor souls who might wrongly believe their small hands will keep them from doing as well as the masters.

I wonder if a person with Big Feet would make a good tight rope walker.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Big Feet might be a very famous artist painting with feet and not tight rope walking.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
"Thank you. Now, about my fee."
POOF!
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Quote:
On 2006-07-08 23:12, Bill Palmer wrote:
BTW, I have heard Ms Thornside sing and play. She does both very well. She writes well, too.

you are too kind Bill...thank you!
I do my francesbest.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16556 Posts

Profile of tommy
There is one thing that one should be aware of, or wary of, when it comes to praise that might be heaped on you by show business people. That is they are very good actors and it is not easy to tell if they are real friends or not.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy