The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Food for thought :: Beginner’s Ethics question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Mary B.
View Profile
Café Tech Advisor
Howard City, Michigan
626 Posts

Profile of Mary B.
As a beginner, I would very much like to hear some opinions from experienced magicians on this question. I purchased a Hot Rod (Dave Powell's Goldenrod) and just recieved it in the mail. The trick itself is pretty neat, and I think that kids would like it, but I don't really care much for the prop.

I'm quite good at making many different types of things, and I think I could make a prettier Hot Rod - not for sale, but for my own use. I personally don't have an ethical problem with this, but I'd like to hear some pros and cons from you folks who DO make magic props for sale. Would you consider it an infringement on your copyright?

There are a couple of other props that I think I could "improve" on, for my own use. My hands are small, and a little arthritic - I just think it might be easier to do some of the tricks I bought with props that fit my hands better. Smile

Always do right.This will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Oh, heavens yes. If you've already bought the trick then you can do anything you want. I often remake or improve on equipment to fit my act or style or whatever.

Sable

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
Mary B.
View Profile
Café Tech Advisor
Howard City, Michigan
626 Posts

Profile of Mary B.
That's pretty much my take on it. Being completely ignorant of how most tricks work, and what the props look like, I'd have to buy the original in order to make one to fit me. I would anyway - I think it's the right thing to do.

Always do right.This will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Sable is right; if you've bought it, you can do whatever you want with it.

(Well, as long as it doesn't involve homicide, arson, or the death of small animals Smile )

I have many props that I have modified or re-made to suit my needs.

The only time any ethical problem might come up here is if you see someone do something and make up your own prop based on that viewing.

Otherwise (and your case is clearly an "otherwise"), go for it!

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
Mary B.
View Profile
Café Tech Advisor
Howard City, Michigan
626 Posts

Profile of Mary B.
Thanks, guys! I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be "stepping on anyone's toes" through ignorance.

Mary Smile Smile
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
[quote]
On 2002-01-05 14:26, Peter Marucci wrote:

Sable is right; if you've bought it, you can do whatever you want with it.

(Well, as long as it doesn't involve homicide, arson, or the death of small animals Smile )

Now you tell me! I guess my version of the bullet catch using a flaming Ferret shot out of a small cannon & a blindfolded spectator is out.

Well, it really didn't work in practice anyway.

Thank you for the advice Peter Smile

Smile
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Ichazod,

Well darn. Yours sounds even better than my exploding rooster trick.

Sable,

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3784 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
I guess my multiplying tarantula routine is out then. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Ichazod, is the ferret alive or dead before the trick begins?

Sable, same question about the rooster.

Steve, as long as nothing happens to the tarantulas, I suppose it's OK.

(But I'd hate to see what you do with The Web!

Smile )

And so, as the ferret said, "Weasel see you!"

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Peter,

Look under "Grand Illusions"--"Expoding Rooster (exposed).

Sable

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Right, semi, I'd forgotten about that.

I suppose it would be okay if you used a chicken-pull, though. Smile

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Of course, a chicken pull. I forgot about that thing. I think Abott's still sells them. Owen's has one too, but it costs more than my car.

Sable

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5938 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Not to interrupt your jocularity with the subject at hand but...

Be much more careful with what you say. Several have written 'you can do anything you want with the prop idea once you have purchased one'. People will read that in different ways and some will say, "See, he said I could do what I wanted so I made it the right color for my routine and sold about a dozen of the things."

I know that wasn't the intent but it is a common problem with statements about ethics, especially when these statements are being interpreted by beginners.

I just returned from a variety arts performer's four day workshop in which ethics and originality were both specific subjects and underlying purposes for being there. It was great to hear a discussion where the vast majority of participants were in agreement for strong originality.

Tom Cutts

Publisher, AM/PM

About Magic...Performing Magic
Mary B.
View Profile
Café Tech Advisor
Howard City, Michigan
626 Posts

Profile of Mary B.
Thanks for clarifying that, Tom. Being a "semi-pro" web designer, I am very careful about using copyrighted material, and I am well aware of the fact that it is unlawful to reproduce and distribute copyrighted material, whether it be physical objects or intellectual property. There are many younger folks on this board who may not be aware of that though, and for them, I do thank you for bringing that point out. Better safe than sorry!

Smile Mary B. Smile
vovin
View Profile
Veteran user
Columbus,Oh
338 Posts

Profile of vovin
I think the concept was you could modify it in any way you choose but selling it is crossing the moral boundary.